Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 04:05 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times

Advertisements

"An explosion at a coal mine in the town of Montcoal, West Virginia has killed 25 people, and become the worst mining disaster in the US since 1984. Although the tragedy is still unfolding, it is already becoming clear that this particular mine had failed several prior safety checks and questions are being asked about the security of the industry in the wake of the tragedy. A brief guide to how the disaster unfolded:"

The West Virginia mining disaster: What happened? - The Week

West Virginia mining disaster: Ways to help the victims' families -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 04:12 PM

FOXNews.com - Audit Cited Mine Inspectors for Training Problems Days Before W.Va. Explosion
In the past year, federal inspectors fined the operating company more than $382,000 for repeated serious violations involving its ventilation plan and equipment at Upper Big Branch. The violations also cover failing to follow the plan, allowing combustible coal dust to pile up, and having improper firefighting equipment.

Ellen Smith, owner of Mine Safety and Health News, told Fox News that the latest violation, for ventilation problems, came on March 30.
According to the report [from the Department of Labor's Office of Inspector General], MSHA officials said some inspectors were unable to find the time to attend training because they were so busy investigating a series of recent mining accidents.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:06 PM

The Montcoal, West Virginia, mine where Monday's fatal explosion took place received 458 citations from federal inspectors in 2009, and more than 50 of those were for problems that the operators knew about but had not corrected, according to federal mine safety records.

The federal Mine Safety and Health Administration hit the company with nearly $900,000 in fines in 2009 and has sought more than $100,000 in the first quarter of 2010. Inspectors cited the operators more than 100 times in the first quarter of 2010, including six times for "unwarrantable failure" to correct violations.
McAteer said on CNN's "American Morning" that "some companies, and this appears to be one, take the approach that these violations are simply a cost of doing business: It's cheaper for us to mine in an unsafe way or in a way that risks people's lives than it is for us to comply with the statutes, comply with the laws."

Mine deaths spark criticism of operator's record - CNN.com

Old 04-06-2010, 06:12 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
I hope they are able to get that last four out alive.

Mining regulations definitely need a serious review.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:34 PM

45,404 posts, read 60,592,880 times
The regs are reviewed every time a cave-in/explosion/whatever happens. One piece is that, from the sources cited, the inspectors are overwhelmed. The other piece is that coal mining is an inherently dangerous occupation. Those of you old enough think back to the 60s, it seemed that this was a monthly story.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The regs are reviewed every time a cave-in/explosion/whatever happens. One piece is that, from the sources cited, the inspectors are overwhelmed. The other piece is that coal mining is an inherently dangerous occupation. Those of you old enough think back to the 60s, it seemed that this was a monthly story.
Do you think this is true? The article in post #2 indicates some pretty expensive fines and fixes Massey was having to wrestle with.

"some companies, and this appears to be one, take the approach that these violations are simply a cost of doing business: It's cheaper for us to mine in an unsafe way or in a way that risks people's lives than it is for us to comply with the statutes, comply with the laws."

Old 04-06-2010, 06:43 PM

45,404 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Do you think this is true? The article in post #2 indicates some pretty expensive fines and fixes Massey was having to wrestle with.

"some companies, and this appears to be one, take the approach that these violations are simply a cost of doing business: It's cheaper for us to mine in an unsafe way or in a way that risks people's lives than it is for us to comply with the statutes, comply with the laws."

What did I say that was incorrect or false or even contradicted what you posted?
If you want to pick a fight, fine, but essentially I was agreeing with you for one of the few times. And adding some perspective from knowing some old timer deep miners while I was growing up.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
What did I say that was incorrect or false or even contradicted what you posted?
If you want to pick a fight, fine, but essentially I was agreeing with you for one of the few times. And adding some perspective from knowing some old timer deep miners while I was growing up.
Sheesh, I was just asking. It's an interesting question, one that businesses face constantly.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:22 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
What happened is that this firm is run by a crook.

Forbes, a bastion of big money, found lots to dislike so they did an expose' on the sleazy Blankenship who runs Massey. Intelligent readers would read between the line to know that Forbes was essentially predicting this disaster, and others. See this link:
Not King Coal - Forbes.com

That CEO is a big backer of the Tea Party, which fits the CEO's aim to destroy the power of the Federal government to regulate and oversee his unsafe operations.
Massey Energy & Don Blankenship: Million-dollar Tea Party sponsors | Crooks and Liars

Daily KOS repeats what I saw on the TV news last night, that he bankrolled people for the WV Supreme Court, who then decided cases in his favor. I have ties back to WV and this sort of buying and selling of politicians and judges is how it's done there. See this link:
Daily Kos: Blankenship's Candidates

There's enough money to be made in coal as it is, without being a crook. Blankenship / Massey represent the dark side of corporate behavior and why we MUST have strong regulatory oversight to prevent abuses and crimes.

Mine operators who'd rather pay the fines than fix the problems should have their mines closed until they fix the problems. Paying the fines doesn't fix the problems, forget the fines, close the mines until problems are fixed.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:37 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
My heart go's out to all of the family's who have lost loved ones, in the mining accident trajedy. But time and time again, we see much too oftern, too many of these frequent accidents happening more and more, and in different mining States. If the mines are not safe, then why not just freaking fix the problems. There should be some hefty fines to pay, someone has to answer to this trajedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies