Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 07:55 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
He served long enough in his district , 18 years. The UP of MI. is a big wide sparsely populated place and a lot of conservative rural folks will miss their Rep. The UP has long been known for a place few have ever been, or heard of , since the Copper run in the early 1900s. Calumet was once the largest city in Michigan , yet today is only known for the saying " don't cry fire in a crowed theater", when so many people died as a result of that action so long ago.
The UP is changing , Marquette County now holds the bulk of the population and most of it is Liberal , so , who knows, maybe Bart saw the handwriting on the wall , or , the Tea Party has scored another mark, its debatable. I for one voiced my comments to Bart in an email before the Vote, however , I doubt I had little to do with his quiting. Maybe others like me also did the same and it sank in...IE: Who could vote for someone who's personal religious convictions inter feared with the will of the Party and the People.?...he would not have been reelected in the less rural areas of his district, and he was going to be challenged by a quite Liberal opponent. She was or is from the Northern Lower Michigan area , so , the people of the UP still might not be represented fairly, time will tell. Maybe I should think about running myself, I would like the challenge,but not finding the funding to get the job done.......
Thanks for the heads up. So much more informative than
the usual flip one liners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 07:56 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Yeah..retire from politics maybe. He caved to WH pressure like others before him.
Wonder if he'll take another job and where it will be. Time will tell.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:57 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,594,614 times
Another one bites the dust..it's going to be a massacre in November and the progressives know it...love it..

Old 04-09-2010, 07:57 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Most Democrats are glad to see him go too. Stupak is a misogynist...like all those would dare to think they have the right to tell a woman what she can do with her own body..
Thats why Obama called him asking him not to retire and Pelosi and other democrats asked him not to retire

Old 04-09-2010, 08:00 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,208 times
He didn't look very proud of himself after caving in to pressure, did he?
Like a doctor coming to tell you that your loved one has died.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:00 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,232,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
After betraying his constituents and the right-to-lifers, Stupak is retiring.

I wonder what they bought his vote for.

Breaking: Stupak Will Retire - Politics - The Atlantic
Quote:
Stupak plans to continue to live in the district, the Democratic official said. He plans to say that as he opens a new chapter, he will continue to serve the people of the First District, just not as their congressman.
Sounds like big bucks as a lobbyist. Probly used 'Bama and Pelosi as references.

continue to serve the people of the First District <<< PEH on the effing sell out.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:01 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,432,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Thats why Obama called him asking him not to retire and Pelosi and other democrats asked him not to retire

Unlike you Republicans, Democrats don't take their orders from party leaders, talk show hosts, or Faux News.

Believe me, the progressive wing of the party is glad to see Stupak go...

Old 04-09-2010, 08:02 AM

2,205 posts, read 2,536,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Oh come on! You know why they called him, they do not want to admit that Americans had any affect on him by protestring his cave in. That sends a huge message to not only the House, but to all Americans.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:11 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Sounds like big bucks as a lobbyist. Probly used 'Bama and Pelosi as references.

continue to serve the people of the First District <<< PEH on the effing sell out.
An insulter that'll keep on insulting.

"Stupid" (vs. "Stupak") would be a tad closer to the real "meaning" of what he is.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:14 AM

533 posts, read 318,525 times
Or........maybe the guy just doesn't want to get shot and killed or have his family injured or killed by some lunatic out there who is anti-abortion. Maybe "politics" just isn't worth it at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies