Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2010, 07:44 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,040,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Wait, wait, wait.

So if a mother feeds a kid in a restaurant, then she is inconsiderate of the people around her and should do that outside.

But if a mother changes a dirty diaper outside, then she is inconsiderate of the people around her and should do that inside?

Lady, you have some serious mental issues
I never stated that a mother should breastfeed outside in the cold. My only suggestion was a car for privacy reasons. It would be best to breastfeed a baby indoors in a discreet manner. In the example I just gave, the mother was inconsiderate of both the people around her and especially her poor baby. She could have changed the baby in the restroom right across the street. It's clean and appropriate environment for a diaper changing.

I honestly do not know what the issue is - breastfeeding can be done discreetly and most mothers are discreet about it so what's the freakin' big deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 07:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,905,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I have ... On a freezing cold morning, a mother stripped her poor baby at a bus stop and proceeded to change the baby on a cold, hard bus bench out in the open. This was not in the middle of nowhere as there was a McDonald's with a fully functional and clean bathroom right across the street. The buses ran every ten minutes so it's not like she could not wait for the next bus. Apparently, this mother cared very little for the comfort and safety of her baby nor was she considerate of those around her. I honestly thought this lady had serious mental issues.
At least she wasn't changing the kid in a restaurant. That's what I was referring to anyway. Isn't it funny how some posters seem to have seen all of this stuff, and some of us have never seen it? I raised two kids, and still live in a town full of young families with little kids. I've never seen a parent change a child in a restaurant. (At the table, I mean.)

Old 04-11-2010, 07:46 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,752,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
There was a recent issue where a woman (on the large and homely side - I won't say cow-like again) removed the top to her bathing suit and decided her baby HAD to be nursed in the middle of a crowded pool. People complained but it was the perfect opportunity for her to go to the news media. Her 15 minutes of fame was available.
And that's just what Bethany was looking for.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
At least she wasn't changing the kid in a restaurant. That's what I was referring to anyway. Isn't it funny how some posters seem to have seen all of this stuff, and some of us have never seen it? I raised two kids, and still live in a town full of young families with little kids. I've never seen a parent change a child in a restaurant. (At the table, I mean.)
Now that I think about it, I have seen a mother changing a baby at a fast food restaurant once.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:50 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,326,998 times
Quote:
I never stated that a mother should breastfeed outside in the cold. My only suggestion was a car for privacy reasons.
So she should bring the car inside the restaurant?

That's not what 'Drive-Thru' means.

Quote:
It would be best to breastfeed a baby indoors in a discreet manner. In the example I just gave, the mother was inconsiderate of both the people around her and especially her poor baby. She could have changed the baby in the restroom right across the street. It's clean and appropriate environment for a diaper changing.
I wonder how many babies took a crap before McDonald's bathrooms were invented?

I think the big problem is who defines discreet? It makes sense to me that anywhere that is appropriate for an adult to eat is an appropriate place for an infant to eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
If I can tell you're doing it, it's not discreet.

I'm not sure why it's so difficult to find a modest corner or to cover up? Baby doesn't like to be covered up? Find a corner or wait to go to lunch until immediately after baby nurses, or bring a bottle, or or or...If you choose to have a baby, there are going to be inconveniences that come along with it. The world does not revolve around you and your infant.

There have been a few arguments that don't make sense to me.

1) "Bathing suits show more than a breastfeeding mom does, so public breastfeeding is fine." If someone wore a bathing suit into a restaurant, they'd be kicked out immediately. Bathing suits are appropriate at the pool, not eateries. (And yes, I'll buy that some bathing suits aren't even appropriate for the pool!)

2) "If you don't like it, look the other way." Bogus. That's the same argument people use when someone doesn't like the president, or a new law, or whatever. "Why don't you move to Canada then?" Doesn't solve anything, doesn't get to the real issue...it's just a cop out.

Bottom line...if you can't figure out a way to do it in a discreet manner (or you just refuse to), that's a problem.
Thank you for your well-articulated points. You are right about the swimsuit issue - Folks generally would not be allowed to visit a restaurant in their string bikini nor topless for the guys so why should open, indiscreet breastfeeding be allowed?

Quote:
If I can tell you're doing it, it's not discreet.

I'm not sure why it's so difficult to find a modest corner or to cover up? Baby doesn't like to be covered up? Find a corner or wait to go to lunch until immediately after baby nurses, or bring a bottle, or or or...If you choose to have a baby, there are going to be inconveniences that come along with it. The world does not revolve around you and your infant.

There have been a few arguments that don't make sense to me.

1) "Bathing suits show more than a breastfeeding mom does, so public breastfeeding is fine." If someone wore a bathing suit into a restaurant, they'd be kicked out immediately. Bathing suits are appropriate at the pool, not eateries. (And yes, I'll buy that some bathing suits aren't even appropriate for the pool!)

2) "If you don't like it, look the other way." Bogus. That's the same argument people use when someone doesn't like the president, or a new law, or whatever. "Why don't you move to Canada then?" Doesn't solve anything, doesn't get to the real issue...it's just a cop out.

Bottom line...if you can't figure out a way to do it in a discreet manner (or you just refuse to), that's a problem.
1) OK, forget the swimsuit comparison. However, do keep in mind that in many cases as much, if not more, breast is exposed in a swimsuit as in breast feeding. How about these skimpy low-cut halter tops that expose a good deal of "side boob"? These are allowed in most restaurants.

2) Sorry, completely disagree with you. If you don't like someone doing an activity that is perfectly legal in almost every state (probably every one when you run a cross between "public breastfeeding" laws and exemption of breast feeding from public nudity/indecent exposure laws), don't look! YOU can ask to be moved to a quiet table with your back to the rest of the diners. You might still be disturbed by a bunch of drunks, but I guess that's preferable.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:52 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,954,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
There have been a few arguments that don't make sense to me

If you choose to go into public places there are going to be inconveniences that come along with it. The world does not revolve around you and your breast phobia.
As a fully functioning adult member of society, I cannot avoid public places. I need to go grocery shopping and run errands, just like everyone else in this world. The logical conclusion is to make breast feeding discreet. Baby gets fed, mama gets her errands done, and the rest of society doesn't see anything.

Breast phobia...I'm no more afraid of breasts than I am of belly buttons or arm pits or bare feet, but I don't want to see any of those when I'm out either.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
As a fully functioning adult member of society, I cannot avoid public places. I need to go grocery shopping and run errands, just like everyone else in this world. The logical conclusion is to make breast feeding discreet. Baby gets fed, mama gets her errands done, and the rest of society doesn't see anything.

Breast phobia...I'm no more afraid of breasts than I am of belly buttons or arm pits or bare feet, but I don't want to see any of those when I'm out either.
Tough. It's legal. Deal with it.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:54 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,326,998 times
Quote:
Thank you for your well-articulated points. You are right about the swimsuit issue - Folks generally would not be allowed to visit a restaurant in their string bikini nor topless for the guys so why should open, indiscreet breastfeeding be allowed?
Let me think about this for a really long time...hmmm...

Perhaps because a restaurant is a place where people go to EAT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies