Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 09:41 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
What "H8?" Those, such as I, who want to preserve traditional marriage don't have any hate.
Really? And how would you describe the attitude of someone who would want to deny you the right to marry the person you love because of something about your life that really is no one's business but your own? And if you really are concerned with 'preserving traditional marriage', how about working on a way to lower the divorce rate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Good, it should NOT be on any ballot.

The majority of people in California have already spoken on this and DO NOT WANT IT. Why do they keep trying to cram this crap down the people's throats.

If I remember the last time the people said no and some looney liberal judge overturned the will of the people.

Why are liberals so insistent on not listening to the will of the people?

Get the heck over it, the majority of us do not WANT GAY MARRIAGE all across America.

I thought the majority rules but then again as long as the party of NO, the demNOcrats, keep going against the will of the people we can almost write them a ticket out of power, which is a good thing for America.
The highlighted is only true because the majority of us are not gay! Of course we don't want a gay marriage. But guess what? For those who DO want it, it is a very important issue and I, for one, will continue in whatever ways I can to help them fight for it. Because, in this republic, majority does not rule and never has. That is why we have a court system, including the SCOTUS, to ensure fairness in our society and laws.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:49 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times
Quote:
Who is we'll?

A marriage is between one man and one woman period.

Like it or not, the majority of this country are against two freaks being married.
I am one of those "freaks", and it is coming...whether it is called marriage or something else it is coming, and when it does what are you going to do about it?

Old 04-14-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
If it were a civil rights matter, the courts would have overturned the vote of the people with Proposition 8.
And I believe that, eventually, the SCOTUS will overturn Prop 8.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:51 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
This Christian simply must disagree with your assessment here. Nowhere did the previous poster indicate he though the ancients simply made up God for a laugh. But you are wrong in your assertion that there would have been 'no notion of a god' had there not been one to begin with. That's like saying 'there would never have been the idea of a unicorn (or elves or a hippogryph or a multitude of other creatures) if it had never existed.' The imagination of humans is a wondrous thing that can come up with all sorts of ideas and images that never actually existed in the material world. And that I believe is one of the best gifts God ever gave us.
Perhaps you could use a few lessons in sarcasm.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:57 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Really? And how would you describe the attitude of someone who would want to deny you the right to marry the person you love because of something about your life that really is no one's business but your own?
Emotionally fallacious?

Quote:
And if you really are concerned with 'preserving traditional marriage', how about working on a way to lower the divorce rate?
Sure, just as soon as we can figure out how to do such without infringing on their individual freedom of choice.

I would love it if people took their vows seriously and treated marriage with the respect it deserves. I also would love for peoples words to mean something, for them to not lie to fit their position, to take responsibility for their actions, etc...

But I can't enforce such, all I can do is encourage proper behavior.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:03 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
I am one of those "freaks", and it is coming...whether it is called marriage or something else it is coming, and when it does what are you going to do about it?
well, if it does, what are we going to do? Well... maybe continue to oppose its concept and get it reversed?

Other than that, what else can you do but chalk it up as another deterioration of basic logic and communication.

Or...

Maybe I will petition to change other words that I don't like their meaning when they apply to me? Maybe I could steal something and claim that steal means give? I could also speed and when the officer cites me for it, I can claim speeding actually means driving safely!

Yes, I see the possibilities now! If we all do such, we might have to have an online dictionary database that lists each word under each individual and their personalized definition for it. Just think, we could walk around talking to each other and have absolutely no clue what each other is saying because we would have to take hours making sure everyone has the current definition updated. Brilliant!

Old 04-14-2010, 10:05 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
No, it was on the ballot before 2008. I believe the year was 2000.
That was a ban on gay marriage, which did not previously exist.

Quote:
Why should I pick the lesser evil?
Because that's how life works.

Quote:
You are going way off topic. The reason the divorce rate is so high is the decay of morals in society and the fact that people don't try to save their marriages as hard as they did 50 years ago.
50 years ago it was much harder to get a divorce (although divorce rates were beginning to rise), and also there was more acceptance of male adultery while female adultery was strictly forbidden. If Tiger Woods was white and lived back then, there would have been no public stigma regarding his actions. Not to mention that in 1950s America it was far more normal for men to visit prostitutes than in 21st century America. The Kinsey figures indicate something like 75% of American men back then had messed around with hookers, today it's less than 30%.

Just because they didn't show this on Leave It To Beaver doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Remember that conservatives like Reagan came around to supporting no fault divorce because they thought it reduced adultery.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:15 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
Quote:
Who is we'll?

A marriage is between one man and one woman period.

Like it or not, the majority of this country are against two freaks being married.
doesn't matter what most people think... does what the majority of people think about your marriage have any weight in it's validity under the law??? of course not.
What's popular isn't what's always right and what's right isn't always popular

Marriage has been between one man and many women, and even one woman and many men.. it's never been ONE man and ONE woman exclusively over the ages. If you believe that.. then I have some wonderful property you'd might be interested in..

grow up and put a lid on your bigotry..

Everyone deserves the right to share their lives in a contract form recognized by their government with the person they love. It has already been ruled in past cases that marriage is indeed a basic fundamental right. Whether you believe it or not.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Honestly, your tradition and religion be damned when it comes to the expansion of basic human rights. That is a personal issue to you. If you keep kosher, for example, I'd expect you to keep that a personal thing, rather than to lobby for the outlaw of pork products because you're too socially immature to accept differences in beliefs.

Heaven forbid Americans be expected to think for themselves, rather than blindly follow the four times removed translations of a book written by men thousands of years ago which is not followed by the majority of human beings on this planet. If you want religion to rule your life, take a trip to the middle east and see how that's working out for them.

Maybe one day enough people will get sick of ignorance and outright stupidity and bigotry being justified by the Bible (just like y'all did with slavery, violence against and lack of rights for women, etc.) and other group-think religious organizations that would otherwise be called cults for the delusional by psychologists.
Wanted to rep you for this, but since I did once this morning already, will just give you thumbs up. I am a Christian and I still get disgusted by what some of my fellow Christians think and say about the rights of others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies