Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Straight white men face more discrimination in American society than any other group.
Agree 82 26.80%
Disagree 210 68.63%
Not sure 14 4.58%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 04:07 PM

504 posts, read 457,433 times

Advertisements

And its hilarious to listen to Hannity Beck and Limbaugh play the viloins while these nincompoops swallow every drop offered from this pity party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 04:15 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,400,054 times
As a straight white dude I do not think I am nearly as discriminated against as other groups. In fact I think the world is my oyster. On the other hand there are a lot of people, including many straight white guys, who are often underachievers and combined that with a bad understanding of history, think they are entitled to things because they are who they are and they way they think things happened in the past.

The fact of the matter is it's a human thing to look for scapegoats for ones own failures in life and it is easier to say "oh I did not get that job, or that university seat or whatever it is I wanted because it went to a woman and/or minority" rather then shape up and do better next time.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 04-19-2010 at 04:31 PM..

Old 04-19-2010, 04:17 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,100,281 times
ROTFLMAO...****BZZZZZ****....you lose.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:34 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,012,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I don't believe that the majority of heterosexual white men think of themselves as persecuted victims, but it's clear that some do. Perhaps those who believe they are discriminated against can explain why they feel this way.

Hahahaha. I'm laughing SO HARD.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:42 PM

968 posts, read 2,626,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I don't believe that the majority of heterosexual white men think of themselves as persecuted victims, but it's clear that some do. Perhaps those who believe they are discriminated against can explain why they feel this way.
i think this would have been more productive by asking for a race.

this thread shows that the white guy is discriminated against, cause i'm betting that the people who are ridiculing you aren't white.

this leads me to believe you are white, and if you check my profile, i'm a white hispanic.

as a light skinned hispanic i have been openly descriminated against in san antonio texas as being white, and then when i pronounce my last name in a heavy hispanic accent and speak a few words i have landed jobs on the spot.

hispanic people keep to their own, black people keep to their own, you cannot tell me that is not true because it has been documented.

i love the scholarships i have been offered simply for being hispanic, i have loved seeing faces of people who simply did not know i was mexican and then seeing my dad and instantly becoming my best bud...

i experience white discrimination every day.

i experience the benefit of being hispanic all the time.

i rest my case.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:53 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,458,165 times
I hate these racial undertone threads, i really do. However i totally disagree with that, i feel that GAY MEN AND WOMEN face more discrimination, then any other group. Any different racial group, at one time or another can be discriminated against. In America 2010 we really should get over the racial barriers that we have. Except for illegal's.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:56 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,143,565 times
Discrimination according to the OP is very different than the discrimination straight white men have encountered. The OP's example of discrimination would be blatant discrimination towards homosexuals. Discrimination of straight white men is far more subtle and nuanced, thus I'm not sure that it can be explained to someone who feels they are discriminated against on a daily basis. But it does exist.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:58 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,164,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
It may be the most whiny crybaby demographic, but definitely not the most discriminated against.
Perfect post...says it all.

They have had several thousands of years of dominance and didn't give a damn how anyone else was discriminated against but NOW IF they PERCEIVE that they MIGHT be discriminated against...OHH the wailing and moaning and crying..LOL!

Old 04-19-2010, 09:06 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,690,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
i think this would have been more productive by asking for a race.

this thread shows that the white guy is discriminated against, cause i'm betting that the people who are ridiculing you aren't white.

this leads me to believe you are white, and if you check my profile, i'm a white hispanic.

as a light skinned hispanic i have been openly descriminated against in san antonio texas as being white, and then when i pronounce my last name in a heavy hispanic accent and speak a few words i have landed jobs on the spot.

hispanic people keep to their own, black people keep to their own, you cannot tell me that is not true because it has been documented.

i love the scholarships i have been offered simply for being hispanic, i have loved seeing faces of people who simply did not know i was mexican and then seeing my dad and instantly becoming my best bud...

i experience white discrimination every day.

i experience the benefit of being hispanic all the time.

i rest my case.
I understand what you're saying. Tribalism heavily influences how we interact with each other. In fact, I can imagine that the answer to my question about discrimination against straight white men may depend on where those straight white men live and work. If they're in the minority, I can totally see how they could believe that they're being discriminated against - and they may be right.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:07 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,690,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Discrimination according to the OP is very different than the discrimination straight white men have encountered. The OP's example of discrimination would be blatant discrimination towards homosexuals. Discrimination of straight white men is far more subtle and nuanced, thus I'm not sure that it can be explained to someone who feels they are discriminated against on a daily basis. But it does exist.
You're making suppositions about me and my question that just aren't based in reality. Read my response to Orincarnia and you'll see that I do understand this phenomenon - perhaps a little better than you think.

My question has nothing to do with my sexual orientation, by the way. I think you read the question, saw that it was written by me, and then just assumed that I'm somehow biased against heterosexuals. Again, that would be an assumption that is not based in reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies