Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 09:34 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,317,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
So......they are claiming to be repaying money they never used?

The shell game being played by obama is transparent and dirty. Once again, his hardened, deadend supporters have been duped. You would think that after a while, they would realize they're being lied to.

FOXNews.com - Grassley Slams GM, Administration Over Loans Repaid With Bailout Money

In other words, they are lying.
Let's put it in easier terms so you'll understand. If I borrowed $100,000 and had five years to pay it back. Then I found out I wasn't going to need all of the $100,000 and so I made early payments to give back $75,000 of the money I borrowed and didn't need plus another $25,000 that I made by going mean and lean. Would you call that a shell game?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 09:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Let's put it in easier terms so you'll understand. If I borrowed $100,000 and had five years to pay it back. Then I found out I wasn't going to need all of the $100,000 and so I made early payments to give back $75,000 of the money I borrowed and didn't need plus another $25,000 that I made by going mean and lean. Would you call that a shell game?
No because that is the money from the same pot. If you only took out one loan then that is the same money you borrowed that you paid back.

Do you know how many different "loan" programs the government is currently running ? And each one is considered separate.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:48 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
They still OWE the government $43 Billion. The money was in ESCROW, meaning NOT in their possession. They never took the money, so it would be impossible to pay it back.

A better analogy would be a line of credit.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:01 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
They still OWE the government $43 Billion. The money was in ESCROW, meaning NOT in their possession. They never took the money, so it would be impossible to pay it back.

A better analogy would be a line of credit.
Understanding what took place may help you.

How Did GM Pay Off the Loans Early? - Cars - MiamiHerald.com

Old 04-23-2010, 04:44 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
How is this Obama in a positive light? The company burned through $25B in cash this year and took on $40B in NEW debt. What part of all of this is positive, and what the heck does it have to do with Obama? BUSH bailed them out.. NOT Obama..
CAUTION!

Here's a dose of reality. You may not want to get too close.

Bush 'rebuffed Obama on car industry bailout' - Times Online

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/11/wo....17704414.html

Obama questions viability of GM, Chrysler - Autos- msnbc.com

Bush resisted a bail-out for Detroit. Obama pushed it through last year against fairly stiff opposition.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:15 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,234,548 times
Still Government Motors
Quote:
As it turns out, the Obama administration put $13.4 billion of the aid money as "working capital" in an escrow account when the company was in bankruptcy. The company is using this escrow money--government money--to pay back the government loan.

GM claims that the fact that it is even using the escrow money to pay back the loan instead of using it all to shore itself up shows that it is on the road to recovery. That actually would be a positive development--although hardly one worth hyping in ads and columns--if it were not for a further plot twist.
Bend over, GM has a new electric prod it needs to park.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:28 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
CAUTION!

Here's a dose of reality. You may not want to get too close.

Bush 'rebuffed Obama on car industry bailout' - Times Online

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/11/wo....17704414.html

Obama questions viability of GM, Chrysler - Autos- msnbc.com

Bush resisted a bail-out for Detroit. Obama pushed it through last year against fairly stiff opposition.
What the heck are you smoking.. Will the government bail out GM as it did Chrysler? | Hubdub (http://www.hubdub.com/m12544/Will_the_government_bail_out_GM_as_it_did_Chrysler - broken link)
President Bush announce a loan package to both GM and Chrysler totaling $17.4 billion to insure that the companies would not go bankrupt. Although this is not exactly the same package as was offered to Chrysler back in the 1980's, it does satisfy the premise of the question.

In no way shape or form did OBAMA push the loan through.

Here is threads with liberals celebrating Bush taking action.
GM and chrysler bailed out by bush

Maybe liberals suffer from long term memory loss..

Old 04-25-2010, 09:56 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,570,627 times
That's less than 10% of what they currently owe taxpayers, and they will undoubtedly ask for more bailout bucks very soon, thanks to their anemic product lineup, and that forthcoming bound-to-be-a-major boondoggle known as the Volt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies