Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 04:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times

Advertisements

Why wouldn't GM be able to pay it back..most of their debt got wiped with their bankruptcy.
Bondholders and shareholders got wiped. Retirees are now on tax payer dime.

But we still have about 60% ownership via stock..June is but 6 weeks away so we'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 04:36 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

Meaning that wingnuts now see the capitalistic marketplace as a negative. Anything that shows Obama in a positive light bothers you.

It truly does.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:38 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Anything that shows Obama in a positive light bothers you.
How is this Obama in a positive light? The company burned through $25B in cash this year and took on $40B in NEW debt. What part of all of this is positive, and what the heck does it have to do with Obama? BUSH bailed them out.. NOT Obama..

Old 04-22-2010, 04:48 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,317,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I don't want to see those who have stolen from the original investors/creditors through strong-arm, chicago-style politics and tactics succeed.

They way obama basically voided contract law to GIVE the union a piece of the pie is disgusting and should not be rewarded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
How is this Obama in a positive light? The company burned through $25B in cash this year and took on $40B in NEW debt. What part of all of this is positive, and what the heck does it have to do with Obama? BUSH bailed them out.. NOT Obama..
It's really hard to keep up with you GM/UAW bashers. One of you says it's Obama's ballgame and one of you says it's Bush's gem. Either way, GM paying back its loans helps reduce the national debt and that does put Obama in a positive light.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:15 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
It's really hard to keep up with you GM/UAW bashers. One of you says it's Obama's ballgame and one of you says it's Bush's gem. Either way, GM paying back its loans helps reduce the national debt and that does put Obama in a positive light.
1) Conservatives are entitled to have differences of opinions from one another
2) Sanrene is still correct, and I have said nothing to dispute her comments.
3) BUSH bailed out GM.. An undeniably fact!!
4) Obama converted this loan into equity.. AN INDENIABLY FACT
5) GM is paying back its loans by taking out new loans from the government, which does NOT reduce the national debt..
6) I didnt like it when Bush bailed them out, I didnt like it when Obama bought equity
7) This reflects neither negatively, nor positively on Obama.. But you are in such a hurry to try to bash anyone for simply posting FACTS, that you ignore reality..

Old 04-22-2010, 05:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Go read the new updated thread on this...GM borrowed bailout money from the government to pay back the government loan.

So is that really paying it back ??? Not in my book.

new info on GM bailout

Old 04-22-2010, 05:35 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Go read the new updated thread on this...GM borrowed bailout money from the government to pay back the government loan.

new info on GM bailout
Yeah, I was going to post that... people are idiots to think that GM actually paid back the bailout.. I figure its just propaganda to get people "optimistic" about the future.. using government money to pay government debt is retarded.. GM is retarded... but without GM, Detroit will be a stinking hole in the ground as well as the rest of Michigan... I think that was the true reason for the bailout.. protecting the state, the company was just gravy on top... Its amazing that most news organization are ignoring that they are using borrowed government money to pay money owed to the government... perhaps it is a way to increase the CEO's bonuses at GM?? Don't know but wouldn't be surprised...

Old 04-22-2010, 05:38 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

new info on GM bailout
The 16 billion escrow account set up by the Obama Admin during Bankruptcy, required that by June 30, any remaining loan will be paid from this account. There is still a significant amount in that account, it's just that GM felt it would not need the amount of the loans, so why would they not pay them off early? Particularly, since what remains in that account, over 5 bil, is no longer restricted and can go into GM reserves.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:10 PM

817 posts, read 853,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Excellent news.

Meanwhile, Toyota issues another recall, faces major fines, and prepares for class-action lawsuits.

Go USA!
I'd still buy a toyota before a piece of overpriced junk made by GM. Actually I'm going to buy a car in a month or so. Either Honda or Acura.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:20 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The 16 billion escrow account set up by the Obama Admin during Bankruptcy, required that by June 30, any remaining loan will be paid from this account. There is still a significant amount in that account, it's just that GM felt it would not need the amount of the loans, so why would they not pay them off early? Particularly, since what remains in that account, over 5 bil, is no longer restricted and can go into GM reserves.
So......they are claiming to be repaying money they never used?

The shell game being played by obama is transparent and dirty. Once again, his hardened, deadend supporters have been duped. You would think that after a while, they would realize they're being lied to.

FOXNews.com - Grassley Slams GM, Administration Over Loans Repaid With Bailout Money

Quote:
"The bottom line seems to be that the TARP loans were 'repaid' with other TARP funds in a Treasury escrow account. The TARP loans were not repaid from money GM is earning selling cars, as GM and the administration have claimed in their speeches, press releases and television commercials," he wrote.

"I think the one thing that a lot of people overlook with this is where they got the money to pay back the loan. And it isn't from earnings. ... It's actually from another pool of TARP money that they've already received," he said Wednesday.
In other words, they are lying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies