Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 11:00 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,344,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Uh, didn't Bush start the bailouts?
Who did then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 11:04 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,344,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I suppose you aren't aware that Toyota employs thousands of workers here in the US.
So now the American worker is important to you??? They weren't important when you people started your "boycott" of GM.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:06 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,919,896 times
the UAW is actually suing GM right now over a VEBA payment dispute.

The United Auto Workers sued General Motors Co. on Tuesday, contending the Detroit automaker owes a union-run retiree health care fund $450 million.
The suit, filed in U.S. District Court in Detroit, contends that General Motors agreed in June 2007 to pay $450 million to settle a claim in Delphi Corp.'s bankruptcy.
Delphi refused to accept the claim and the company's best assets were purchased by a successor company, Delphi Holdings LLP, that exited bankruptcy on Oct. 6, 2007. Under the terms of the deal, the GM payment to the UAW was to be made after Delphi exited bankruptcy.

so who do you think winds up getting shafted either way?

From The Detroit News: UAW sues GM over VEBA payment dispute | detnews.com | The Detroit News (http://detnews.com/article/20100406/AUTO01/4060423/UAW-sues-GM-over-VEBA-payment-dispute#ixzz0lf2g3AS0 - broken link)

Old 04-20-2010, 11:29 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Though after the scr**ing the stockholders got when the government handed the company to the union, I don't know that I'll ever own another GM vehicle.
I'll never own one for similar reasons..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Those we disposed of during bankruptcy. That was kind of the main point of bankruptcy to begin with. All the pension obligations stayed with "old GM" (essentially all the assets and obligations GM didn't want) and "new" GM went forward. The retirees have much of their pensions insured by the Federal Pension Protection Act but the payouts are going to be much lower then promised. Essentially the total money in the pension fund will get divided up among the total number of claimants and that's how they'll decide what the pension fund can actually afford to pay but either way it is "old" GM's problem and has nothing to do with "new" GM.
Splitting a company into two, and giving good assets to company A, and bad liabilities to company B is illegal. Its a conversion of corporate assets. The judge let this go through because it was supported by the government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
1) The union holds 17% of the stock....that's hardly "handing the company over to the union."
Stock holders under bankruptcy get ZERO.. ZIP.. NADDA.. The fact that the union held 17% of the company under bankruptcy means they get NOTHING!!.. By definition that is the definition of bankruptcy. Tell me why unions receive something as a stock holder but us other investors get ZERO!!

Old 04-20-2010, 12:07 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,317,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
You know what...so would the rest of the shareholders in the company. Why did the union, who was a major contributor to the problems that GM was having, get a big, fat reward, while the rest of the shareholders got nothing? Cost me about $4k on the deal. My own fault though, should have bailed when the company was doing well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

Stock holders under bankruptcy get ZERO.. ZIP.. NADDA.. The fact that the union held 17% of the company under bankruptcy means they get NOTHING!!.. By definition that is the definition of bankruptcy. Tell me why unions receive something as a stock holder but us other investors get ZERO!!
At the time of the bankruptcy GM owed the UAW quite a bid of money to pay off for the VEBA trust that they forced on the union in the middle of the last decade. VEBA transferred all health care costs to the union and the company was to pay the UAW three lump payments for it but only made one. Because they owed the union so much money they were a major bondholder in bankruptcy court and major bondholders outrank stockholders. They were NOT stockholders before the bankruptcy. They got the stock in the reorganization instead of the cash owed to them and if that stock doesn't go up VEBA is grossly underfunded. Why is that so hard to understand?

---------------

Old 04-20-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
At the time of the bankruptcy GM owed the UAW quite a bid of money to pay off for the VEBA trust that they forced on the union in the middle of the last decade. VEBA transferred all health care costs to the union and the company was to pay the UAW three lump payments for it but only made one. Because they owed the union so much money they were a major bondholder in bankruptcy court and major bondholders outrank stockholders. They were NOT stockholders before the bankruptcy. They got the stock in the reorganization instead of the cash owed to them and if that stock doesn't go up VEBA is grossly underfunded. Why is that so hard to understand?

---------------
clearly then, no matter what, the bailouts are not over by a long shot.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:22 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Originally Posted by workingclasshero
then you agree, we should have NOT bailed out that MONOPOLY

GM has about 18% of the market. How on earth do you figure that is a monopoly? Do you even know what the term monopoly means?

yes I do know what a monopoly, or a CONGLOMERATION is...the FACT is when chevy and gmc, and buick, and oldsmobile(rip2004), and pontiac, and hummer, and saturn are all part of THE SAME COMPANY...that is a MONOPOLY

Old 04-20-2010, 10:25 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,519,352 times
well a long ways to go, still owe the US $45 billion, and Canada $8 billion, may be a while.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:27 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
you still havent answered my original post

Quote:
then you agree, we should have NOT bailed out that MONOPOLY

we should have let "GM" go to bankrupsy, and split the CONGLOMORATION up,, chevy, buick, pontiac, hummer, saturn, opel (the europe gm), and GMCetc...all INDIVIDUAL COMPANIES just like it was 70 years ago

do you think we should just BAILOUT failing monoploies just because someone says they are 'to big to fail'......what about the THOUSANDS of small companies that have gone bankrupt in the last 20 years?????

or are you FOR DISCRIMINATION....because that is what that was we DISCRIMINATED against some companies to support others

I want to support companies that can stay afloat...I have always been a chevy man...but I will NEVER buy another GM product
dont you argee it was wrong to 'bailout' these auto and financial companies.....why bailout a FAILING company....inprove a SOLVENT company, and make it better....get rid of the TRASH....and that includes fannie,freddie, and aig

Old 04-21-2010, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
well a long ways to go, still owe the US $45 billion, and Canada $8 billion, may be a while.
an interesting article on GM and the VEBA obligations. i wonder why this issue was ignored in the bankruptcy:

GM Sued By UAW For $450m Delphi VEBA Shortfall | The Truth About Cars

that chart shows looming future obligations in the continuing game of kick the can down the road. clearly they are going to need more bailouts or they are on their way to a chapter 7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies