Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 01:12 PM

571 posts, read 943,698 times

Advertisements

Ohio: Hey, at least we're not Oklahoma!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 02:00 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,958,589 times
Duplicate of post on 12-16-2009; Oklahoma did it anyway!

Quote:
Just this month, the state has voted and passed a law that ALL driver's license exams will be printed in English, and only English, and no other language. They have been called racist for doing this, but the fact is that ALL of the road signs are in English only. If you want to drive in Oklahoma , you must read and write English. Really simple.
I am not from OK and am not sure about this claim as Oklahoma Driver's Handbooks shows: Manual del conductor en español

And a 2008 article says: "Several other states, including Utah and Arizona, also have English-only driver’s tests. Oklahoma did until this year, but added Spanish because too many non-English speakers were driving without licenses." - English-only Driver Tests Proposed (http://www.amren.com/news/news04/04/08/minlanguages.html - broken link)

Old 04-20-2010, 02:07 PM

383 posts, read 222,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy_2007 View Post
Ok, besides the boatload of hearsay, assumptions and opinion ("Pelosi didn't like it", "Obama doesn't like any of this", etc...), I'm going to single out just one of these ridiculous claims - becasue it's one of my all-time favorite neocon strawmen. So fabricated, so false.

Name one. Just one. Name one bold step the federal government has made to take away your guns.
Please. Enlighten us.
How about every single anti gun law that passes that would be 1 more step to banning all guns.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:08 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSoul83 View Post
How about every single anti gun law that passes that would be 1 more step to banning all guns.
Name one. Please.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:09 PM

holy crap are you serious? Give me a minute I will post them for you.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
This is what is known as state rights. In fact often that is a good thing as long as it doesnt violate the constitution and listed in the constitution having a sloagon or anything else on the state capital building is fine. I am sure not everyone will like it but that is why we vote and can later have it removed. I see no reason people have to push to have the 10 commandments on anything in this country. Its in the bible and that is where it belongs and in the hearts and minds of individuals not on a building. If you have to vote on putting religious idealogy on government buildings I question the judgement of the system we have.

The problem with government is to many people make it the center point for social, religious and economic control.
Which is just what the founders knew and tried their best to balance the powers and set the BILL OF RIGHTS to stop the groups of people trying to control others.
I agree with you, but there's a point I'd like to bring up. (I'm not arguing with you. It's just a point that your post reminded me of.)

The Constitution was constructed for the purpose of giving the federal government more control than had been given under the Articles of Confederation. That's something that people seem to forget. If the Founders were as supportive of states' rights as some would have us believe, the Constitution would never have been crafted.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSoul83 View Post
holy crap are you serious? Give me a minute I will post them for you.
Sure. Federal only. Current only. In other words, show me where Obama is taking our guns away.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:15 PM

n an argument against gun control, the National Center for Policy Analysis, a non-profit conservative think tank, reported the following statistics:[124]
  • New Jersey adopted what sponsors described as "the most stringent gun law" in the nation in 1966; two years later the murder rate was up 46% and the reported robbery rate had nearly doubled.
  • In 1968, Hawaii imposed a series of increasingly harsh measures and its murder rate tripled from a low of 2.4 per 100,000 in 1968 to 7.2 by 1977.
  • In 1976, Washington, D.C., enacted one of the most restrictive gun control laws in the nation. Since then, the city's murder rate has risen 134% while the national murder rate has dropped 2%.
In addition:
  • As of 2006, approximately 35% of American households have a gun in them. About 22% of Americans actually own a gun.[125]
  • Evanston, Illinois, a Chicago suburb of 75,000 residents, became the largest town to ban handgun ownership in September 1982 but experienced no decline in violent crime. It has subsequently ended its ban as a result of the District of Columbia v. Heller Supreme Court case, upon a federal lawsuit by the National Rifle Association being filed the day after Heller was entered.
  • Among the 15 states with the highest homicide rates, 10 have restrictive or very restrictive gun laws.[126]
  • Twenty percent of U.S. homicides occur in four cities with just 6% of the population—New York, Chicago, Detroit, and Washington, D.C.—and each has or, in the cases of Detroit (until 2001) and D.C. (2008) had, a requirement for a licence on private handguns or an effective outright ban (in the case of Chicago).[127]
  • In England, Wales and Scotland, the private ownership of most handguns was banned in 1997 following a gun massacre at a school in Dunblane and an earlier gun massacre in Hungerford in which the combined deaths was 35 and injured 30. Gun ownership and gun crime was already at a low level, which made these slaughters particularly concerning. Only an estimated 57,000 people —0.1% of the population owned such weapons prior to the ban.[128] In the UK, only 8 per cent of all criminal homicides are committed with a firearm of any kind.[129] In 2005/6 the number of such deaths in England and Wales (population 53.3 million) was just 50, a reduction of 36 per cent on the year before and lower than at any time since 1998/9. The lowest rate of gun crime was in 2004/4 whilst the highest was in 1994.[citation needed] There was, however, a noticeable temporary increase in gun crime in the years immediately after the ban, though this has since fallen back. The reason for the increase has not been investigated thoroughly but it is thought that 3 factors may have raised the number of guns in circulation. These are, the reduction in gun crime in Northern Ireland (which led to guns coming from there to the criminal black market in England); guns (official issue or confiscated) acquired by military personnel in Iraq and Afghanistan; and guns coming from Eastern Europe after the fall of the iron curtain.[citation needed] Firearm injuries in England and Wales also noticeably increased in this time.[130] In 2005-06, of 5,001 such injuries, 3,474 (69%) were defined as "slight," and a further 965 (19%) involved the "firearm" being used as a blunt instrument. Twenty-four percent of injuries were caused with air guns, and 32% with "imitation firearms" (including airsoft guns).[131] Since 1998, the number of fatal shootings has varied between 49 and 97, and was 50 in 2005. In Scotland the picture has been more varied with no pattern of rise or fall appearing.[citation needed]
  • Violent crime accelerated in Jamaica after handguns were heavily restricted and a special Gun Court established.[132] However, a high proportion of the illegal guns in Jamaica can be attributed to guns smuggled in from the United states, where they are more freely available.[133]

Old 04-20-2010, 02:16 PM

n an argument against gun control, the National Center for Policy Analysis, a non-profit conservative think tank, reported the following statistics:[124]
  • New Jersey adopted what sponsors described as "the most stringent gun law" in the nation in 1966; two years later the murder rate was up 46% and the reported robbery rate had nearly doubled.
  • In 1968, Hawaii imposed a series of increasingly harsh measures and its murder rate tripled from a low of 2.4 per 100,000 in 1968 to 7.2 by 1977.
  • In 1976, Washington, D.C., enacted one of the most restrictive gun control laws in the nation. Since then, the city's murder rate has risen 134% while the national murder rate has dropped 2%.
In addition:
  • As of 2006, approximately 35% of American households have a gun in them. About 22% of Americans actually own a gun.[125]
  • Evanston, Illinois, a Chicago suburb of 75,000 residents, became the largest town to ban handgun ownership in September 1982 but experienced no decline in violent crime. It has subsequently ended its ban as a result of the District of Columbia v. Heller Supreme Court case, upon a federal lawsuit by the National Rifle Association being filed the day after Heller was entered.
  • Among the 15 states with the highest homicide rates, 10 have restrictive or very restrictive gun laws.[126]
  • Twenty percent of U.S. homicides occur in four cities with just 6% of the population—New York, Chicago, Detroit, and Washington, D.C.—and each has or, in the cases of Detroit (until 2001) and D.C. (2008) had, a requirement for a licence on private handguns or an effective outright ban (in the case of Chicago).[127]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies