Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 11:49 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times

Advertisements

N.J. School Budget Elections: The New Christie Paradigm is triumphant | Commentary | NewJerseyNewsroom.com -- Your State. Your News.

Quote:
It was evident even before the polls closed yesterday that the New Christie Paradigm had succeeded. The New Jersey electorate had been largely apathetic to school budget elections in the past, as evidenced by continuing abysmal turnout.The citizenry of New Jersey responded to the Governor's message by going to the polls in record numbers.
The people of NJ elected this republican in a democratic state, brought to it's knees by ruinous, decades-long democrat/liberal policies. It appears they are behind him 100% in the RIGHT way to tackle ballooning public sector expansion (unions) in the face of severe taxation and deficit spending.

Tax-weary N.J. voters reject record 59% of school budgets -

Quote:
New Jersey voters rejected a record 59% of school budgets yesterday, heeding Gov. Chris Christie's call to vote down property-tax hikes and spending plans that did not include a wage freeze for teachers.

The state has the highest property tax rates in the nation. Last year, voters approved 73% of school budgets, which included new levies.

Christie, a freshman Republican, called yesterday's vote "a seismic change that reflects, I believe, a changed attitude in New Jersey."
When the public at large learns just how much the public sector unions are sucking from the state (taxpayers) in order to keep their comfortable pay, lavish benefits, lifetime health care and outrageous pensions, is it any wonder that they say - No More?

RealClearPolitics - Bringing Thunder-ous Change to New Jersey

Quote:
He inherited a $2.2 billion deficit, and next year's projected deficit of $10.7 billion is, relative to the state's $29.3 billion budget, the nation's worst.
An $11 Billion deficit on a budget of $29 Billion? How did this happen?

Here's how (one factor);

Quote:
Partly to pay for teachers' benefits -- most contribute nothing to pay for their health insurance -- property taxes have increased 70 percent in 10 years, to an average annual cost to homeowners of $7,281. Christie proposes a 2.5 percent cap on annual increases.
These selfish, greedy union members paid NOTHING for their own health care and then squealed like stuck pigs when Christie asked them to contribute....1 1/5 %.

Simply amazing.

YouTube - Governor Christie on The Morning Joe Show - Part 1

The unions refused to take a one-year pay freeze.

And how did the Leftist unions respond to this modest proposal? With hate and vicious hyperbole:

Union Memo Hints At N.J. Gov.'s Death - wcbstv.com (http://wcbstv.com/local/governor.christie.union.2.1621917.html - broken link)

Quote:
It was in a controversial e-mail sent by the Bergen County Teachers Union to its members asking that Christie be "taken" by the Lord.

"To have the leader of the Bergen County Teachers Union send out an e-mail to their 17,000 members asking them to pray for my death I think just goes beyond the pale," Christie said.
Typical Leftist playbook:

The Associated Press: In NJ school cut debate, insults overshadow issues

Quote:
HADDONFIELD, N.J. — They're the kind of obscenity-laced schoolyard taunts that could get a student suspended.

But the target of this tirade is New Jersey's Gov. Chris Christie — and the perpetrators are the state's teachers, irate over his calls for salary freezes and funding cuts for schools.

In Facebook messages visible to the world — not to mention their students — the teachers have called Christie fat, compared him to a genocidal dictator and wished he was dead.
When that didn't work, the unions proceeded to USE the children.

NorthJersey.com: N.J. Gov. Christie accuses NJEA of using students as 'drug mules'

Quote:
TRENTON -- A day ahead of school budget elections statewide, Governor Christie Monday escalated his war of words with the state teachers union, accusing union representatives of "using the students like drug mules" to carry information about whether their parents planned to vote.

Christie cited what he called a "mandatory" homework assignment instructing children in the Monroe Township School District to interview their parents about whether and why they would vote Tuesday.
And...what do you know - IT WORKED!!

Parents came out in record numbers to vote.

This is what he's trying to stop:

Full Text of Gov. Chris Christie's speech on fiscal 'state of emergency' | - NJ.com

Quote:
One state retiree, 49 years old, paid, over the course of his entire career, a total of $124,000 towards his retirement pension and health benefits. What will we pay him? $3.3 million in pension payments over his life and nearly $500,000 for health care benefits -- a total of $3.8m on a $120,000 investment.
Out-friggin-rageous.

Another example: A retired teacher who has paid NOTHING over her career for med/den/vis will get $1.4 million in pension benefits and $215,000 in HC benefits.

Please, can ANYONE justify this?

Last edited by sanrene; 04-23-2010 at 12:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 11:53 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,578,437 times
Seems like a no BS type of guy. Probably wont have a long political career Which is a good thing

Old 04-23-2010, 12:12 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchuckie View Post
Seems like a no BS type of guy. Probably wont have a long political career Which is a good thing
Why is that a good thing?

He will need time to reverse the ruinous greed of the unions.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:13 PM

948 posts, read 894,821 times
What ya wanna bet his middle name is Christoph or Christopher.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:56 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,863,665 times
Hes approve rating is slipping and hes making bad choices. We need a Governor like the Mayor of Newark , hes really doing some unique money saving things. I love how people form outside the state , think hes all great.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:08 PM

470 posts, read 462,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Hes approve rating is slipping and hes making bad choices. We need a Governor like the Mayor of Newark , hes really doing some unique money saving things. I love how people form outside the state , think hes all great.
LOL the mayor of Newark????? That criminal? You have to be kidding. I live in this state too and Christie is doing the right things.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:24 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,541,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
N.J. School Budget Elections: The New Christie Paradigm is triumphant | Commentary | NewJerseyNewsroom.com -- Your State. Your News.

The people of NJ elected this republican in a democratic state, brought to it's knees by ruinous, decades-long democrat/liberal policies. It appears they are behind him 100% in the RIGHT way to tackle ballooning public sector expansion (unions) in the face of severe taxation and deficit spending.

Tax-weary N.J. voters reject record 59% of school budgets -

When the public at large learns just how much the public sector unions are sucking from the state (taxpayers) in order to keep their comfortable pay, lavish benefits, lifetime health care and outrageous pensions, is it any wonder that they say - No More?

RealClearPolitics - Bringing Thunder-ous Change to New Jersey

An $11 Billion deficit on a budget of $29 Billion? How did this happen?

Here's how (one factor);

These selfish, greedy union members paid NOTHING for their own health care and then squealed like stuck pigs when Christie asked them to contribute....1 1/5 %.

Simply amazing.

YouTube - Governor Christie on The Morning Joe Show - Part 1

The unions refused to take a one-year pay freeze.

And how did the Leftist unions respond to this modest proposal? With hate and vicious hyperbole:

Union Memo Hints At N.J. Gov.'s Death - wcbstv.com (http://wcbstv.com/local/governor.christie.union.2.1621917.html - broken link)

Typical Leftist playbook:

When that didn't work, the unions proceeded to USE the children.

NorthJersey.com: N.J. Gov. Christie accuses NJEA of using students as 'drug mules'

And...what do you know - IT WORKED!!

Parents came out in record numbers to vote.

This is what he's trying to stop:

Full Text of Gov. Chris Christie's speech on fiscal 'state of emergency' | - NJ.com

Out-friggin-rageous.

Another example: A retired teacher who has paid NOTHING over her career for med/den/vis will get $1.4 million in pension benefits and $215,000 in HC benefits.

Please, can ANYONE justify this?

I know how you get such great Joy out of trying to make this a left/right issue or some type of mandate on Obama, but in the case of many of us that voted that night its not. I too voted against the budget and was appauld at the amount that the state pays towards the teachers benefits. With that said, I also know my property taxes are going to go up more than the 2% Christie claims it should NOT.

Now on the flip side of that, Christie's approval numbers are slipping and this is not only among the democrats, but republicans as well. The vote was not in support of Christie and his mandate, but against the unions and the free ride they have recieved by BOTH THE REPUBLICAN AND DEMOCRATIC GOVERNMENT IN NJ. You see, we've had more Republican governors in NJ than Democrats over the last 20 years. Only the last 8 have been democrats.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:30 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,851,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Why is that a good thing?

He will need time to reverse the ruinous greed of the unions.
Time yes but to much time no because power can corrupt the most honest of people

He is doing an amazing job and hopefully the state sees the benefits of having him gov and gives him more time and then after him comes another that follows in his foot steps.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:30 PM

470 posts, read 462,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
I know how you get such great Joy out of trying to make this a left/right issue or some type of mandate on Obama, but in the case of many of us that voted that night its not. I too voted against the budget and was appauld at the amount that the state pays towards the teachers benefits. With that said, I also know my property taxes are going to go up more than the 2% Christie claims it should NOT.

Now on the flip side of that, Christie's approval numbers are slipping and this is not only among the democrats, but republicans as well. The vote was not in support of Christie and his mandate, but against the unions and the free ride they have recieved by BOTH THE REPUBLICAN AND DEMOCRATIC GOVERNMENT IN NJ. You see, we've had more Republican governors in NJ than Democrats over the last 20 years. Only the last 8 have been democrats.
I like how you just made up the part about there being more republican governors over the past 20 years. It would really do you some justice to do your homework before saying uninformed things. There were actually the same amount of rep and dem governors over the past 20 years. 5 each.List of Governors of New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-23-2010, 01:33 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,851,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post

Cant he just blame it on he inherited a mess and hes trying to clean up the mess the other guy left and all should be fine

( couldnt help it) Sorry

Appears you all had equal republican and democrat gov
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies