Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 10:17 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So you agree that someone should not be arrested because there is a suspicion that they they might beat their wife in the future?
No, I just think you may need to hone your High School debating skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 10:20 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
No, I just think you may need to hone your High School debating skills.
I'm not taking part in a high school debate. You might be, but since you seem to now admit this is what you are doing, isnt it customary to answer the question and not deflect?

Again, do you think individuals should be arrested because the MIGHT beat their wife in the future?

Old 04-26-2010, 10:27 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
So if the police are looking for a criminal, described as a 7' tall man who looks Chinese, then they should be forced to include short black grandmothers and fat white guys, so as not to be racially profiling?

If 95% of the illegal aliens in AZ are from Mexico and Central America, you want law enforcement looking for 7' tall Chinese men, short black grandmothers and fat white guys, so as not to be racially profiling?
Thats not what I'm saying at all.

What I'm saying, is you shouldn't pull people over, simply because they may be illegal alien. Thats racial profiling.

Now if the law was worded to say "you may check someones legal citizenship status, if they are doing activities that are related to illegal citizenship", I'd have no problem with that.

The main issue I see with this law, is it is to lightly worded. It gives officers to much power, with no guidelines on how to use that power.

For instance, if someone is standing at the corner of Home Depot, they could be illegal aliens, check them. But if someone is driving a old van, with two hispanic men in the front, thats not grounds to pull them over, in my mind. However, the AZ law allows for that, which is whats wrong with the bill.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:31 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
And how does one determine reasonable suspicion that you will be a FUTURE wife beater?
Drop it, already. Your claims become more patently ridiculous with each post. No one can be arrested for suspicion of eventually becoming a wife-beater. One can be arrested for reasonable suspicion of being about to beat one's wife.

Quote:
Since you dont seem to understand, how about you take the word of those with far more experience than either of us..
Oh, I understand fine. You are the one falling ever more desperately behind the curve.

Quote:
Harvard
EJF Newsletter
Two decades ago, in an effort to curb domestic violence, states began passing "mandatory arrest" laws. Police officers responding to a call for help would no longer need to determine whether one person was truly violent or out of control; every time someone reported abuse, the police would simply be required to make an arrest.
This article is irrelevant. It is about the drop-off in domestic abuse 911 calls that has followed passage of mandatory arrest laws.

Quote:
The Oregon Department of Human Services
Domestic Violence: Oregon Department of Human Services
In other counties, officers work under a mandatory arrest policy, but are unlikely to follow up on an incident if the perpetrator leaves the scene.
This article is irrelevant. The sentence above is the only one in the article that deals with mandatory arrest laws.

Quote:
This article is irrelevant. It is a mere abstract of an analysis concering the effectiveness of mandatory arrest laws.

Quote:
and even cases at the Supreme Court
CASTLE ROCK V. GONZALES
This case is irrelevant. It is about police failure to enforce a restraining order.

Do a lot of fishing, or is today really special?

[Pathetic]

Old 04-26-2010, 10:31 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,530,889 times
That man is very brave to stand up the right wing in this country. He could just sit there and say Im white no one will ever ask for my papers but instead he fights for whats right. Good man

Old 04-26-2010, 10:38 AM

2,476 posts, read 2,603,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teach1234 View Post
First step to a police state.

First they came for the illegals. I was no illegal, so I did not complain.

Next they came for the homosexuals. I was not homosexual, so I did not complain.

Next they came for me. There was nobody left to complain. So they took me.

A bit abbreviated, but folks, if the gov't can take one, they will take all.

Don't give them the power. You will regret it later.

LOLOLOL....see this is how insane some people are....They say Arizona is turning into a police state but we have a Pres. who is taking over everything from Financial/Auto and H.C. and say "Thats O.K."

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa I swear you people are nuts!

Old 04-26-2010, 10:42 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
I'm not soft peddling a thing.. Is it not true that the Arizona law enforces FEDERAL law?
What Federal law is that?

The one that says that the Federal government is supposed to protect our borders?

What about the 4th amendment that protects American citizens against illegal search and seizure?

You see, me, and most rational people, are on the side of BOTH of these laws.

We feel that there are ways to stop illegal immigration, without disobeying other parts of the Constitution.

You can't deny that with the current wording of the law, there is a chance that legal Hispanic citizens could be searched, to determine if they are illegal citizens, just because they are Hispanic.

Thats whats wrong with this law.

No one I've read, in all of these threads, or on TV, or anywhere, has said we should just ignore the immigration problem.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:49 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Go argue with Harvard if you think its not "mandatory".. Let them educate you on the issue..
Since Harvard said nothing relevant about the topic at hand, I'll just have to continue embarrassing you. The reported drop in 911 calls (and increase in domestic murders) following adoption of mandatory arrest laws does not further your insipid claim that people can be arrested and held for 48 without there being even the reasonable suspicion of a crime.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Drop it, already. Your claims become more patently ridiculous with each post. No one can be arrested for suspicion of eventually becoming a wife-beater. One can be arrested for reasonable suspicion of being about to beat one's wife.
Haha, one cant be arrested for suspicion of one day being a wife beater, only arrested for suspicion of a future wife beating which hasnt yet taken place.

Dam, not even my children could spin bs that well..
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
This article is irrelevant. It is about the drop-off in domestic abuse 911 calls that has followed passage of mandatory arrest laws.

This article is irrelevant. The sentence above is the only one in the article that deals with mandatory arrest laws.

This article is irrelevant. It is a mere abstract of an analysis concering the effectiveness of mandatory arrest laws.

This case is irrelevant. It is about police failure to enforce a restraining order.
oooh just when I thought it couldnt get any funnier, you prove me wrong.. Everything that proves you are wrong, is irrelevant. Histerical...

Old 04-26-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
What Federal law is that?

The one that says that the Federal government is supposed to protect our borders?
The one that says the federal government is responsible for detaining and expelling illegal aliens, titled federal immigration laws..
Quote:
What about the 4th amendment that protects American citizens against illegal search and seizure?
Are they being searched and whats being seized? They are being detained..
Quote:
You see, me, and most rational people, are on the side of BOTH of these laws.

We feel that there are ways to stop illegal immigration, without disobeying other parts of the Constitution.
I agree.. While I dont think this is the best method to detract illegals from coming across the border, it does not violate the constitution. Its borderline trust you, but enforcing laws already on the book at a federal level isnt a violation of the Constitution. I'd prefer they went after employers, but I'm not the one in charge..

Quote:
You can't deny that with the current wording of the law, there is a chance that legal Hispanic citizens could be searched, to determine if they are illegal citizens, just because they are Hispanic.
They will be detained, who's searching anything? Btw, this also includes canadians, cubans, arabs, or just about anyone. Do you think only hispanics are here illegally?
Quote:
Thats whats wrong with this law.

No one I've read, in all of these threads, or on TV, or anywhere, has said we should just ignore the immigration problem.
Isnt that what the federal government is doing? Ignoring the immigration problem? When ignoring it doesnt work, they then come up with solutions to legalize those who are violating the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies