Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 05:55 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Falling unemployment rates are spreading across the country as the recovery begin to take hold.

Unemployment rates fell or remained level in three-quarters of the 372 largest metropolitan areas, a sign that the economic recovery is widespread. The Labor Department said Wednesday the jobless rate dropped in 69 percent of metro areas last month from February. It rose in 24 percent of large cities and remained the same in the rest. That's an improvement from February, when the unemployment rate decreased in 51 percent of metro areas and increased in one-third.

Unemployment falls in a majority of US cities - Stocks & economy- msnbc.com

Ken
Sure. So says you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 06:00 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Sure. So says you.
Indeed I do - as I was saying even last fall "jobs will show up in the spring" - and lookie here, jobs showing up in the spring.
Imagine that.

Maybe all those "doom and gloom" crowd should have turned of the political pundit talk radio nonsense shows and starting looking at the DATA. It was pretty obvious that recovery was coming.

Ken

Old 04-28-2010, 06:05 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,708,526 times
Quote:
Indeed I do - as I was saying even last fall "jobs will show up in the spring" - and lookie here, jobs showing up in the spring.
Imagine that.

Maybe all those "doom and gloom" crowd should have turned of the political pundit talk radio nonsense shows and starting looking at the DATA. It was pretty obvious that recovery was coming.

Ken
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704423504575212104219854716.html?m od=djemalertMARKET http://boombustblog.com/reggie-middleton/2010/04/27/how-greece-killed-its-own-banks/ And I've been saying that the bubble will pop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zUUtf7gOe8

Old 04-28-2010, 06:11 PM

Once that bubble actually pops (asuming it even does) THEN you can say you are right. So far I've just not seen it. Stock market still doing well, economy still on the path to recovery.

Ken

Old 04-28-2010, 06:18 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,708,526 times
The pop of the bubble is not something that happens in a day. The Greek banks are toast. The US banks are doing the same thing that the Greel banks were doing. They are buying T bills on leverage. Downgrade the US's credit rating and they would loose money just like the Greek banks currently are doing. Give it 3 months on the short side and a year on the long side and we will be toast as well.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming View Post
The pop of the bubble is not something that happens in a day. The Greek banks are toast. The US banks are doing the same thing that the Greel banks were doing. They are buying T bills on leverage. Downgrade the US's credit rating and they would loose money just like the Greek banks currently are doing. Give it 3 months on the short side and a year on the long side and we will be toast as well.
Nope.
Totally different situation.
First of all, our national debt vs GDP is not nearly as bad as that of Greece. It's not even the worst it's ever been for us (that was at the end of WWII). Secondly our GDP is much larger than that of Greece - and growing at a significant clip as the economy recovers.

US credit rating is not going anywhere anytime soon. Though Moody's for example has expressed concern about the debt rating, these concerns are not likely to affect anything soon and are generally stated in terms like "could be downgraded one day if Washington failed to manage the federal debt." There is no immediacy in any of their statements and they are all referring to getting the debt under control in the long run rather than the short run - and I don't disagree with ANY of that. We definitely need to get our debt under control in the long run - and the best way to do that is to get the economy healthy again. Once it IS healthy again THEN it will be time to address the debt - and I have faith THAT WILL happen - just as it happened under Clinton.

Your "3 months to a year" is WAY off - and the debt will be starting to come down long before we reach that crises.

Moody’s Warns U.S. Debt Could Test Triple-A Rating - NYTimes.com

Ken

Old 04-28-2010, 06:42 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,996,400 times
More good news- as more states get tougher on illegal aliens, that means more Americans will be put back to work.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:06 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,796,244 times
We are starting to see signs of ife on the manufacturing side. Businesses across different sectors are starting to venture out and start hiring. Things picking up a bit on careerbuilder and monster.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:46 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Imagine that.

Ken
Why don't you take this cheery message to the unemployment threads and tell those people planning to protest for more extensions after their 99 weeks of checks run out and tell them to get off their rear ends and get to work - tell them the recession is over, Obama has fulfilled his promise to create 5 million jobs.

They'll be so happy to hear from you - believe me. Some of them seem rather worried about what they'll do if they don't get another extension.

It's high time and lets make sure Pelosi et al understand like you that the recession is over so the unemployment extensions are no longer given, it would just be a waste of government money.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:51 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I suggest you get on the employment forum of this site and have a look at what those people are saying. It doesn't jive with your rosey picture.
I just posted that before I read through all the posts but now I see you already had made this suggestion - it's a good one though. All that gloom and doom on the unemployment forums where they're acting -- apparently like Chicken Littles in Lord Baldfor's opinion.

It sounds like many of them believe unemployment rates are going down only because people are now being cut off -- if Pelosi doesn't get more extensions passed, there will be officially fewer people on unemployment and therefore they will now longer be counted as such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies