Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 12:27 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Indeed I do - as I was saying even last fall "jobs will show up in the spring" - and lookie here, jobs showing up in the spring.
Imagine that.

Maybe all those "doom and gloom" crowd should have turned of the political pundit talk radio nonsense shows and starting looking at the DATA. It was pretty obvious that recovery was coming.

Ken
Gald you like the new reality. More is coming soon to your town.Now go to the unemployeent thread and clelbrate it with those people; your news will be welcome ;I am sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 12:35 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
This is great news!

A year too late now that no one has a home left because of the failure of Obama to work on jobs instead of scamcare.

You do know that the REAL unemployment rate is higher because it takes into account those who dropped off the roles because they gave up looking for a job and or are no longer counted as unemployed right?

Has the unemployment rate went above 8.0% as Obama promised it would not go above 8%?

I know some people love to find something good to report but not putting the facts out makes ones argument very weak.

The numbers are being fudged and you do not even know it.

I like it when someone who was making 15.00 per hour before Obama and now is working for 7.00 per hour. Now that is great news right? And those people are counted in your numbers.

Jump for joy I am making half the money thanks to Obama!

Old 04-29-2010, 12:46 AM

216 posts, read 668,296 times
Hiring is on the rise. I lost my job in April and start a new one in May. A friend of mine who is a private banking professional and who has been out of work for 11 months, was offered a position with a major bank today. I myself was downsized less than a month ago and start my new job on Monday!

And not at a lower salary either. Was able to get the same salary and negotiated an extra week of vacation.

People that I know who work as recruiters have all said that things are getting busier for them.

It is hard for some to find work - there are many factors involved; their line of work, location, tenacity in finding work, etc. but from what I see personally, things are slowly picking up.

I've been a recruiter for some time and I won't put all of the blame on the workers. But I will tell you that even in this climate, people blow off interviews, show up late, don't dress professionally, have resumes with grammatical errors, take cellular calls during their interview and so on. There is a percentage of the unemployed who are unemployed because of this. Some of them can get interviews but bomb them and aren't hired.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:41 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,935,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosez View Post
I've been a recruiter for some time and I won't put all of the blame on the workers. But I will tell you that even in this climate, people blow off interviews, show up late, don't dress professionally, have resumes with grammatical errors, take cellular calls during their interview and so on. There is a percentage of the unemployed who are unemployed because of this. Some of them can get interviews but bomb them and aren't hired.
So, you have some professional judgement in this area... given that, what percent of workers, roughly, fall into this category?

Old 04-29-2010, 01:43 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,935,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
This is great news!

A year too late now that no one has a home left because of the failure of Obama to work on jobs instead of scamcare.

You do know that the REAL unemployment rate is higher because it takes into account those who dropped off the roles because they gave up looking for a job and or are no longer counted as unemployed right?

Has the unemployment rate went above 8.0% as Obama promised it would not go above 8%?

I know some people love to find something good to report but not putting the facts out makes ones argument very weak.

The numbers are being fudged and you do not even know it.

I like it when someone who was making 15.00 per hour before Obama and now is working for 7.00 per hour. Now that is great news right? And those people are counted in your numbers.

Jump for joy I am making half the money thanks to Obama!
When you drop your cell phone in the toilet, is that Obama's fault as well?

Old 04-29-2010, 02:03 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,076,143 times
In Pa it was a minimal decrease. Considering that factors in those no longer looking for work and a usual seasonal decrease, it was minimal at best. That was after 3 straight months of an increase in unemployment.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:36 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,734,425 times
Quote:
We'll be down to 8 "something" percent by the end of THIS year, and under 8% by next summer.

Ken
You need to talk to Obama's economic advisors because obviously you know something they don't.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:46 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,734,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Great news..After 8 years of imploding, Obama has turned the big ship around in just a year. Can't wait to see what those who simlpy hate him will say when the numbers catch up and unemployment begins to drop.
"Imploding?" I don't think so. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics the 8-year average for unemployment in the Bush years was 5.26%. Economists consider 5% full employment.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:51 AM

442 posts, read 965,718 times
Quote:
Falling unemployment rates are spreading across the country as the recovery begin to take hold.

Unemployment rates fell or remained level in three-quarters of the 372 largest metropolitan areas, a sign that the economic recovery is widespread. The Labor Department said Wednesday the jobless rate dropped in 69 percent of metro areas last month from February. It rose in 24 percent of large cities and remained the same in the rest. That's an improvement from February, when the unemployment rate decreased in 51 percent of metro areas and increased in one-third.

Unemployment falls in a majority of US cities - Stocks & economy- msnbc.com

Ken
I have not read the other posts (yes you can call me lazy) BUT I saw this on the news this am and I immediately thought, it has no where else to go but up....EVERYONE is on unemployment now.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:05 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trnsplntfrmNV View Post
I have not read the other posts (yes you can call me lazy) BUT I saw this on the news this am and I immediately thought, it has no where else to go but up....EVERYONE is on unemployment now.
Really?
That must be why over 80% of working Americans still have their jobs eh?

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies