Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 05:47 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishing View Post
If you harbor so much hatred towards American "Gringos" and also believe that we're a nation built on land theft (see how Mexico treated the Aztecs by the way), then why not leave? Perhaps your lovely Mexico can provide for you the comfortable life you enjoy here in the terrible USA, without having to be surrounded by people you despise.
Last time I check, a gringo was anyone from North of the border. I'm a white American, so I'm a gringo...and I don't hate myself.

What do you think of that one?

And also the last I heard, it was Texas that wanted to leave the US, and Arizona just instituted a "show me your papers, this is 1930's Germany-esque" law.

I'm quite content with my nation, unfortunately I have to share it.

I think you all should learn to be a bit more mature, it'll go distances in the real world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 05:59 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
Maybe Mexico just wants back what once belonged to it? Maybe we can sell these states to Mexico to alleviate our national debt?
Maybe we can sell the western U.S. - and - Mexico back to Spain, the we can give the money to Indians to pay the white man's debt.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:59 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
"There's no basemint in the Alamo!"

Old 05-01-2010, 08:13 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish View Post
Mexico has pretty much taken over Texas, California and the Southwestern States and are eyeing the rest of the country. They know they cant take the country militarily, so they have devised a great strategy and scheme to take it step by step and it’s apparently working so far.

This is done by;

1. By simply denying it’s citizens jobs and basic human social services like. e.g., Health Care, education, clean water, clean air and good roads.

2. By Mexican politicians and there politically connected cronies simply pocketing all the Pesos that are meant for the Mexican people. And for that matter, it’s not surprising that Mexico has or have the riches people in the world today as we speak.

3. By simply encouraging there nationals to flee to the US for relief, by providing training manuals and maps on how to dodge the US Border Patrol. And once in the US, on how to forge US and State issued government documents.

4. By simply having and funding it’s agents all over the US who are disguised as Mexican consul representatives, civil rights groups, or other so called humanitarian charities.

Remembering the Alamo, San Jacinto and other battles that took place in Texas, and for many Americans and most Texans, these battles have become symbols of patriotic sacrifice. It’s a shame that what General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna couldn’t achieve military in Texas is actually being achieved now in a simple note. General Sam Houston and other Texas revolutionary heroes must be turning over in there graves due to this and other events that we are seeing.
Two thoughts:
One, I live in Texas and funny thing is I have not noticed that the illegals have taken over the state. Do we have many working here and passing though on to other states, of-course, logical since we have a long border with Mexico. Can we close the border 100%, doubtful, could we stop the flow, only if we go after the reason they are here, those that hire them.
Second: You might read the names of those that fought for Texas Independence, you might learn that there are as many spanish names as anglo, maybe that is because they were here first and as many of them can call Texas their home as any other native Texans.
Casper

Old 05-01-2010, 09:27 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Actually Santa Ana returned to Mexico to find himself out of power. He then served as president sporadically 6 more times--fought as a general against both the French and the US during the Mexican-Ameican War(where he lost his wooden leg after it was captured by US troops), lived in exile in Jamaica, Colombia, Cuba, and Staten Island, NY before dying as an old man in Mexico City in 1876--almost 40 years after the Alamo.
Answers the question and then some. Thanks. I never studied the Texas war of Independence that close but do like the period. So ol' Santa Ana lived to fight against the likes of Grant, Lee, Armistead, Hood and the boys...interesting.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:07 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
I'd gladly give Mexico the keys to all of Texas, Oklahoma and Arizona and be done with it.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:12 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Answers the question and then some. Thanks. I never studied the Texas war of Independence that close but do like the period. So ol' Santa Ana lived to fight against the likes of Grant, Lee, Armistead, Hood and the boys...interesting.
Im going to check on that .I swear I read someplace he was caught and beheaded......Gezzzz

Old 05-01-2010, 10:20 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,196,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
I really think you and the entire state of Texas are in denial.

Texas was a Mexican state (part of its empire) and at some point in the 1820s-30s they opened the land for settlement by gringoes.

A war was faught over false pretenses, texas was independent, it joined the Union as a slave state, it left the Union to form the confederacy. The Union let it back in in 1865, and it's all been down hill since then.

Texas and Southwestern history in a nutshell.
Excuse me, sir, you seem to be misled. You are lumping in the rest of the Southwest with Texas. AZ and NM have histories very different from Texas.

I live in NM, so I'll give you a very brief history lesson:

NM is (or was, or still is) home to many Native American tribes, and was all the way up to the 1500s. The tribes here have an extremely rich history, some stories go back quite a ways before the Spaniards ever arrived.

Spaniards get here, colonize, Native Americans conquered, eventually revolt, then declare peace with the Spaniards again, found Albuquerque, Taos, Santa Fe..

Pike (of Pike's Peak fame) sent to explore southwestern part of LA purchase. Mexico breaks away from Spain, proceeds to do absolutely NOTHING with New Mexico for nearly 26 years.

Texas secedes from Mexico, declares land as far west and south of the Rio Grande as Texan. Texas expedition fails miserably when the (New) Mexican governor catches them.

US wins Mexican-American war, gets NM. Bottom parts of NM and AZ later purchased to form current border. NM never seceded from the Union when it was annexed as a territory, and there were in fact Civil War battles here (we were on the Union side)

In short, Mexico did nothing with NM, and this is especially shown with some northern communities of NM where they speak Spanish with Spanish dialects that are nearly 400 years old.

aaaaaaaaaaaaanyways, time to sort of get back on topic with this post.

Mexico took a gamble when they declared war on the US for annexing then-independent Texas. They lost the bet, just like world poker champions can lose thousands of dollars on one hand of poker. Tough cookies. Now people are catching flak for trying to protect that giant pile of poker chips we won..just as ANY OTHER COUNTRY would do.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:36 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,781,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I'd gladly give Mexico the keys to all of Texas, Oklahoma and Arizona and be done with it.

I'll gladly give Canada the keys to Michigan and be done with that......

Old 05-01-2010, 11:02 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish View Post
Patriotism to me is not a short frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime. I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my dear State of Texas. ….Eeeyyaaaaa!!!
That came across as a lot more frenzied than tranquil and steady to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies