Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 07:58 PM

648 posts, read 1,175,048 times

Advertisements

I used to like him, but thought "Relig-ulous' (or whatever that was called-- horrible name!) fell flat and didn't really dig that deep. Sure it's good to question religion & Christianity.. but mostly of this stuff we (critical thinkers) already knew.. and then he had to go pick on incredibly easy targets-- and film it. It was kinda painful to watch. Also his book was too horrible to believe-- sophomoric and blatantly misogynistic-- and not even in a funny, PC-backlash sort of way. It really showed his true colors, and it wasn't flattering. So I don't care much what he has to say anymore.... just sounds like a jaded, bitter, angry man... whose too much of an assh*le to get a decent woman, so then he blames women for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 08:06 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
As Alexander Pope warned, and as the truly educated among us is aware:
"is aware", huh. How truly educated is that? "the truly educated among us" is a collective of persons presumably acting individually. Such usage requires the plural. And aren't you actually the very same <yeledaf> who didn't know the difference between Dred Scott and Plessy v Ferguson???

Old 05-02-2010, 08:27 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
"is aware", huh. How truly educated is that? "the truly educated among us" is a collective of persons presumably acting individually. Such usage requires the plural. And aren't you actually the very same <yeledaf> who didn't know the difference between Dred Scott and Plessy v Ferguson???
" 'Is aware', huh?" you must mean, since you seem to be asking a question. Such syntax is obviously an interrogative.

Actually, I'm the very same person who made you so angry by reminding you that the first section of the First Amendment has TWO clauses...

But we digress. Which is someone's M.O.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
" 'Is aware', huh?" you must mean, since you seem to be asking a question. Such syntax is obviously an interrogative.
Depends on the intonation the author intends to be read.

Quote:
Actually, I'm the very same person who made you so angry by reminding you that the first section of the First Amendment has TWO clauses...
That's a laugh. I believe you must have me confused with <ParkTwain>, confusion being what it is in your world.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:54 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Depends on the intonation the author intends to be read.

That's a laugh. I believe you must have me confused with <ParkTwain>, confusion being what it is in your world.
<Shrug.> So start a new thread on why you hate my guts instead of hijacking this one.

Bill Maher remains an ignorant punk.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:04 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,021,863 times
Quote:
Bill Maher, brainiac, got slapped down this morning by George Will.

Maher typifies the permanently adolescent "progressive" thinker, whose sources of information so often turn out to be second-hand urban legends and a quick surf through Daily Kos, Mother Jones, and the Democratic Underground -- not unlike the behavior of chimpanzees who groom each other's fur constantly, searching for edible nits and bits of salt.

As Alexander Pope warned, and as the truly educated among us is aware:

A little learning is a dangerous thing;
Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:
There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
And drinking largely sobers us again.
Democrats should not listen to the people who are now saying they shouldn't attempt anything else big for a while because health care was such a bruising battle. Wrong --

because I learned something watching the lying bullies of the Right lose this one: when they're losing, they squeal like a pig. They kept saying things like, the bill was being "shoved down our throats" or the Democrats were "ramming it through." The bill was so big they couldn't take it all at once!

And I realized listening to this rhetoric that it reminded me of something: Tiger Woods' text messages to his mistress that were made public last week, where he said, and I quote,

"I want to treat you rough, throw you around, spank and slap you and make you sore. I want to hold you down and choke you while I **** that ass that I own. Then I'm going to tell you to shut the **** up while I slap your face and pull your hair for making noise." Unquote.

And this, I believe, perfectly represents the attitude

Democrats should now have in their dealings with the Republican Party: "Shut the **** up while I slap your face for making noise -- now pass a cap-and-trade law, you stupid *****, and repeat after me: 'global warming is real!'" - Bill Maher

Makes sense to me

Old 05-02-2010, 09:13 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,074,327 times
Yeah, Bill Maher stepped in it. It happens to all of us.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
<Shrug.> So start a new thread on why you hate my guts instead of hijacking this one.
You flatter yourself.

Quote:
Bill Maher remains an ignorant punk.
On account of overstating the impact of Brazil's ethanol production on its petroleum imports? Hmmm. Is this ignorant-punk-detection standard one that you have applied consistently over the years? How did Colin Powell come out after that UN dog and pony show?

Old 05-02-2010, 09:36 PM

634 posts, read 1,558,989 times
Bill Maher is like Rush ----he is all about sensationalism and grabbing headlines. What a fake.

Last edited by EllenArlingtonPark; 05-02-2010 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-02-2010, 09:40 PM

948 posts, read 894,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post

"I want to treat you rough, throw you around, spank and slap you and make you sore. I want to hold you down and choke you while I **** that ass that I own. Then I'm going to tell you to shut the **** up while I slap your face and pull your hair for making noise." Unquote.

Makes sense to me
Dayum! Thanks for that. My gf and I are about to go home and I'm riled up better than a cat on a hot, tin roof. I have some great pillow talking points now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies