Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 05:04 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
It was not "projected", the report came out AFTER the fiscal year, which ENDED in August.

It also did NOT include "savings" from other programs, it deals with savings due to FRAUD. The whole report is about achieving

significant results in our fight against health care fraud, waste, and abuse through the effective use of our statutory funding streams directed toward Medicare and Medicaid integrity activities

AND the $ total consisted of

Also for this FY, OIG reported exclusions of 3,129 individuals and entities for fraud or abuse involving Federal health care programs and/or their beneficiaries; 575 criminal actions against individuals or entities that engaged in crimes against departmental programs; and 342 civil actions, which included False Claims Act (FCA) and unjust enrichment lawsuits filed in Federal district court, Civil Monetary Penalties Law (CMPL) settlements, and administrative recoveries related to provider self-disclosure matters

Where does the "savings" come into play from these totals?

Seriously, what the hell do you think the report is about?

Do you even understand how overpayments in the medicare system take place? If you say yes, then explain it to me, just so I can see if you are correct.

Maybe your 8 year old nephew can explain it to you!!!
You honestly believe that over 20 billion in Medicare fraud was recovered in 2008?

From your link (page iii).

Quote:
For fiscal year (FY) 2008, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Office
of Inspector General (OIG) reported savings and expected recoveries of more than
$20.4 billion: $16.72 billion in implemented recommendations to put funds to better use,
$1.33 billion in audit receivables, and $2.35 billion* in investigative receivables.

Another nugget for you.

Quote:
In 2008, the recoveries for the Medicare Trust Fund totaled $1.9 billion.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...23SvAD9FM71N82

Last edited by jojajn; 05-13-2010 at 05:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 05:06 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Medicare Fraud Enforcement Efforts Recovered $2.5 Billion In 2009
That's great! Only $57.5 Billion to go!

Old 05-13-2010, 05:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Actually this article says most of it came from 2008 recoveries.

Stepped-up Medicare fraud enforcement snags $2.5B (http://www.daytondailynews.com/business/stepped-up-medicare-fraud-enforcement-snags-2-5stepped-up-medicare-fraud-enforcement-snags-2-5b-703870.html?cxtype=rss_business - broken link)

"Most of those figures are up from 2008, when the government won or negotiated $1 billion in judgments and settlements, and investigators opened 957 new criminal health care fraud investigations involving 1,641 potential defendants.

In 2008, the recoveries for the Medicare Trust Fund totaled $1.9 billion."

Old 05-13-2010, 06:09 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You honestly believe that over 20 billion in Medicare fraud was recovered in 2008?
Obama himself claimed there was $50B a year in fraud.. Do you remember how he planned to pay for the healthcare plan? Btw, that report was released 12/03/08, AFTER the fiscal year of 2008 ENDED..

And the total includes $650M from Merck settlement, and a $425M settlement from Cephalon. Unless of course you are now claiming Medicare didnt do ANY fraud checks for 2008.
Quote:
From your link (page iii).

For fiscal year (FY) 2008, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Office of Inspector General (OIG) reported savings and expected recoveries of more than $20.4 billion: $16.72 billion in implemented recommendations to put funds to better use, $1.33 billion in audit receivables, and $2.35 billion* in investigative receivables.
I'm sure the Inspector General from the HHS is more qualified than some anonymous poster to discuss the topic as to what they expect to recover... Unless of course you want to discuss your qualifications on the topic..
Quote:
Another nugget for you

In 2008, the recoveries for the Medicare Trust Fund totaled $1.9
Which is completely contradicted by the Department of Health and Human Services, who proclaimed $2.2B for the first half of 2008 ONLY, and didnt include such things as the Merck settlement which was nearly 1/2 a billion ALONE..
http://oig.hhs.gov/publications/docs/press/2008/semiannual_press_spring2008.pdf (broken link)

hell, lets go back another year, 2007, $2.9B in the first 1/2 of the year..
http://oig.hhs.gov/publications/docs/press/2007/Semiannual%20FirstHalf07PR.pdf (broken link)

Again, do you believe some google news story, or the reports from Medicare? I'd bet Medicare is more informed on the information. You did after all ask me to provide a GOVERNMENTAL source, and now that I've done so, you just keep babbling on about how the governmental reports must be wrong because some news story says so... SORRY but YOU FAILED...

Old 05-13-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Obama himself claimed there was $50B a year in fraud.. Do you remember how he planned to pay for the healthcare plan? Btw, that report was released 12/03/08, AFTER the fiscal year of 2008 ENDED..

And the total includes $650M from Merck settlement, and a $425M settlement from Cephalon. Unless of course you are now claiming Medicare didnt do ANY fraud checks for 2008.

I'm sure the Inspector General from the HHS is more qualified than some anonymous poster to discuss the topic as to what they expect to recover... Unless of course you want to discuss your qualifications on the topic..

Which is completely contradicted by the Department of Health and Human Services, who proclaimed $2.2B for the first half of 2008 ONLY, and didnt include such things as the Merck settlement which was nearly 1/2 a billion ALONE..
http://oig.hhs.gov/publications/docs/press/2008/semiannual_press_spring2008.pdf (broken link)

hell, lets go back another year, 2007, $2.9B in the first 1/2 of the year..
http://oig.hhs.gov/publications/docs/press/2007/Semiannual%20FirstHalf07PR.pdf (broken link)

Again, do you believe some google news story, or the reports from Medicare? I'd bet Medicare is more informed on the information. You did after all ask me to provide a GOVERNMENTAL source, and now that I've done so, you just keep babbling on about how the governmental reports must be wrong because some news story says so... SORRY but YOU FAILED...
I quoted from your link! What is your point that makes you so..........argumentative anyway?

Old 05-13-2010, 06:29 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
I quoted from your link! What is your point that makes you so..........argumentative anyway?
I know you quoted from my link, hell, I quoted the very same paragraph PAGES ago... Whats you point other than to pretend you know more than the Inspector General on the topic? Again, whats your qualifications?

Old 05-13-2010, 06:39 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
So what? It is in line with waht Bush did. I thought we were going to pay for health care with eliminating fraud and abuse. They are a tad short.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
http://www.ssa.gov/sitemap.htm

You can look up Trustee reports and do a search on "fraud" in the PDF to get the amount recovered for that year.

a more direct link:
http://www.cms.gov/reportstrustfunds/

Old 05-13-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
I know you quoted from my link, hell, I quoted the very same paragraph PAGES ago... Whats you point other than to pretend you know more than the Inspector General on the topic? Again, whats your qualifications?
What amount of Medicare fraud was recovered in 2008?

What amount of Medicare fraud was recovered in 2009?

You may use your Inspector General information to answer these questions.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:59 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
What amount of Medicare fraud was recovered in 2008?

What amount of Medicare fraud was recovered in 2009?

You may use your Inspector General information to answer these questions.

How much more was spent in 2009 than 2008? Was the amount recovered proportional? Also wasn't it the same bureaucrats doing the recovering? Not Obama's but the same folks who have been there for the previous 8 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies