Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 11:28 AM

37,146 posts, read 42,245,999 times

Advertisements

All the crap you are saying has happened as a result of craigslist has happend without craigslist as well. There is no upside to banning it. It's just a NEW thing people need to be careful about, which replaces and OLD thing people needed to be careful about...newspaper ads (Leonard Lake anyone?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 12:01 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,129,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Home invasions. Rapes. Murders.

All as a result of placing an ad on Craigslist.
No, they're a result of being stupid. Absent from your list is the case of the drug dealer that was peddling dope on CL and got himself arrested when he agreed to meet a buyer that was an undercover cop. Stupidity is universal.

Quote:
Should sites like Craigslist be banned?
Nope. CL is a great resource. Most recently, I purchased a WII from someone on CL. You can't be dumb about how you approach an advertiser, though. They're strangers, and by definition, you don't know anything about them. Don't assume that the deal that's too good to be true is true, don't invite strangers into your home or put yourself in a position to be harmed by them, and you'll be fine.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:08 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,129,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
OK, what is your definition of "ban" ?

WHO do you propose do the "banning"?
GD asked a question, WhoMe. He didn't advocate for anything. He was starting a conversation - that's all. Go back and re-read the OP with a less anti-Greatday mindset and you'll recognize this.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:21 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,162,825 times
Quote:
Remember, Craigslist has also been associated with being used to solicit acts of Prostitution.
So have Republicans and we , unfortunately, can't ban THEM.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:22 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,688,445 times
If you ban Craigslist, you may as well ban the entire internet. You can't stop people from freely exchanging information in a free society. Even countries like China can't ban everything.

This is what I don't understand about a lot of conservatives. They preach about freedom, but then they want to restrict or ban the things they that personally don't like. It makes no sense.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:25 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,162,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
GD asked a question, WhoMe. He didn't advocate for anything. He was starting a conversation - that's all. Go back and re-read the OP with a less anti-Greatday mindset and you'll recognize this.
A. I don't take orders from you.

B. the OP asked a question that occurred to HIM....a CL murder happened in my area and it NEVER occured to ME to ban CL.....Think that over.....

Old 05-15-2010, 12:30 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,474,289 times
CL is an amazing tool. I've sold homes on CL, sold and bought furniture on CL. Found and hired guys to do jobs on CL almost immediately.

But you must exercise caution anytime you deal with strangers.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:32 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,833,796 times
Quote:
Home invasions. Rapes. Murders.

All as a result of placing an ad on Craigslist. Here are some links to stories associated with Craigslist:

Craigslist diamond ad leads to deadly home invasion, police say - CNN.com

Man, 19, Charged In Craigslist Murder Case - wcco.com (http://wcco.com/local/katherine.ann.olson.2.461959.html - broken link)

And there are lots of others stories.

Should sites like Craigslist be banned?

NO... if i put an ad out there and its fake or real and your stupid enough to try and invade my home and i give you whats coming to you, then so be it lol

Old 05-15-2010, 12:37 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,795,077 times
Quote:
Remember, Craigslist has also been associated with being used to solicit acts of Prostitution.
That's disgusting and outrageous, I personally should be aware of all senseless disturbing acts such as these on craiglist, especially if these acts are taking place near where I live!!!

Old 05-15-2010, 12:40 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,023,600 times
I've sold plenty on Craigslist. The only thing that should be banned is low ball offers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies