Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 09:02 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,645,981 times

Advertisements

I'm glad I live where I do. There's been a bumper crop of strawberries and all the farms are loaded with people picking them. The farmers are happy. The people are happy. Strawberries are in the freezer and no one has sued anyone. We call it fun here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 09:20 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Maybe taking the risk would be acting more responsibly.
Responsible to whom? If the farmer and his/her family ends up in the soup line because he tried to be helpful that's not very responsible. Even if they could guarantee that nothing would happen why should they have to jump through all the hoops to be helpful? It's an unfortunate situation but that's the times we live in.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:22 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
I'm glad I live where I do. There's been a bumper crop of strawberries and all the farms are loaded with people picking them. The farmers are happy. The people are happy. Strawberries are in the freezer and no one has sued anyone. We call it fun here.
When I was kid there was a huge tomatoe farm nearby, many kids worked there ages 12 or 13+ and made some really good cash through the later part of the summer. Not anymore...

Old 05-17-2010, 09:51 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Is it the lawyers, or the juries?
Both.
Lawyers by trade are slick talkers. Its no surprise that many go into politics.
Then you have the juries with the deep pockets mentality and no desire to pay attention to facts. Its much easier to simply accept what the slicker of 2 lawyers tells you.
I know I have sat on more than a few juries.
The Russians said it best. The start of any good revolution is kill the lawyers.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:49 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,539,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
If you read the whole article, then followed up on the update here...
Strawberry farmers issue rebuttal over ABC News report (Includes interview)
They have no crop insurance available to them. They were trying to minimize losses because they're already in the red.

Note the tone of the rebuttal-- how unfair they only told one side. Yes, there are many sides to the story. There's the side of the homeless guy, the side of the farmer, and then there's the side of people who wish the 'waste' could be managed more reasonably.

Of course we have an abundance of pro tort reform people glomming onto this thread trying to prove their case. Why can't I just sign a waiver form to the farmer and volunteer to pick strawberries for the soup kitchen? Common sense works if we work it. No legislation needed.
Reading the first article I wanted to punch out those greedy farmers. Reading the update I wanted to give them all a warm hug.
I certainly hope the update is the more truthful article.
I wanted to rep you on your last paragraph (but couldn't) because it just makes so much sense.
As a child, my family (there were 9 of us) would climb into the station wagon (without seatbelts or restraints) amid many boxes and baskets and head to the farms. We picked our own fresh veggies and fruit and mom canned most of it. These are some of my fondest memories.
It really is sad that some farmers do not allow gleaners in the fields. So much food goes to waste and so many people go hungry.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:56 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,538,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
If you read the whole article, then followed up on the update here...
Strawberry farmers issue rebuttal over ABC News report (Includes interview)
They have no crop insurance available to them. They were trying to minimize losses because they're already in the red.

Note the tone of the rebuttal-- how unfair they only told one side. Yes, there are many sides to the story. There's the side of the homeless guy, the side of the farmer, and then there's the side of people who wish the 'waste' could be managed more reasonably.

Of course we have an abundance of pro tort reform people glomming onto this thread trying to prove their case. Why can't I just sign a waiver form to the farmer and volunteer to pick strawberries for the soup kitchen? Common sense works if we work it. No legislation needed.
Because stupid people will get injured and still find a way to file a lawsuit. Even though many tools and electrical appliances come with all sorts of warnings, people still injure themselves from their own stupidity and still find a way to file a lawsuit even though the warnings on the label were to try to protect the company from lawsuits.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:04 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,538,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Both.
Lawyers by trade are slick talkers. Its no surprise that many go into politics.
Then you have the juries with the deep pockets mentality and no desire to pay attention to facts. Its much easier to simply accept what the slicker of 2 lawyers tells you.
I know I have sat on more than a few juries.
The Russians said it best. The start of any good revolution is kill the lawyers.
The one lawsuit I sat in on was against Walmart. Guy wanted nearly $400,000 from Walmart. We awarded him about $25,000. He saw 5 doctors that told him he had back strain,...6 months bed rest. His lawyer's doctor said he needed an expensive medical device implanted in his back. Walmart was partially at fault. Their employee in a forklift came out from behind a storage container without looking first. However, the guy's truck skidded over 20 feet before hitting the forklift and moving it several feet (speeding). He injured his back when he slammed into the steering wheel of his truck (not wearing seatbelt). Since the guy was a construction worker, there's no real light duty in construction so we awarded him 6 months pay plus medical expenses for the first five doctors. Our jury had several men with heavy equipment experience and two nurses (one RN and one physical therapy nurse). Those with heavy equipment experience knew it took a lot to move that forklift like that. The two nurses saw he was abusing something they called a tems device and said abusing it the way he did was causing tears in the muscles in his back. We had one bleeding heart who wanted to give him more but she was overruled.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:56 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,326,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Responsible to whom? If the farmer and his/her family ends up in the soup line because he tried to be helpful that's not very responsible. Even if they could guarantee that nothing would happen why should they have to jump through all the hoops to be helpful? It's an unfortunate situation but that's the times we live in.
Why would everyone in that area grow strawberries?

Old 05-18-2010, 04:25 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,673,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Crop Policies and Pilots

This particular one might fit (from the link):

Revenue Protection policies insure producers against yield losses due to natural causes such as drought, excessive moisture, hail, wind, frost, insects, and disease, and revenue losses caused by a change in the harvest price from the projected price.
Prices that are too low are not "yield losses".

Old 05-18-2010, 05:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
I live in the not so frozen North and can barely wait until our strawberry crop is ready to harvest. I should be ready next month and then through July. We have several fruit farms in our town and they operate as pick your own farms. The public, us, is allowed to pick and charged by the basket. First we have strawberries, then raspberries, then pears, peaches and many varieties of apples. At the same time imported labor is harvesting the commercial crop. We also have several farms that provide really fresh eggs. I buy farm eggs for frying and store eggs for boiling.

IMHO the destruction of the Florida strawberry crop was just an example of controlling the supply to keep the price artificially high. Supermarket strawberries around here are way too expensive and not even ripe. If they had marketed the crop we would have bought a lot and either frozen them or make a lot of jam.

I have never heard of a lawsuit involving a pick your own operation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies