Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 03:41 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,306,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
One extra row of corn, wheat, or soybeans. One extra hog, cow, or chicken killed. Either way, some carbon-producing piece of machinery was used to harvest the product. If fewer people ate meat, more farmland is used. Wider swaths of land require greater use of carbon-emitting machinery.
I don't think you realize that many more acres of farmland are needed to feed one animal that feeds a person than acreage needed to feed a person. It's called trophic levels, you read about it in 8th grade biology. Each successive level is an energy waste. Here are some basic stats about carbon footprints
and diet from these articles (there are way too many to list). If everyone switched to a vegetarian diet, we'd require a LOT LESS farmland, which is the hugest irony.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/06/bu...4.6029437.html

Vegetarianism vs. Meat-Eating and Global Warming « Ancora Imparo

7 BIG ways to reduce your carbon footprint at EcoStreet - Green Consciousness

Vegetarian Diet Could Cut Climate Change Mitigation Costs by 70%, If Enough Of Us Make the Switch : TreeHugger

Quote:
So then it comes down to compassion for animals. Do you own a pet chicken, pet hog, or pet cow? Why not? Because they're made to eat, not cuddle with.
I don't own any sorts of pets, but if I did I'd probably have a pet pig (because they're smarter than dogs and as smart as three year olds), but that's outside of scope of relevance. "Made to" by whom? Are you implying some sort of design? The reason why we see certain animals as food is simply a matter of culture and economic convenience. No animals were 'meant' for anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 03:49 PM

329 posts, read 201,932 times
How much corn does it take to feed the ethanol beast??

As for pets my wife had one of those pot bellied buggers. He was awesome. Used to love rum and would get smashed and stagger around. Good wrastler too. I even saved energy by not running the garbage disposal.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:57 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
Do you eat soy products?

If so, what is the environmental impact of growing soy in this country (it being the #2 industrial agricultural product)?

which has a greater negative impact on the environment: A guy who hunts a rabbit and eats it, or a guy who eats "tofurky"?
False dichotomy. How many meat eaters in this country only eat wild meat? How many vegetarians eat tofurkey?

Almost a third of soybeans produced in the US go to feeding livestock. http://www.soystats.com/2010/Default-frames.htm

What is the impact of all US soy farming on the environment (minus that 1/3 for livestock) compared to the impact of all US meat farming on the environment? That's a more accurate analogy if you want to go that direction.

Look, I do eat meat. I also drive a gasoline car. But at least I don't deny the impact these things have to make myself feel better.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:01 PM

The UN report says that more carbon emissions come from animal farming than from all the cars, trucks, plains, seacraft in the world COMBINED.

I respect meat eaters like my ex who just admit they just enjoy the taste of meat and the convenience that comes with being a meat-eater than people who ignore or pig-headedly refuse to acknowledge the ethical and environmental implications of meat-eating.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post

Usually vegetarians/vegans are very proud to be (and there is nothing wrong with that, I have just said I buy them myself and make veggie patties at home, also) so why is it that they call/some products are called "veggie beef" or similar?
Because most people stopped eating meat over ethical/environmental concerns, not because they hate the taste of meat. It can aid in the transition, having foods that are similar to what we grew up eating, but without any of the cruelty/environmental implications.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:20 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Question, how do you feel when christians come to your home or on the street trying to save your soul by telling you about Jesus? Same thing! Mind your own business on what others eat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
One of the things I try to remind myself is that I have taken a pledge to treat not only animals with kindness, but humans as well. As difficult as they may sometimes be.

When meat-eating folks strike out at me, I often think that they feel defensive. Perhaps they have felt "attacked" by some of the more militant vegetarians in their past?

I gently try to encourage any and all who express any sort of curiosity about the vegetarian diet.

They say they cannot give up meat 100%? Ok then, how about trying to go vegetarian one or perhaps two days per week at first?

Worried about protein and nutrients? No problem. But at least consider giving up the larger animals (harder on the planet and more wasteful of resources) and stick with locally farmed chicken and fish you catch yourself?

Sometimes, when you present people with options you will create paths to a better understanding. Many are turned off by the "all or nothing" approach.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:30 PM

45,402 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Default Why do people get upset at vegetarians/vegans?

This:
Should we change whats normal eating habits?

Old 05-20-2010, 04:31 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I believe most of us find it wonderful when our views and that of others a respected and know very few people who question those who are vegetarians, but often the attitude of the vegetarian can bring out the worst in some. I have known a few who do not respect the views of meat eaters. They put themselves just a step above, feeling that they are slightly more knowledgable about what is healthy or care more about animals. I know other vegetarians or those very close who respect the right of others to eat the way they want. We have a granddaughter that isn't a vegetarian but she does eat very little meat, partly for health reasons, partly for her love of animals, but she would never push her views down others throats and cooks meat for her husband. I have another friend who is a vegatarian but if you didn't know it you would never figure it out.

Nita
I guess it is a bit like with religion or philosophy. Vegetarians tend to be people who think a lot about the world, human ways etc. So naturally they cannot think eating animals is just as good as not eating animals. If it did not matter to them, they might as well make their lives a lot easier and eat everything anybody else eats.
Can a Muslim honestly say that being Christian is as good as being Muslim? Or vice versa?

I guess there will always be frictions between the two sides, that is just natural. I would have problems too, if I did not eat alone anyway. When I was still working as an employee I sometimes had to have lunch with colleagues, and naturally I was disgusted eating at the same table as them. I am glad I can now pick who I eat with, and of course I only eat with fellow vegetarians or alone.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:33 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:

Are you sure you're not a vegetarian? Because you seem to take great offense that a woman would consider a man less manly if he shunned meat! Just an observation.

Read my posts on hunting or in the food forum and you will realise I am borderline carnivore. I actually like a lot of raw meat and fish unlike most people for example which grosses out a lot of people. And am still incredibly feminine. I don't even own a pair of pants...

Of course I would first take issues with women who are stupid enough to equate manliness with meat eating but you yourself seem to imply you agreed with them... Or was I mistaken ?

I do actually know a couple of blue collar vegetarians ( my painter decorator and my plumber both big butch guys about as macho as you can get , love sports, love beer etc... ) but of course you are right I suspect many western vegeterian males will be white collar guys.

Probably because they is a lot more pressure in blue collar jobs to conform to a certain image and because of coming from a different socio-economic background where vegetarianism is not the norm and viewed as "sissy".

Being blue collar does not make you manly and working as a Lawyer or University Professor does not make you unmanly.

Manly men come from all walks of life and thank goodness in all shapes, sizes and professions as well and are indiviudals like us all. There is not one type of manliness.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:42 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
I'd like to live where you live, because I'm tired of people picking on me for being vegetarian! I've even had someone tell me I was on the fast track to death because I don't eat meat. I am not humorless, I can take a good natured ribbing now and again, but seriously, I'm tired of people talking about my food and life choices in a negative manner and saying the same stupid things over again.
I don't think you would like living here, people eat anything that moves, there is hardly any sensitivity and awareness regarding animals, in this respect this country is very far behind northern countries such as Britain or Germany and probably even the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies