Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 03:33 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And pay off your CC's in full each month.
Move all your loans to a Credit Union too.
Pay down your debt.

That's a grassroots movement...do not do business with those bailout banksters. Don't pay them interest and don't use them for loans.

But, I doubt it will take hold..too many folks who stay with them "just because" they have always used them.
Let them get good and mad at the system that is messing them over. (I wanted to say screwdriver) Then it will work better and we all need to talk about it. nonstop. Getting out of debt is the biggest thing now we all need to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 06:30 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
And pay off your CC's in full each month.
Move all your loans to a Credit Union too.
Pay down your debt.

That's a grassroots movement...do not do business with those bailout banksters. Don't pay them interest and don't use them for loans.

But, I doubt it will take hold..too many folks who stay with them "just because" they have always used them.
You'd be surprised.

I moved our savings to a small community bank where I can get answers and service from a human being. Really, in person or on the phone. Isn't that wonderful?

I paid off all my CC's with the exception of the last two (one for DH and one for me). After they arbitrarily raised my interest rate (I always paid on time), I stopped using CC's. Now, I'm sending large payments to the one with the lowest balance. As soon as I'm done with that one, I'll tackle the last one. It feels good to see I'm making progress.

My car loans are thru State Farm Bank.

Nowadays, if I cannot pay for it with a debit card, then I don't need it.

As for Walmart, I don't think their prices are that great. Most of the time, I can do just as well or even better at Walgreens.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:21 PM

471 posts, read 600,829 times
Whatever benefits Walmart typically comes at the expense of what is good and noble. Whatever hurts Walmart typically benefits the noble and just.

Funny how stores like Costco can give decent pay and excellent benefits while offering good value and not forcing their workers on the Dole like Walmart. Walmart is only successful because of government largesse.

America and the world will be better off with Walmart relegated to the dustbin of history.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:03 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_HillBilly View Post
Walmart haters have to understand that Walmart is everything Americans allow it to be. It is our choice to allow it to exist.

There is not any better oversized, cheap, filled with crap, ugly, big box store to represent fat, gluttonous, corn syrup guzzling, oversized, lazy, belly bouncing, fok as they use 2 tons of metal to haul their lardasses around everywhere buying useless crap. I said it. Attack me as you wish. Call me arrogant. I just speak my mind.
There are no lard asses at our house but we do go to WalMart about once a week. We buy carefully especially with food. Yes you are a hater but I don't know whether it is WalMart you hate or just people who shop there.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Walmart could be giving it away for free and I still won't step foot in there.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:08 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Maybe people have enough money again to buy from a store that sells quality products.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:11 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Wal Mart has stumbled recently from its old " sell it low, sell a lot" strategy into some poorly researched new operating procedures. One is an inventory tracking system and it hasn't done anything to generate increased sales( just the opposite). Maybe they're keeping costs down for inventory on the corporate/ warehouse end( maybe) but they've added costs to payroll on the store levels with no increases in productivity or sales. My local Wal Mart has bigger aisles but fewer displays. They've also tinkered with utilizing ideas from the competition like Target, not a particularly well thought out plan. Target's been doing worse than Wal Mart.
There's seems to be a vacuum at the very top of the company not unlike what we have in the very top of government.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:48 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
Whatever benefits Walmart typically comes at the expense of what is good and noble. Whatever hurts Walmart typically benefits the noble and just.

Funny how stores like Costco can give decent pay and excellent benefits while offering good value and not forcing their workers on the Dole like Walmart. Walmart is only successful because of government largesse.

America and the world will be better off with Walmart relegated to the dustbin of history.
Please provide some documentation of this.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:00 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,005 times
Quote:
Walmart could be giving it away for free and I still won't step foot in there.
That is the way I feel as well. Could Walmart's business practices be called treason?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
You'd be surprised.

I moved our savings to a small community bank where I can get answers and service from a human being. Really, in person or on the phone. Isn't that wonderful?

I paid off all my CC's with the exception of the last two (one for DH and one for me). After they arbitrarily raised my interest rate (I always paid on time), I stopped using CC's. Now, I'm sending large payments to the one with the lowest balance. As soon as I'm done with that one, I'll tackle the last one. It feels good to see I'm making progress.

My car loans are thru State Farm Bank.

Nowadays, if I cannot pay for it with a debit card, then I don't need it.

As for Walmart, I don't think their prices are that great. Most of the time, I can do just as well or even better at Walgreens.
Credit unions are very different from banks. Banks are owned by share holders and those come first. Credit unions are owned by the depositors and those come first. I will not have a bank account. Not one I do have a credit union account.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:01 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
How many small, mom-and-pop businesses has Wal-Mart forced into oblivion throughout the United States? Their success has been nothing short of disaster for too many people. So now their sales are down? Too bad. I feel much worse for all of their victims.
And how many big box retailers were put of business because they were a one stop shop in NYC?

How many big box retailers can't survive in NYC because their customers can't carry too many bags on public transportation without the fear of getting a ticket for taking to much room (MTA Section 1050.7 subsection 10 (4) block free movement on a station, stairway, platform or conveyance ($50 fine)) ?

Where are Alexanders or E.J. Korvettes now in NYC??

Even the Flea Markets that used to be on McDonald Ave or at the end of Bay Pkwy are gone!!

Why do you think so many people travel to Green Acres on the Island??

People shop at smaller stores for convenience and pay a premium for it. When any chain comes to NYC a few small stores go under. Why? Because they can no longer charge higher than MSRP. Because they have to bring down their prices to be in-line with the real world. Walmarts prices (and other big box retailers) arent the greatest, they are just bringing prices to where they should be for it to be fair to all. The people who notice the large price differences are those who live in big cities and those who live in rural areas.

Last edited by Pruzhany; 05-28-2010 at 03:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies