Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 08:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
I can't speak to the other states Pensions deficit, but the problem with NJ's pension is two words, sticky fingers. We've had Governors on both sides of the isle, that dipped into these employees Pensions. Now when this was done to the Enron employee's everyone was up in arms, now we have the case of civil servants who's Pensions were in essence borrowed never repaid to plug up budget gaps.
Exactly what the Fed did to SS..borrow to spend and never pay back.
Now we have a pile of IOU's in the SS Trust Fund.

Sooner or later this debt bubble will burst. You cannot keep borrowing money that doesn't exist to pay off money that was borrowed and spent several times over and think you are balanced ??

Imagine if we tried that...CC maxed out so get another CC to pay it off and another CC to pay that one off and.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 08:31 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,539,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Exactly what the Fed did to SS..borrow to spend and never pay back.
Now we have a pile of IOU's in the SS Trust Fund.

Sooner or later this debt bubble will burst. You cannot keep borrowing money that doesn't exist to pay off money that was borrowed and spent several times over and think you are balanced ??

Imagine if we tried that...CC maxed out so get another CC to pay it off and another CC to pay that one off and.....

With that said, I believe its a little disingenuous to blame these workers, but let me be clear, i do not have any love for unions. But the city and state workers took these jobs that were already "unionized", to put the blame and issue on their shoulders is actually unfair, at least in the case of NJ. One question I've asked, but never got an answer, Folks tend to blame the union, but I see these people in a very small way useful, however they are a parasite at this time on this countries workers and the economy, how could any administration be it local, state or national successfully police the hold the unions have on the economy?

Old 05-21-2010, 08:39 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
I can't speak to the other states Pensions deficit, but the problem with NJ's pension is two words, sticky fingers. We've had Governors on both sides of the isle, that dipped into these employees Pensions. Now when this was done to the Enron employee's everyone was up in arms, now we have the case of civil servants who's Pensions were in essence borrowed never repaid to plug up budget gaps.
When you have an employee that has contributed a little over $100,000 to their pension and then gets a return of well OVER a million dollars, that is just insane.

When you have teachers, who don't pay a G-damned penny for their own health insurance, cry and whine about chipping in 1.5% of their pay, that is even more insane.

How do you JUSTIFY such lavish benefits?

Old 05-21-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
With that said, I believe its a little disingenuous to blame these workers, but let me be clear, i do not have any love for unions. But the city and state workers took these jobs that were already "unionized", to put the blame and issue on their shoulders is actually unfair, at least in the case of NJ. One question I've asked, but never got an answer, Folks tend to blame the union, but I see these people in a very small way useful, however they are a parasite at this time on this countries workers and the economy, how could any administration be it local, state or national successfully police the hold the unions have on the economy?
Negotiated contracts - no more Solid Gold benefits, pensions and pay.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
When you have an employee that has contributed a little over $100,000 to their pension and then gets a return of well OVER a million dollars, that is just insane.

When you have teachers, who don't pay a G-damned penny for their own health insurance, cry and whine about chipping in 1.5% of their pay, that is even more insane.

How do you JUSTIFY such lavish benefits?

Try not to go by talking point. There are only a FEW districts in NJ where this apply. NJ has 600 districts, each district negotiates their own contracts. With that said, there are more teachers in NJ paying towards their health benefits, then those that are not. Christie is providing talking points, try getting the actual information from the teacher and what they are actually paying towards their benefits. This is why NJ needs to merge all of these districts and have one collective teacher contract. But you WON'T here Christie talk about that at all.

Last edited by blackandproud; 05-21-2010 at 08:59 PM..

Old 05-21-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Negotiated contracts - no more Solid Gold benefits, pensions and pay.

There are 600 individual contracts with different terms and contributions. Try again.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Try not to go by talking point. There are only a FEW districts in NJ where this apply. NJ has 600 districts, each district negotiates their own contracts. With that said, there are more teachers in NJ paying towards their health benefits, then those that are not. Christie is providing talking points, try getting the actual information from the teacher and what they are actually paying towards their benefits. This is why NJ needs to merge all of these districts and have one collective teacher contract. But you WON'T here Christie talk about that at all.
Prove it.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Prove it.

You prove that there not instead of going by Christie. Oh forgot you only rely on talking points outside living outside of NJ.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:31 AM

2,847 posts, read 2,518,315 times
N.J. Pension Deficit Grows 35 Percent to $46 Billion (Update3) - BusinessWeek

N.J. Pension System Deficit Rises to $34.4 Billion (Update2) - Bloomberg.com

New Jersey Millionaire Tax Passage Likely; Christie Veto Looms - BusinessWeek

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/business/20100521_Business_news_in_brief.html#axzz0oflxWdUt (broken link)

Old 05-22-2010, 09:45 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Now, we all know obama is desperate to pass legislation that will bail out his union buddies...again....at the expense of the taxpayer.

Why state pension funds could need a $1 trillion bailout - May. 20, 2010

Really, public employee unions will be the death of this country - they are sucking it dry with their lavish compensation and benefits packages.
Public employees often work for less in wages that are made up for in benefits and pension pay. A decent accountant can make 2X in the private sector. They took the job on what was promised to them and it must be given to them. Now, I am for reform for NEW employees but those that were already hired should be given what they were promised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies