Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 03:20 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times

Advertisements

Oh my God. Gays aren't asking for the right to walk around the army being flaming queens. They're just asking to not have to lie every second of the day.

Every gay person knows how to feel the crowd and decide "how gay" they are allowed to be. There have been hate crimes in the military; I know one soldier in particular was murdered based on rumors he was gay but I forgot his name. So "serving openly" does not mean they're gonna start acting flaming every second of the day. This is seriously so stupid.

This is the most immature debate I have ever seen, forrealz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 03:21 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
And I'm tired of you people saying "nobody cares what way their door swings." Guess what, they are human beings too. You have never once justified why straight soldier's rights being infringed (and repealing DADT wouldn't infringe them so I don't get that either) is more important than gay soldier's rights.

This is idiotic.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:30 PM

34 posts, read 39,722 times
It would be "idiotic" and "immature" to repeal something with out having other guidelines in place to handle the situations that I listed in my previous post. It is a process and it is much more complicated than just going in and repealing "dadt". To do that would not only be "idiotic" but irresponsible as well.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:34 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthnbell View Post
It would be "idiotic" and "immature" to repeal something with out having other guidelines in place to handle the situations that I listed in my previous post. It is a process and it is much more complicated than just going in and repealing "dadt". To do that would not only be "idiotic" but irresponsible as well.
Thank you.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one here who sees that.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:39 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
"Gen. Colin Powell, once one of the architects of the military's "don't ask, don't tell" law, said this morning that he is personally in favor of repealing the policy. "Things have changed. That was 17 years ago," Powell said when asked about his past support for the ban during an appearance on ABC's "This Week." Powell said that he is "personally of the view now that attitudes have changed," adding that it's "perfectly acceptable" to repeal the law so long as the voices of the men and women in charge of executing the policy are heard in the process."

44 - Powell: "Things Have Changed" on "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"

Hopefully more of his party will move forward with him and the rest of the vast majority of Americans.
Did you try to leave the last part of his words out by darkening the rest of that sentence? Seriously I don't think you wanted anybody to notice them so you tried to make them seem unimportant. Powell said ....so long as the voices of the men and women in charge of executing the policy are heard in the process." and you tried to leave those words out of the quote. Yes, he feels as many of us do but we do believe that that part is of utmost importance.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:41 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,896,112 times
Just think I use to like that forked tonque piece of crap , him and Olve Oil too .

Something bad is happening to all our good people.

Old 05-30-2010, 05:36 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Did you try to leave the last part of his words out by darkening the rest of that sentence? Seriously I don't think you wanted anybody to notice them so you tried to make them seem unimportant. Powell said ....so long as the voices of the men and women in charge of executing the policy are heard in the process." and you tried to leave those words out of the quote. Yes, he feels as many of us do but we do believe that that part is of utmost importance.
That's pretty much what I said, too, roysoldboy, in my post on the first page of this thread. I highlighted that same sentence. Powell, who is personally in favor of it, gets it that those who are in charge of things should also be heard, in stark contrast to so many here on CD who think that the civilian voice should override everyone else's.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:20 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Perhaps this link will help clarify the situation, for there are 33 plus countries which do not have archaic laws regarding gays in the military and one of them is Russia.....

It's time for the U.S.A. to "put it's money where it's mouth is" and catch up with the rest of the developed world on social issues; unless we prefer to retain "third world" status on social progress also!

Sexual orientation and military service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For comparison...look at the list that treats it's gay citizens the same way that we do and disallows gays serving....I now assume that we are one of "those types of countries"...this is one of the reasons why the U.S.A. has so little credibility in the world during this century!

Old 05-30-2010, 06:22 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Americans VOTE for those they want to make laws. PERIOD. If those elected see fit to change an existing law, then that serves as the will of the people.

You're wrong if you think the military brass actually understands and cares what those 30 years their junior believe in. Young people which includes young soldiers see no problem in someone being openly gay. There are openly gay people in every walk of life except the military. It's about time the military and it's command moved into the 21st Century.
In relation to how the enlisted military members feel like:
Are you a career young military member? If not, you don't know what you are talking about, and if you are such a person, that's still your opinion. As far as I know, no heterosexual military man wants to take a shower with another man, specially one who is homosexual. Now, most heterosexual males in the military would not mind taking a shower with a whole bunch of women, lesbians included

Old 05-30-2010, 06:24 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,425,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
this is not a decision for the public-at-large to be making but one to be carefully considered and decided--and implemented, if/when the decision to repeal DADT is made--by those who know the situation best. That excludes 99% of the population.

The public-at-large is in charge of the military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies