Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 11:42 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,701,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
When conservatives are offended (PC) then they call it "anti-american" to cover their .....

Why are conservatives offended about somebody wearing a Che shirt?
That guy has been dead for several decades and 99% of people that wear it don't even know who he is.

Che shirt = conservatives offended = anti-american

Just shows the ignorance that have been fed to our youth to dumb them down. They have no clue who Che really was. As it sounds like you have no clue.

Ernesto "Che" Guevara (June 14,[1] 1928 – October 9, 1967), commonly known as El Che or simply Che, was an Argentine Marxist revolutionary, physician, author, intellectual, guerrilla leader, diplomat, military theorist, and major figure of the Cuban Revolution

Jacobo Machover, an exiled opposition author, dismisses the hero-worshipping and portrays him as a ruthless executioner.[217] Detractors have theorized that in much of Latin America, Che-inspired revolutions had the practical result of reinforcing brutal militarism and internecine conflict for many years.[218] In an assessment of Guevara, British historian Hugh Thomas opines that Che was a "brave, sincere and determined man who was also obstinate, narrow, and dogmatic."[219] At the end of his life, according to Thomas, "he seems to have become convinced of the virtues of violence for its own sake", while "his influence over Castro for good or evil" grew after his death, as Fidel took up many of his views. In Thomas' assessment "as in the case of Martí, or Lawrence of Arabia, failure has brightened, not dimmed the legend."[219] Alvaro Vargas Llosa of The Independent Institute has hypothesized that Guevara’s contemporary followers "delude themselves by clinging to a myth", while describing Guevara as "Marxist Puritan" who employed his rigid power to suppress dissent, while also operating as a "cold-blooded killing machine".[218] Llosa has also accused Guevara's "fanatical disposition" as being the linchpin of the "Sovietization" of the Cuban revolution, speculating that he possessed a "total subordination of reality to blind ideological orthodoxy."[218] Guevara remains a hated figure amongst many in the Cuban exile and Cuban-American community of the United States, who view him with animosity as "the butcher of La Cabaña."[220] Despite his polarized status, a high-contrast monochrome graphic of his face has become one of the world's most universally merchandized and objectified images,[221][222] found on an endless array of items, including t-shirts, hats, posters, tattoos, and bikinis,[223] ironically contributing to the consumer culture he despised
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 12:42 AM

436 posts, read 955,238 times
PC is crushing this country and it runs rampant on both the left and right cabals.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:16 PM

412 posts, read 405,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
Don't get confused...

Political Correctnes =

in a neutral sense,the replacement of anachronistic racist,sexist,outdated expressions from our everyday speech...
Example...humankind,instead of mankind,inhabited aerial vehicle,instead of manned aerial vehicle etc...

= in the concept of leftwing politics...
the imposition of "liberal"/lerftist /progressive terminology in USA politics .

Example...African - American,instead of black,homophobia,rightwinger,neocon etc.

Neutral PC is ok,

leftwing PC is just propaganda...
I'm going to have to disagree with you (though I appreciate your civil tone in explaining your views). "African-American" is just another way of saying "black". I don't really see what's so controversial about it. Most people don't care which term is used. "Black" vs "African-American" isn't any different from "rock" vs "stone" for me. The term Homophobia is a bit of a misnomer, I agree, but it's the only term that most people recognize to describe anti-gay bigotry. It's not always based in fear, as the "phobia" would suggest, but aside from partial linguistic inaccuracy, the term isn't controversial. Rightwinger isn't any different from leftwinger, and neocon is just a shortening of "neo-conservative" just like "lib" is a shortening of "liberal". It's usually used in a derogatory fashion, but I don't see how it fits the "political correctness" classification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Political correctness is just another annoying aspect of liberalism.
What makes it inherently "liberal"? Political correctness is the avoidance/shunning of language perceived to be offensive or undesirable. Whenever conservatives object to something somebody says, it's not treated as political correctness despite being pretty much the same as when liberals do it and are lambasted for supposedly engaging in it.
Example: When Helen Thomas said that the Jews should "Get out of Palestine" there was a lot of outrage on both sides, particularly by conservatives. This eventually forced her into retirement. I personally think that this outrage was justified, as what she said was extremely offensive, but it raises questions about the role conservatives played in this. Aren't they the ones who mock the idea of avoiding causing offense? Don't they always bemoan PC for supposedly stifling freedom of speech by causing baclash when somebody says something offensive? If it were a conservative figure who said "the Palestinians should get out of Israel" and was then essentially forced out of his job, conservatives would have a field day of moaning about political correctness. Another example is the way that anyone who questioned the Iraq war or criticized Bush was accused of treason by the right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerNation View Post
PC is crushing this country and it runs rampant on both the left and right cabals.
How?

Old 06-13-2010, 12:50 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,339,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatermelonRat View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with you (though I appreciate your civil tone in explaining your views). "African-American" is just another way of saying "black".
Obama is an Irish-American!

A mick!

Old 06-13-2010, 12:52 PM

30,087 posts, read 18,704,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatermelonRat View Post
That's a blatant falsity. The concept of political correctness didn't emerge until the 70's and 80's, and didn't form into it's current usage until the 90's. It's an invented term for general trends in American speech that took place naturally. There was never a "political correctness movement".

Since you seem to be such an expert on the concept, why don't you give some examples. I have yet to hear a conservative give a coherent definition for "political correctness". My personal definition for the concept would be the attempt to minimize offense in language (in other words, things like inclusive language and people first language). To conservatives though, it seems to be whatever they want it to be. In the past week, I have heard it used several times, with five instances being particularly notable:

-On this website, somebody bemoaned political correctness when outrage was expressed at the use of the word "r-a-g-h-e-a-d".
-In the discussion section of an article about Nat Turner's slave rebellion, a poster denounced the article supposedly being to sympathetic to Turner, bringing up supposed political correctness. Note that the article was fairly dispassionate in nature and in fact devoted significant space to description of the white victims of the rebellion. But since it didn't use the poster's sensationalistic style that would not be out of place at stormfront, it was deemed political correctness.
-Somebody said that Climate Change was "politically correct" which is particularly baffling. I honestly can't see how this position was thought up. Like it or not, 95% of serious scientists acknowledge that the Earth is getting warmer due primarily to human activities. You can come up with conspiracy theories about tens of thousands of scientists conspiring to raise your heating bills, but come on, political correctness?
-Somebody claimed that I only supported Obama because of political correctness (personally, I'd say the fact that I'm a progressive is a bigger factor).
-A person complained about political correctness after being called a racist for claiming that blacks had smaller brains and were thus inherently more violent.

This was just in the past week in article comments, forums, and discussions. Which is why I brought this up.

Read it and weep. You have been brainwashed by the marxists and did not even know it. I think this is the problem with many liberals, who honestly feel as though thier political ideology was born of a positive, thoughtful, and altruistic movement. The facts are that liberalism is a tool of totalitarianism and is far from 'liberal". I just thought all liberals knew this and were fond of being fascists.

The Origins of Political Correctness :: Accuracy In Academia

http://business.highbeam.com/407717/...orrectness-and

Old 06-13-2010, 03:29 PM

406 posts, read 496,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Obama is an Irish-American!

A mick!

I'm fairly certain you just pissed off every mick out there! And he is only a half breed mick. Also known as: swirl, oreo, undercover brother, and well ill just stop there. I hope its not too PC for you guys. Oh, you people.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Political correctness is just another annoying aspect of liberalism. If someone is intentionally attempting to be derogatory in their choice of words, then that is what should be focused on... INTENT.

Posters here (and people in general) who intentionally call members of the Tea Party 'teabaggers' are intending to be derogatory. Some 85 year old woman who uses that term to refer to TP members probably has no clue what the connotation of that term is.
How 'bout Sarah Palin objecting to "retarded" (except when Rush Limbaugh uses it)? She didn't have the cojones to tell Rush it is inappropriate to use that term (and I agree with her).

Old 06-13-2010, 03:56 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,648,076 times
I think the idea of PC isn't bad. It had us rethink using offensive words that were already there. The "n" word, retards, micks, wops, guinees, (sp) redneck, et al. Things that were offensive and we knew they were. That's why we used them.

But like everything else it has gone too far and taken on a life of its own. Now everything is taken as an insult and you really have think before you say anything.

I really think people have become more thin skinned and whine more. JMO.

Also, half the words I used as examples were starred out. One was a term used for Mexicans and another for someone who is Polish. But the others are okay?

I'm confused now.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
Bush left an f*ing mess didn't he. Clinton turns over a healthy economy and a surplus. Eight years later, the place is a wreck.

1. Blame Bush- that is what your handlers say
2. Bill Clinton increased the national debt
3. George Bush increased the national debt
4. Every president of the last century increased the national debt
5. Obama has added to the debt at the greatest rate of any president in US history.

Liberalism must be a game of blame and not action- witness the Gulf disaster. Let's act-

Reduce spending now and stop this insane debt escalation. The drunken spending party is over- we are broke.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
I think the idea of PC isn't bad. It had us rethink using offensive words that were already there. The "n" word, retards, micks, wops, guinees, (sp) redneck, et al. Things that were offensive and we knew they were. That's why we used them.

But like everything else it has gone too far and taken on a life of its own. Now everything is taken as an insult and you really have think before you say anything.

I really think people have become more thin skinned and whine more. JMO.

Also, half the words I used as examples were starred out. One was a term used for Mexicans and another for someone who is Polish. But the others are okay?

I'm confused now.

Again, you do realize, don't you, that PC is the creation of Stalinism to change the meaning of words to make the population easier to enslave and manage?

I think you need to understand your liberal heritage and the fact that it is not based in the hippie movement of free love, but in the tyrannical hate or totalitarianism. Most liberals are just useful idiots for that cause and do not have any idea where thier thoughts originated.

Perhaps you really do not like totalitarianism and have just been an unwitting tool of the left. Read, educate yourself- there is time to change.

http://www.academia.org/the-origins-...l-correctness/

http://www.ourcivilisation.com/pc.htm

http://business.highbeam.com/407717/...orrectness-and
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies