Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Porsche
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 09:49 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,646,838 times

Advertisements

First Look: 2013 Porsche Cayman - Automobile Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 10:04 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times
Not bad looking, but not great looking. It's totally irrelevant for me since it's far out of my price range...I'll keep picturing myself in that $100k year job, and in that image, I'll still be driving a used Boxster or Cayman, but I'll be waiting to reach $150k/yr to purchase a new one. And I don't see that in the cards anytime in the near future...or my lifetime. Gotta imagine it till it's real I guess.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:07 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,148,399 times
I'd take a diesel but if I'm driving a Porsche, it won't be a crossover.

Edit: Oops, I read "Cayenne" not Cayman. I like the Cayman and would totally drive one. A 2 seater is a problem for me (kids) and I don't have the $$ for a third "fun" car...

Last edited by Cardiff Giant; 12-06-2012 at 10:38 PM.. Reason: I can't read

Old 12-06-2012, 10:26 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
I've always like the Cayman, but I really wish Porsche would offer a comparable engine to the Porsche Turbo. The Cayman, with its balanced weight distribution, could be an EXCELLENT performance vehicle but would compete directly with the most expensive and iconic 911.

The Cayman "S" is the only Cayman worth buying and at a BASE price of $65K and extraordinarily expensive options- it can hit $80K without much problem. For that sort of money...I'd look at a Z06 Corvette.

I guess I've never considered the Cayman because it just doesn't have the power that I love having in a sports car.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:47 AM

881 posts, read 2,091,564 times
It's as good as one could imagine - a lighter weight, more close coupled offering than the Carrera line (I can hustle a Cayman @ faster than a CS - go figure) in a beautiful wrapper. Of course, I'm still recovering from selling the Boxster...

Old 12-07-2012, 10:52 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,240 times
I like it a lot.

I loved the new look of the Boxster and hoped that the Cayman would look like it.

It looks way better than the previous version IMO and would buy one in a heartbeat if I could.

The thing is, is that unlike a 911 these cars are attainable (for me) within 5-7 years. Granted they'd be used and 5-7 years old but I might be able to manage...

Old 12-07-2012, 12:48 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
The Cayman (and Boxster) offer a chance to get into the Porsche brand for a lot cheaper than the 911, and makes Porsche ownership a lot more attainable.

I've had a Boxster S, it was a great car, and is almost universally liked by long time Porsche guys, because it's like the modern successor to the legendary 550.

The Cayman however has a mixed reception among Porsche enthusiasts, generally guys that have always owned 911's and also didn't like the idea of a Porsche SUV either. They think it cheapens the marquee, and to some extent they are right. But, I find that the guys who actually track their cars are a bit more forgiving of the Cayman, it can be a great track car for a lot less money than a 911, any version. Unfortunately that also contributes to its being known as the "poor man's Porsche."

Old 12-07-2012, 01:10 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
The Cayman (and Boxster) offer a chance to get into the Porsche brand for a lot cheaper than the 911, and makes Porsche ownership a lot more attainable.

I've had a Boxster S, it was a great car, and is almost universally liked by long time Porsche guys, because it's like the modern successor to the legendary 550.

The Cayman however has a mixed reception among Porsche enthusiasts, generally guys that have always owned 911's and also didn't like the idea of a Porsche SUV either. They think it cheapens the marquee, and to some extent they are right. But, I find that the guys who actually track their cars are a bit more forgiving of the Cayman, it can be a great track car for a lot less money than a 911, any version. Unfortunately that also contributes to its being known as the "poor man's Porsche."
I've always joked that Porsche made a huge mistake when they built the 356 and just continued with it when they rolled at the Neunelfer in 1963. See, putting the engine in the rear of the car is a really bad idea when you are looking for ultimate handling and performance. Ever since then, they've basically been working to engineer around that mistake and make the car perform amazingly despite the inherent flaw. Porsche sticks with it out of tradition, but there is a reason that every other vehicle they have built has either been mid or front engined and they are constantly trying to push the engine forward in the 911 while still keeping it "rear engined".

A Cayman powered identically to a Carrera would outrun a Carrera on the track. In fact, a Cayman S already can lap the Nordschleife a tick faster then a Carrera. The Cayman is the "proper" sports car and if Porsche would give it more power there would be a lot of Carrera owners staring at "poor man's" taillights.

Though, I have never really heard too many Carrera owner's dissing the Cayman. The "poor man" designation is usually reserved for Boxster owners. There has been a lot of discussion on Porsche boards that Porsche should basically give it up and shift their marketing strategies. Market the Cayman as the proper sports car and give it the power it deserves and move the Carrera more firmly into the "grand touring" segment, at least for retail sales. They can still keep the GTx and race versions of the Carrera around for obvious reasons. Basically don't fret if the Cayman is the faster car when compared to the Carrera, S or Turbo.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:15 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,646,838 times
I really like the new look and think they have improved upon it. The lines look a lot cleaner and the car appears more aggressive. They also got the Cayman under 3,000 pounds which is pretty incredible. I'm curious to see what some thinkk once it gets driven, but it should handle even better than the last Cayman. In my opinion it could easily be a better car than the 911, but Porsche won't "ruin" the iconic 911...at least not yet. One of the best things is most Porsche owners take flawless care of their vehicles, so buying a 2 or 3 year old Porsche after the initial depreciation is a good way to go, and you get basically a new vehicle.

I really wish Porsche would give the car a little more power, which they could do easily. Although I really like the new 911
(991), the car's rear end is getting a little bit on the "caboose" size. Many might call the Cayman or Boxster a poor man's Porsche, but the quality in any Porsche is still top notch.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:50 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post

Though, I have never really heard too many Carrera owner's dissing the Cayman. The "poor man" designation is usually reserved for Boxster owners. There has been a lot of discussion on Porsche boards that Porsche should basically give it up and shift their marketing strategies.
One of the car magazines just tested a Boxster S, base was 60K, price as tested was 84K! Im sorry but 84K for a Boxster is INSANE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Porsche