Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 10:27 AM

14 posts, read 37,736 times

Advertisements

I am up in NH and I am going to to a teacher job fair in NYC where PSL will be recruiting. I spoke to a recruiter and she said that they need in teachers in Special Ed ( myself) and Reading ( my wife). We have 2 young daughters 3 and 6 and we are sick of the cold etc.etc. here in NH and they love the beach and the warm weather. I have read the other threads about the school district and hear that it is either terrible or just O.K. We would like to live in a place that is family friendly without yahoo neighbors ( I hope you get my drift) and would definitely rent a place first. Our in-laws spend the winters in FLA ( like everyone else in New England) so they would love to be near us as well. Any info wold be a great help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 01:45 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Well, salaries are definitely lower for teaching in PSL, but so is cost of living. Schools in Port St. Lucie do better on average than schools in Fort Pierce (also in the St. Lucie County system). Other than that, the pool of kids would be mostly middle and working class students, so there would be challenges associated with same.

You can rent a 3br house in PSL for under 1k/month. A good realtor can show you the better places to live. PSL is VERY sprawling and covers a LOT of miles, so if that doesn't appeal to you know it now so you aren't disappointed later!

Old 02-17-2011, 04:42 PM

14 posts, read 37,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Well, salaries are definitely lower for teaching in PSL, but so is cost of living. Schools in Port St. Lucie do better on average than schools in Fort Pierce (also in the St. Lucie County system). Other than that, the pool of kids would be mostly middle and working class students, so there would be challenges associated with same.

You can rent a 3br house in PSL for under 1k/month. A good realtor can show you the better places to live. PSL is VERY sprawling and covers a LOT of miles, so if that doesn't appeal to you know it now so you aren't disappointed later!

Thanks for the info!

Old 02-18-2011, 07:21 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,201,048 times
Lots of teachers live in the area. Many teach in the Port St Lucie schools, but some are teaching in the West Palm Beach school system because it pays more. They still live here because of the lower cost of housing. We always have a need for good Special Ed teachers!

Old 02-18-2011, 01:28 PM

52 posts, read 160,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
Lots of teachers live in the area. Many teach in the Port St Lucie schools, but some are teaching in the West Palm Beach school system because it pays more. They still live here because of the lower cost of housing. We always have a need for good Special Ed teachers!
How about Math teachers?

Old 02-18-2011, 05:04 PM

12 posts, read 17,168 times
If you are curious about current opening in the district use the district website at....

https://myportal.stlucie.k12.fl.us:4...n/rapplmnu03.w

Old 02-18-2011, 05:05 PM

12 posts, read 17,168 times
My fault use this click apply and search positions

Human Resources

Old 03-05-2011, 09:54 AM

132 posts, read 350,775 times
A lot of the positions listed on the St. Lucie School District website are grant funded. This means that they will end when the money runs out. There are MANY teachers out of work because of budget cuts. I am also ESE, but I have been unable to find a job. Most recently I interviewed for a long term sub K position! I have been applying in NC and TN. Also, St. Lucie is an inclusion district, and this does impact the number of ESE positions available. What part of NH are you coming from (I'm from Manchester)? PSL will definitely be a culture shock for you!

Last edited by kelleybell00; 03-05-2011 at 10:19 AM..

Old 03-16-2011, 06:39 AM

3 posts, read 6,051 times
You do not want to work or live in St. Lucie County, the schools are terrible and the area is very boring. It's not what your mind percieves it to be, yes the weather season is hot, hotter and omg hot. The schools are a joke because they have the lottery which means you have no choice of where you go to school and to get these kids to graduate rather than just short of handing them a diploma they do credit retrieval classes after school because over half of them just don't show up for class.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:50 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,201,048 times
Just and FYI folks... foragoodreason seems to have a problem with living in Florida no matter what- since all 3 of the posts that were made by this new person say the same thing. Negative everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach