Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 08:29 PM

910 posts, read 2,219,815 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info, Daniel. Sounds like we won't have to worry about their size getting unmanageable, since I am in my late 50s and my husband in his late 60s ! The trees will outlive us, unless a strong wind comes along. Both trees are well away from pavement, so the pollen shouldn't be a big problem. I wonder when they begin to produce acorns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 07:16 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
Very nice house Sealark. Good luck with your new house.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:20 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,866,647 times
You might have to worry about squirrels though LOL

Old 05-09-2013, 11:41 AM

I am one of the few people who likes squirrels ! We have very few of them out here in the Ohio countryside (too many predators, is my guess) so I am hoping to see them in the Florida suburbs. I suppose I will find out for sure when I get around to putting up a bird feeder ! How about chipmunks ? Are they very common in suburbia in Florida ?

Old 05-09-2013, 11:53 AM

2,962 posts, read 5,000,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLark7 View Post
I am one of the few people who likes squirrels ! We have very few of them out here in the Ohio countryside (too many predators, is my guess) so I am hoping to see them in the Florida suburbs. I suppose I will find out for sure when I get around to putting up a bird feeder ! How about chipmunks ? Are they very common in suburbia in Florida ?
I've never seen a chipmunk down here. I've read that there are some in northwestern Fl.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:27 PM

8,073 posts, read 4,747,652 times
I went on vacation to Vermont, and while staying at a B&B I saw some chipmunks raiding the bird feeder outside. I had lived in south Georgia my whole life and wasn't sure what I was seeing. I nervously asked the owner if those were some breed of squirrel I was not acquainted with. I had honestly never seen chipmunks anywhere but in cartoons!

Of course she probably would have had the same reaction if an armadillo waddled across her lawn...

Old 05-10-2013, 06:09 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,866,647 times
If you put out a bird feeder then expect all kinds of animals to raid it. We have a neighbor that has Sand Hill cranes pecking holes in theirs. One also broke a sliding glass door. You may attract ratcoons, possums and all kinds of varments that you might not want. You have to be crafty when dealing with these suckers. Hang it high enough to keep out the cranes and ratcoons and mount it in a way that the squrrels don't raid it. What I was talking about was the fact that they will nest in the trees and if there is a small opening in your roof they may decide that your attic is a better home. Just ask Sid about that.

They are delicious though with gravy and biscuits.

Last edited by pslhomie; 05-10-2013 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: update

Old 05-10-2013, 07:01 AM

Somebody told me that birds in Florida really do not need to be fed from feeders as they have plenty of food year-round due to the temperate climate. So really the only reason to feed them is to observe them up close (or at least, closer). However, with the other critters attracted by the feeder, for the first time in my life I may not be putting out a bird feeder ! I will have a hummingbird feeder, though.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:08 AM

2,962 posts, read 5,000,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLark7 View Post
Somebody told me that birds in Florida really do not need to be fed from feeders as they have plenty of food year-round due to the temperate climate. So really the only reason to feed them is to observe them up close (or at least, closer). However, with the other critters attracted by the feeder, for the first time in my life I may not be putting out a bird feeder ! I will have a hummingbird feeder, though.
I think that's true of all the animals down here. There's an abundance of food sources year round. You can plant things that will draw them closer if you like. I have a giant white bird of paradise that draws all types of birds.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:46 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,838,435 times
We had one in our front yard in Texas that was probably 80 years old, and approx. 40 ft tall, or so, and it took everything the Gulf threw at it, and stayed vertical. But like DanielAvery said, they can meet their match with a good Gulf wind. I have seen 100 year old oaks laying on their sides after a storm. We lived about 50 miles in from the coast, so by the time the storms got to us, they were buffered a bit, but that little oak still took a whippin' when the storms came through. This is a bit off the subject, but, if you like to BBQ, I will let you in on a secret about the live oak you have. Get your coals hot, then cut of maybe one, or, two, tender, new growth limbs, about pencil thick. Strip the leaves off, and break them up in pieces, and put them on the coals. Your BBQ will have a good Texas BBQ flavor. I used to have to trim ours since it hung over our mail box, and I kept the limbs I trimmed off for BBQ later. You can use the limbs, green, or dried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach