Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2015, 05:06 PM

1 posts, read 869 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm thinking to move from Texas to Florida, I was looking at Vero and reviewed some comments. Anybody can help me out, please. I'm a teacher and I would like to know if housing will be a problem, are they too expensive? Is Vero a safe place for a single Mom?. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 09:20 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,908,120 times
Very very safe. Lots of housing but like everywhere else, rental properties are in high demand since the crash. So "expensive" is subjective. We do have some nice apartment complexes that are income restricted but that's something I don't know much about.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:11 PM

199 posts, read 256,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelo53 View Post
Hello, I'm thinking to move from Texas to Florida, I was looking at Vero and reviewed some comments. Anybody can help me out, please. I'm a teacher and I would like to know if housing will be a problem, are they too expensive? Is Vero a safe place for a single Mom?. Thanks in advance.
Hi! Vero Beach is very safe. It is a nice place to live with access to the beaches as well as slightly rural areas out west toward the interstate. I grew up in the city directly below Vero Beach (Fort Pierce) and currently live two cities south of Vero Beach (Port Saint Lucie). I raised my daughter here on the Treasure Coast as a single mom.

I suppose what you consider "expensive" depends on your salary and your budget. I teach in Saint Lucie County which makes up the schools in Fort Pierce and Port Saint Lucie. Vero Beach is considered Indian River County. Historically, I have found that teaching jobs are a bit more difficult, albeit not impossible, to secure in that county because teachers simply don't leave. The turn-over rate here in Saint Lucie County is very high and there are always job openings. I grew up in Saint Lucie County schools and I love teaching here. You could easily commute (about 20-30 minutes) if you can't secure a teaching job in Vero.

The starting salary in Indian River County is $38,000 (https://www.indianriverschools.org/c.../download/1495), and the starting salary for teachers in Saint Lucie County is $37,650 (http://www.stlucie.k12.fl.us/pdf/Sal...0Schedules.pdf). Our rent for a 3/2 home in Port Saint Lucie is $1100.00 per month. I've noticed rent here on the Treasure Coast is rising, so a 2/1 apartment will likely be about $950 in Vero Beach (maybe higher), but I haven't looked in that area in a while. Try padmapper.com, zillow.com, or realtor.com to get started.

If you are looking to buy a house, it again depends on your budget as to where you might be able to live. The beach areas are going to be very expensive, but the further west you go of the coast, generally the cheaper housing costs become.

We are actually looking at moving to Colorado (and have even considered Austin, TX)! Florida is beautiful, but we find it to be boring after living here all of our 39 years. If you decide to move, feel free to ask for suggestions. I know the area well, for both living and recreation.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
View detailed profiles of: