Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2020, 02:40 PM

286 posts, read 211,323 times

Advertisements

We are living in NYC and for various reasons (health issues, covid, etc) thinking about moving to SE Florida for couple of years and maybe longer (or permanently).
I work remotely and we have a 3 yo.
So we decided that if the second wave hits again with more quarantines - we better live in a house in a warmer climate.

We decided that we don't want to waste money on rent for several years, and we better buy a house.
But at the same time, considering that we might move back to NYC in a year or two - and considering the economy might be bad in the following years - we don't want to pay too much for a house in case prices go down in the following years.

We started looking in Boca Raton area because of the schools, but the house prices are expensive there, so we expanded our search and looks like PSL area provides a good compromise.

What we are looking for:

1. Safe quiet community (gated, manned) with a low HOA (below $200 would be nice).
I would love to pay extra for nice amenities, but I am afraid they will stay closed because of the virus.

But at the same time, we it should be nice looking and good for walking. I looked up some communities on youtube and some of them look much better than others. So I am thinking about better looking ones but with less luxury amenities to keep HOA down.

2. A nice house 3/2 or 4/2 with a nice pool (2000 sq or higher), in good condition to be able to move in immediately. Looking at current prices, I would want to buy something below $300K, but can go a little higher if the house and location warrant it.

3. We are not going to be out a lot so location doesn't really matter.
But I am thinking the closer to the ocean the better (less mosquitoes?)
Looking at the map , I am thinking about an area between I-95 and Turnpike south of Gatlin Blvd had a lot of houses for sale that are reasonably priced.

Can anyone recommend a community that matches what we are looking for?
Any suggestion about different areas?

4. If realtors are reading, would be nice to know what is the current situation with house prices.
I guess we are not the only ones trying to escape from NYC who searching for a house in the area and I see a lot of houses are in pending or contingent status .

So far our plan is to drive to Florida in late July. We are going to rent a house somewhere between Boca and WBP for a month or two and start the house hunting for some 2-3 weeks and hopefully make an offer in early August.

Any suggestions are welcome. TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 04:39 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,307,848 times
Look at homes in Lake Charles, meets most your needs I believe.

Old 05-27-2020, 05:16 AM

286 posts, read 211,323 times
Also Vero Beach South area is a possibility.

Old 05-31-2020, 04:40 PM

482 posts, read 761,537 times
Look up Newport Isles in Port St. Lucie. Has all the things you are looking for with location, price, hoa fee, etc.

Old 06-28-2020, 03:08 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,208,491 times
I haven't been checking posts as often on here, but I will try to catch up.

First, any short term rentals were stopped a couple months ago and have not been given the ok to start again yet because of the virus.

At this moment HOA's can open a portion of their facilities --with social distancing. Each one seems to be taking that individually. Some opening more than others.

What you want in HOA fees is lawn maintenance, and cable or Internet included. A gate, but not necessarily guarded as this area is not a crime area and in fact PSL has been voted one of the safest places to live several times.

As far as looking at homes during Covid 19--it's different. You look through the homes on the market and pick out the ones you like. Then we talk about each one and you pare down your list. Then when you get to your list of very favorite houses we see about the house background sales/any improvements /reason to sell/getting in/etc.

When showing, you hope the homes you like are empty. Then you hope the occupied ones will leave while you show--and you don't touch anything. Then you have the ones on the market that won't let you in that you just take off the list. YES..you wear a mask.

If for some reason you can't get here, I will go for you and report the good, the bad, and the ugly. I've been doing this for 30 years and I like my Buyers and Sellers as friends, not--"well you didn't tell me"....because I will and did.

Old 06-29-2020, 11:25 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,208,491 times
[quote=FlaLadyB;58503023]

First, any short term rentals were stopped a couple months ago and have not been given the ok to start again yet because of the virus.

Correction==that restriction was lifted, but that could change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach