Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 11:55 AM

578 posts, read 1,777,230 times

Advertisements

Has anyone seen this story? Know about it?

Chinese drywall found in Port St. Lucie's Tradition community (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/health/content/health/epaper/2009/03/04/a4b_drywall_0305_copy.html - broken link)

Old 04-27-2009, 12:09 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
This article should say WHICH Tradition development has the problem. That is so much more helpful than just saying "Tradition," which has many homebuilders, all of whom have different suppliers, etc.

But, I guess I don't expect much from the media these days anyway. I know all about Mr. Vega's fears about the drywall in his home, but none of the nitty gritty.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:47 PM

Tradition's Promenade condo development is what they are listing in the Article. If he were the owner you could look him up on the Tax assessors site and get the exact address. I am sure that not every developer in Tradition used this drywall.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:58 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,679 times
The drywall was brought in on freighters and suppliers were buying them at approximately .20 cents on the dollar compared to USA made drywall. Miami had ships and the North part of Florida has been reporting as they had ships but none of the builders say "Hey. I am sorry but I bought the Chinese drywall so this is what we can do to make it up".....

Yeah the homes need to be torn down. There is another possible remedy other than taking all walls etc out of the home including the wiring A/C system and all metal pipes or metal objects that were affected but I do not believe there is another remedy........Other than the few things mentioned the house should be golden.

Construction Consultant Faults Knauf Chinese Drywall

"Knauf Plasterboard Tianjin Co. Ltd. of China is a manufacturer implicated in this fiasco. Knauf maintains that its defective Chinese Drywall is safe and homeowner damage must be from some other source."

Old 04-27-2009, 05:04 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,679 times
Default Send the Chinese drywall back to China

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep111 View Post
Tradition's Promenade condo development is what they are listing in the Article. If he were the owner you could look him up on the Tax assessors site and get the exact address. I am sure that not every developer in Tradition used this drywall.
Good point and I am also sure not all developers used the drywall. It was just because the 2006 RE boom that developers were scrambling to get supplies in and some used China as their resource. Darn shame to what we have to put up with these days....

Let's bag it up and send it back.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:35 PM

I say grind it up and make gold like bars out of it and then use it to repay the loans they gave us. Of course it should be painted with gold colored lead based paint.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:32 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,576,309 times
I think the greedy American company that imported the drywall should be held responsible. Where is the safety/quality check? Remember the tainted medicine killed horses are made in USA. Lack of the quality control is the problem. There are many good quality drywall manufacturers in China. In pursuit of profit, the American company chooses to import something that is the cheapest in Chinese market. In addition, when I visited China recently, I saw a whole housing development (at least 20 apartment buildings) was shut down by Chinese government, due to low quality drywall. The view of the empty development is haunting. Therefore, before accusing another country, do check and think who is really at fault here.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:00 AM

The problem is not with the Chineese people (they are pawns) but with the Government not having standards or people enforcing them. As far as the medicine killing the horses it was a mistaken dosage not the medicine. If you drink too much water you will die as well. Every year you hear about someone doing that. Does that mean that greedy American water producers are the cause?

As long as China (the government) does not enforce standards for manufacturing items people in this and every other country should not buy from them. Hey I got some spoiled milk from Publix once I took it back and they gave me good milk. Now if I had been going back to that store with the same problem every week I would stop shopping there. Businesses have to trust their suppliers otherwise they go out of business. Which is what most did.

Every month or so we hear about tainted products coming out of China either making people sick or killing pets or full of lead. With that kind of reputation I would say that the facts add themselves up and it is not good for the Chineese people. It's strange that there is also a double standard going. Mexico has an out break of swine flu and the world stops importing American pork products. Mexico has tainted spinich and the rest of the world blames America. Canada has a Mad Cow and Japan stops importing American beef. What gives? Blame America and Americans for your issues? Why is it that when some other country has an issue it is always our fault?

I am sure the contractors who built the homes had no idea that dangerous chemichals were in the drywall. The wall hangers are not trained in chemestry so I am sure they did not know. You can't blame the people at the end unless you can prove they were in the know. You have to blame the source which is the company in China that made it and the Chineese government that let it pass out of the country unchecked or ignored. You can only blame the import company if they knew about the chemicals.

Last edited by stevep111; 04-28-2009 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: fix

Old 04-28-2009, 12:14 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,576,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep111 View Post
The problem is not with the Chineese people (they are pawns) but with the Government not having standards or people enforcing them. As far as the medicine killing the horses it was a mistaken dosage not the medicine. If you drink too much water you will die as well. Every year you hear about someone doing that. Does that mean that greedy American water producers are the cause?

As long as China (the government) does not enforce standards for manufacturing items people in this and every other country should not buy from them. Hey I got some spoiled milk from Publix once I took it back and they gave me good milk. Now if I had been going back to that store with the same problem every week I would stop shopping there. Businesses have to trust their suppliers otherwise they go out of business. Which is what most did.

Every month or so we hear about tainted products coming out of China either making people sick or killing pets or full of lead. With that kind of reputation I would say that the facts add themselves up and it is not good for the Chineese people. It's strange that there is also a double standard going. Mexico has an out break of swine flu and the world stops importing American pork products. Mexico has tainted spinich and the rest of the world blames America. Canada has a Mad Cow and Japan stops importing American beef. What gives? Blame America and Americans for your issues? Why is it that when some other country has an issue it is always our fault?

I am sure the contractors who built the homes had no idea that dangerous chemichals were in the drywall. The wall hangers are not trained in chemestry so I am sure they did not know. You can't blame the people at the end unless you can prove they were in the know. You have to blame the source which is the company in China that made it and the Chineese government that let it pass out of the country unchecked or ignored. You can only blame the import company if they knew about the chemicals.
Wrong dose with the right medicine can kill!!! Chinese drywall actually used the right material but failed to process it completely and correctly. No quality control is my point. That same pharmacy also prepared a medicine for my beloved GSD last July. My GSD's liver failed and I have to put her sleep. The vet kept telling me that he doesn't aware of the side effect of liver damage caused by the medicine. When it is you who is the victim, you wouldn't say that it is just a wrong dose.

Chinese government is doing what it can to enforce the rule. Since China opens its door to Western, it has opened a flood gate. Rules and regulations are being added as China learns its way. There are multiple death penalties for those who added melamine into pet food and baby formula. However, if you know anything about China, you would know that China is a big country. The education of overall population lacks behind Americans. It takes education, rules and regulations to improve the conditions. I have relatives in China and I am very concerned about the quality of their environment. I can see Chinese government is desperately trying to enforce the quality control without being accused of violating human rights.

In addition, no one forces any company to do business in China. There are many good companies that are doing business in China. I personally know an American food company. They bought a nice land in NW China. They import seeds and bring in their own experts and quality control people to make sure that their products meets standard. If they make sure, the American people will not have to worry. However, if there are bad or stupid business peoples at both sides, people will suffer. So don't just accuse the other country. There are many bad business people here in America too. Only good quality control can stop them. If the technology in China is not able, American company should spend money to do it.

Finally, just you know that there are many products labeled "made in USA" are using parts from China. Do check it carefully before you buy. Have a happy long life!!! Don’t step your foot in China. The air may kill you.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:59 PM

Well I am not acusing the country but it's Government. You are right about the quality there. I saw a story about Mc Donalds opening in China and they had to educate the people about sanitation standards. You know washing your hands, keeping trash away from the food. China is a distant culture from ours. They have different values, lifestyles and germ pools than we do. That does not make the Chineese people bad it just makes them different. When you mix different cultures you will surely clash on these and many more issues. I saw a guy selling hot dogs one day from a cart. One look at his horrible feet told me that I should not buy from him. I am sure the odds were low that I would have gotten sick but I had the choice. If he wants to have bad hygene (in my eyes) then it is my perogative not to buy from him. Not everything that comes out of China is bad. Hey there are U.S. companies sending computers to Hong Kong to be dumped. Chineese workers salvage parts from them and are horribly burned and poisioned by the toxic parts. BTW I have been to China and the air quality did suck. Same as LA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach