Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 12:08 PM

5 posts, read 27,047 times

Advertisements

I am moving back to FLA from MI later this year and am looking at homes in PSL. I have lived south in Ft. Lauderdale, but when I lived in FLA 5 years ago, PSL was a booming place.

Prices have adjusted with the economy and now I can afford a house in PSL. I am looking specifically at a houses on:

SW Herder Rd
SE Volkerts Terrace
Floresta Drive
SE Walters Terrace

Can anyone give me honest feedback on these streets and their neighborhoods?

I am a single white female moving to the area with my aged mother and need a safe, clean repectable neighborhood to settle down. This is to be (hopefully) my last property purchase so it has to be good.

Property prices are so great right right now, I want to buy right away. Can someone give me honest feedback on the areas in question?

Also, as a speed demon, how long is it to PGA from PSL?

Thanks everyone, I need your help on this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 06:31 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keweke00 View Post
I am moving back to FLA from MI later this year and am looking at homes in PSL. I have lived south in Ft. Lauderdale, but when I lived in FLA 5 years ago, PSL was a booming place.

Prices have adjusted with the economy and now I can afford a house in PSL. I am looking specifically at a houses on:

SW Herder Rd
SE Volkerts Terrace
Floresta Drive
SE Walters Terrace

Can anyone give me honest feedback on these streets and their neighborhoods?

I am a single white female moving to the area with my aged mother and need a safe, clean repectable neighborhood to settle down. This is to be (hopefully) my last property purchase so it has to be good.

Property prices are so great right right now, I want to buy right away. Can someone give me honest feedback on the areas in question?

Also, as a speed demon, how long is it to PGA from PSL?

Thanks everyone, I need your help on this!

PGA Blvd.? 40 minutes. IF you're coming from Western PSL near the Turnpike. If you're commuting, I recommend searching homes in the Western part of the city, which is actually rapidly becoming the center of conveniences. Otherwise, if you live somewhere more central, try to be near access to the Crosstown Parkway, so you can get to the highway easier.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:51 AM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,679 times
We searched for a community in Florida that we could easily get accustomed to while retiring as we lived in a high end area of PA. We saw all areas including Broward, Tampa, Vero and PSL.. We just fell in love with PSL. As we aearched for a location the town of Tradition was in its infancy stages. We looked in all areas of PSL and believed Tesoro or Southbend would be good to begin our retired life.

The homes on the roads you are "specifically" taking a look to purchase are good. Just a few miles South of Volkerts, Walters and Floresta is an area named Southbend. Herder is a tad West of Southbend and also close to the Turnpike entrance. So the areas you find as a good place to call home I would say they do appear to be good choice for a family to grow. The PSL Police can give you an accurate listing of all crime stats for all PSL.

I go to PGA proper four times a month and I take the turnpike via Becker Road. 40 minutes is a very good time from home to any part of the area known as PGA Proper...

Below are some links you find helpful and interesting:

Port St. Lucie News - [domain blocked due to spam] - News and some is kinda crazy

St Lucie County Florida Online || Home Local County Govt.

Events calendar | City news | Departments | Official Web site of the City of Port St. Lucie, Fla. City of PSL and the Picture of Town Hall is nice as the picture depicts

www.pslbotanicalgardens.org Being built now....Great spot for adults and kids when finished.

Good luck in your search and we love living in Port Saint Lucie...

Last edited by Synergy1; 07-07-2009 at 10:00 AM..

Old 07-09-2009, 02:43 PM

8 posts, read 27,452 times
We found a home in PSL we'd like to bid on. Need some advice regarding termites and pools. Being from Michigan we're pretty Florida challenged. Although my Mom lives in a condo in Stuart. She says only buy a CBS home. Safer and termites, now to termites. This home we like has obvious termite damage in the master bedroom but is a cbs home? Any advice on that? Also it has a pool that is boarded and has green water, it is Ibelieve gunite. Are pools costly to fix, maintain and operate? I've heard banks sometimes do not want to finance pool homes? How hard is it to get rid of these termites? Kind of gross to think of. I'm worried about these couple of things. We don't mind doing work on the home just a little afraid of the couple of things we know nothing about mainly the pool and the termite thing. Thanks for any advice anyone might have. I am very excited about coming down your way!

Old 07-09-2009, 02:47 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
CBS construction is often CBS built on the exterior, with interior walls being standard wood stud construction. Additionally, roofs are built with wooden trusses. All termites need are just a bit of wood, and they'll feed.

Two tent a house you're looking at about $1k+ for the treatment. You can then get a termite bond after that.

Pools are pretty easy to maintain. If they become damaged, however, or need repair, they can be costly to fix. A green pool that is not leaking will be about a $500 fix (usually have to drain, scrub, and refill). A pool guy will cost about $50-75 month, depending on the size of the pool, though you can learn to do the chemicals yourself and save money, and buy a "creepy crawly" machine that will vaccum the pool automatically.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:36 PM

8 posts, read 27,452 times
Thank you TRiMT7 for the information on the pool and termites. Not only am I Florida challenged, I'm also computer challenged. I'm sure that was not where I was supposed to ask a question but, I just happened across this site and DO NOT know how to use or post or anything, but we have sooo many questions about this huge move in our lives I was glad to find somewhere like this so maybe I'll learn as I go. Forgive me if it takes me awhile to figure out about forums. Again thanks for the information! Magysmom

Old 07-10-2009, 08:39 AM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,679 times
CBS is exterior as the interior forms of the rooms must be separated by either wood or metal. Termites can dig down up then up ranging from 0 feet to 10ft..... Owners of newer homes, lke ours, had their choice of either metal studs or wood studs. I chose wood because I like the solid sound and feel of wood is better for building. Wood does have its disadvantages in Florida and termites are woods biggest enemy.....

Wood can be replaced or repaired but termites first must be totally eliminated. I had termites in a home in Pennsylvania and they were very very tough to get rid of and after 15 years of having a termite free home and yearly follow-ups they came back... Therefore a totally wood home in Florida does not make sense to me to own in this climate......

Now there are others who disagree but I rather be safe and termite free than sorry I didn't go with the CBS construction and have a company inspection and spray on a yearly basis.

However, purchasing a termite damaged home is OK if yo know how to fix the damage because the repairs are easy to make but when some homes have active termite nesting you could have a big problem now and in the future.

Good luck

Old 07-12-2009, 01:30 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Sounds as if the others on this forum have more expertise than I, but I'll toss in my opinion. If you already see damage from termites, chances are there's a bad infestation. Make sure you have the home inspected for mold as well.

You didn't mention the age of the house. Anyone who is house hunting in FL needs to read the threads on Chinese Drywall.

Good luck!

Old 07-14-2009, 07:55 AM

578 posts, read 1,777,230 times
Before I put in a bid on a house part of the stipulation would be that you have the current owner fix the termite issue. Your lender will most likely not approve a sale if the inspection shows unrepaired damage. Hire your own inspector not the one the Realator suggests. No matter how much you like the place if it has major issues like this just walk away. There are plenty of other homes that do not have this damage.

Bottom line is that before you buy the house either get the seller to fix the damage or get an estimate on how much the repairs will cost and then deduct it from your bid. Again your Mortgage company will most likely not approve a sale and you may not be able to get insurance on a home with unrepaired damage and a current infestation.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:30 AM

10 posts, read 32,302 times
I am a Candian buying in PSL. I was there a few weeks ago. My suggestion is that you go to PSL. If you need a good real estate agent send me a private message and I can give you the agent that I dealt with, very good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach