Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:44 AM

6 posts, read 15,462 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've posted in the Portland forum, but have gotten very little feedback (1 helpful response). Maybe someone here can help-I hope!

We are moving to the Portland area from NJ. Our housing budget is about $300,000 (give or take $25k). We've been working with a realtor to see houses and it is so confusing given all the surrounding towns and different neighborhoods of Portland. We like some houses in Cape Elizabeth, but they are old and appear to need some work. Other houses that are nice but at the high end of our budget are in the Deering neighborhoods of Portland.

We really like a house in South Portland, primarily because it's only 5 years old and tasefully done. My husband LOVES that it's about 100k less than some of the other houses we are looking at...listed at $220,000. I like it because even though it's newer, it still has some charm (it's a cape).

I've been trying to research South Portland, but cannot find too much. I'm hesistant because this house is listed so low that there is something "wrong" with the area/town. It's not in a subdivision, but rather in a neighborhood without sidewalks with various other capes and bungalows.

What is it like living in this type neighborhood in South Portland? Is it drastically different from buying a home in a subdivision-tree lined, sidewalked street area? Is it a nice community to live in? Our your neighbors successful people? How are the schools? This may sound harsh, but we're not looking to buy a home in a town where most of the community is on government assistance, etc. (Not that I think S. Portland is, just giving an example of info we are looking for). It's so hard to really know an area until you are living there and meet people.

Also, how does South Portland compare to Deering Center in Portland?

Thank you in adavance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 10:59 AM

300 posts, read 758,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRMD View Post
Hello,

I've posted in the Portland forum, but have gotten very little feedback (1 helpful response). Maybe someone here can help-I hope!

We are moving to the Portland area from NJ. Our housing budget is about $300,000 (give or take $25k). We've been working with a realtor to see houses and it is so confusing given all the surrounding towns and different neighborhoods of Portland. We like some houses in Cape Elizabeth, but they are old and appear to need some work. Other houses that are nice but at the high end of our budget are in the Deering neighborhoods of Portland.

We really like a house in South Portland, primarily because it's only 5 years old and tasefully done. My husband LOVES that it's about 100k less than some of the other houses we are looking at...listed at $220,000. I like it because even though it's newer, it still has some charm (it's a cape).

I've been trying to research South Portland, but cannot find too much. I'm hesistant because this house is listed so low that there is something "wrong" with the area/town. It's not in a subdivision, but rather in a neighborhood without sidewalks with various other capes and bungalows.

What is it like living in this type neighborhood in South Portland? Is it drastically different from buying a home in a subdivision-tree lined, sidewalked street area? Is it a nice community to live in? Our your neighbors successful people? How are the schools? This may sound harsh, but we're not looking to buy a home in a town where most of the community is on government assistance, etc. (Not that I think S. Portland is, just giving an example of info we are looking for). It's so hard to really know an area until you are living there and meet people.

Also, how does South Portland compare to Deering Center in Portland?

Thank you in adavance!!
What is the address? South Portland, IMO, is a far better city or town than Portland, as Portland is a haven for dirtbags and druggies. I moved here instead of Deering for that reason.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:28 PM

37 posts, read 80,981 times
You need to post what street the house is on and names of a couple of surrounding streets so we can know what neighborhood you are looking at. South Portland is very nice. I lived there for several years and liked it. I am originally from Portland and it was easy to make the move over the bridge.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:08 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
South Portland is a much better value in general and it has better public schools. There are excellent parochial schools in the area. Sidewalks mean higher taxes. I side with hubby on the house, given the limited information provided.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:25 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,566,266 times
Is the house a short sale or a foreclosure? Maybe that is why it's priced lower? I was just in S. Portland today. I like Portland to visit, but not sure I could live there....too busy for me.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:19 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,224,774 times
If you have a written Exclusive Buyer Agency Agreement with your agent have her/him do a market analysis on the property to determine what it is worth in 2012. She/he can also see the purchase price and original mortgage balance from the current owners and help you determine how much equity the seller's have in the property. There's much more to research, but that's a good start.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:55 PM

404 posts, read 777,897 times
Origionally from NJ myself! Knowing what neighborhood might help, but I'd vote for south portland over portland any day in my opinion. But there are more desireable neighborhoods that others. Do your research though and don't rule places you like completely out...new things come on the market everyday and places will start listing or relisting in late feb early march.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:59 AM

6 posts, read 15,462 times
Thanks so much for the information! I was doing some more research and I love the idea of the South Portland Pool. I am surprised to hear all of this because the housing in Portland is definitely more expensive, so that was leading me to believe it was "nicer" area.

Streets in the area of the "cheaper" house-- Southwell, Kirkland, Herford, Main Street, Wythburn.

Streets in the area of the more expensive, newer, subdivision home--Whitworth, Applewood Circle, Sawyer, Greeley

Keep the information coming! I am so grateful

Old 01-19-2012, 04:19 PM

404 posts, read 777,897 times
That area where you listed the less expensive houses, is not so great. I know the mobile station right near there was robbed with in the last couple months. But of course not so great is all relative. However I think you can do better and find a neighborhood that is more Maine like. That one is off a busy road and you may have a harder time selling when that day comes.

The more expensive neighborhood you listed is much better. and closer to the middle school and highschools and a great dog park right off highland.

I've direct messaged you the listing of a nice new house, can't tell if the listing is still active but I know a sign is still up. i"ll also include another, that I'm pretty sure is just pulled off the market for winter, maybe your realtor can contact them and see if they want to sell by owner, if you like it.

Check out the one on winding way in S. Portland that's a nice subdivision and half way in between the 2 prices.

Last edited by atrixwolfe; 01-19-2012 at 05:08 PM..

Old 01-19-2012, 04:58 PM

2 posts, read 5,157 times
South Portland is a lovely place, but it does have some low income places (as does everytown) but for the most part there are still a lot of old families there and middle class folks rule the roost for the most part. Many people work and live in So. Po. therefore there is a lot of prie in the area. The school system is great and large so it has lots to offer (if you have kiddos). I lived in Portland for 10 years (much of that in the Deering area) and loved it there but Portland is much more unpredictable as far as your proximity to low income housing. So. Po. is a slight bit safer than Portland and more family oriented I think. The Cape (Cape Elizabeth) is uppity. There you are going to be possibly ostrasized for not being wealthy enough (ex:$300,000 in the Cape is gonna get you a ****hole. The average home there is easily $500,000+ ). Your taxes there will be off the charts as well, in the Cape. So. Po. Has parts that are much like the Cape (on the water with multi-million dollar homes) and other parts that are low income, but is less city like that Portland. Well, that's my two cents about this subject. Peace. Good luck in your move. Oh, BTW: Falmouth is a real nice area too. Great school sysytem, smaller town than So.Po., has very little low income folks, and has more countryside in many parts of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area