Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 01:23 PM

189 posts, read 301,624 times

Advertisements

I think some of those responding to the OP are talking about small towns, not about Portland. Portland is full of transplants, far more than most places in Maine. I attribute some of the "from away" attitude to the fact that so many who come here are gone within a few years, either back to where they came from or to somewhere else. Maine people often don't feel it's worth investing, whether emotionally or otherwise, in people who are essentially transients. We came here ourselves in 1999 and, of all the transplants we've met since then, almost none of them are still here. The reasons are many. Quite a few have ideas about the state that are way off base and, when they get a dose of reality, they're done. Others are what some now call "anywheres" - people who never really put down roots. They move from place to place, and enjoy sampling a new place until they tire of it and move on to the next. For people whose families are firmly rooted here, that attitude is anathema; they won't waste their time with you, knowing that you will never make a real home here and have a real stake in the community and what happens beyond the few years you'll be here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2020, 07:41 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit26 View Post
When I visited Portland for the interview what struck me the most was absence of people even in the downtown area in the evening. I am originally form India but have been Living in Columbus OH for past 5 years and compared to Columbus Portland seemed very uninviting.
It depends on what you're used to, I guess. If you're expecting a "booming nightlife" akin to something in Boston or New York, then Portland is going to seem really quiet. But there is definitely an active bar scene and concerts in Portland. Too much so for my tastes. But it really depends on what you're used to.

Portland is the biggest city in Maine. But Portland is TINY compared to places like Boston, New York, Philadelphia, etc.

Quote:
Also, I have heard that people in Maine are very reserved and not friendly to "people form away"; is this going to be a problem because I think I will be classified as "people from far far way".
There is a difference between reserved and unfriendly. Mainers are definitely reserved compared to people from the South or the West Coast. But unfriendly? No. Mainers will treat you with courtesy and respect. Your neighbors will help you out. But they aren't going to share intimate details of their life until they get to know you pretty well. And if you try to do that, they are going to find it very off-putting.

As others have already wisely suggested: The worst thing you can do is move to Maine and try to turn it into Boston or Long Island or Ohio or Los Angeles. The quickest way to annoy a Mainer is to criticize something in Maine with a variation of, "Well, where I'm from ..."

Quote:
I guess in a nutshell my question is is it possible for a foreigner to be able to integrate in society there? Some honest feedback please.
In Portland, you'll be fine, and you'll hardly be alone. LOTS of People in Portland and the Maine Midcoast are from away. I work with people from Long Island, Wisconsin, Nigeria, California, Colorado, and Maine. If you were moving up into the County or more rural places, you might have cause for concern. But even there, 75% of the people would welcome you.

The only place I have ever run into the stereotypical nasty Maineah was a lady I worked with in Lewiston. And I think this woman was just nasty and unpleasant to everyone. Had nothing to do with being a Maineah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area