Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 06:45 PM

19 posts, read 64,483 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my husband and I just got orders to South Portland and will be moving there this June or July.

I'm a lifelong Alaskan , (26 now) who has been living in Puerto Rico (aka hell) for the last two years. We were lucky enough to get our top pick this rotation season and couldn't be more excited.

Anyway, I have a lot of research to do but I was wondering what the attitude of Mainers might be to someone from Alaska? I'm an avid outdoorswoman who loves to fly fish, snowboard, bird, camp, hike, etc. I don't fancy large cities, I know how to drive in the snow, and I am accustomed to things like cold and high cost of living. I feel like this would help me fit in more and I want to feel a sense of belonging in Maine, but I don't know what the general attitude is towards outsiders. I've never lived in the contiguous US before and I grew up in a town of about 350k

I am beyond excited. I am thinking Maine will be like home, only warmer, cheaper, and way less isolated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 04:22 AM

8 posts, read 18,341 times
About us Mainers

IMO, Mainers only keep their guard mostly around rich city-people from away, being an outdoorsy person who grew up in an isolated place I think you'll do just fine! In general I feel that Mainers put up a wall around new people, but don't worry - they'll let you in if you're cool Some of the best people to go fishing with, drink on the beach with, or just sit around and hang out with in the world. Hard work ethic, strong morals, real relaxed, nice dry sense of humor. They love "giving you ****", and you'll love giving it back . The population in Portland and SoPo IMO is a bit different than the old-mainer attitude I just described though, a bit more of a city-folk attitude but not in a bad way. Especially in PoPo SoPo I don't think you will have any trouble fitting in at all, these cities are where the open-minded people tend to live, that are more social than those that live in the small towns. It's friendly. I am currently living in the South (yuck) but grew up in ME. Everyone always talks about Southern hospitality and everyone's so friendly in the South blah blah blah but what I have really found is that people are just friendly to your face here then talk behind your back. In New England, people take a while to make up their minds about you, then they are the best people you'll ever meet. They are honest about how they feel about you. If they ever seem cold, just be the one to reach out first and you'll get a big smile.

About the places, OH the places:
There are some places in Maine I feel like everyone should see, and no one ever does. I am probably going to be spam flagged for giving out so many Maine secret gems but take my advice:
Don't let a year pass you by without seeing what Maine has to offer! I don't know too much about Alaska but it seems like the beauty is bigger and much more panoramic, where as in Maine the beauty is private and hidden. Little gems you have to find by word of mouth, or by driving around for hours (fun!). You must see the mid-coast, and make a trip to Freeport (LL Bean) ,In Waldoboro when passing through to the midcoast eat at famous Moody's Diner and have a drink at Narrow's Tavern, Tenants Harbor (drift-inn beach, pemaquid light), PORT CLYDE (if you can find it! Village Ice Cream and a lobster roll at the dip net...YUM) St. George (Miller's Lobster, right on the wharf, here's where you NEED to have your first Maine lobstah), Owl's Head (Owl's Head Light), and Rockland (Main st., Breakwater) , Camden (hike Mt. Batty), are all fun to visit and drive around sightseeing in. Don't forget apple picking in Hope (or Cumberland is also great for picking and closer to SoPo)! Portland is a GREAT city, really fun, cozy, and eclectic. GREAT GREAT GREAT food. You will enjoy visiting Bug Light, Willard Beach, and Scratch Bakery, in SoPo too.

Have fun!

Old 02-05-2013, 05:12 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkCrimson View Post
Hi all, my husband and I just got orders to South Portland and will be moving there this June or July.

I'm a lifelong Alaskan , (26 now) who has been living in Puerto Rico (aka hell) for the last two years. We were lucky enough to get our top pick this rotation season and couldn't be more excited.

Anyway, I have a lot of research to do but I was wondering what the attitude of Mainers might be to someone from Alaska? I'm an avid outdoorswoman who loves to fly fish, snowboard, bird, camp, hike, etc. I don't fancy large cities, I know how to drive in the snow, and I am accustomed to things like cold and high cost of living. I feel like this would help me fit in more and I want to feel a sense of belonging in Maine, but I don't know what the general attitude is towards outsiders. I've never lived in the contiguous US before and I grew up in a town of about 350k

I am beyond excited. I am thinking Maine will be like home, only warmer, cheaper, and way less isolated!
I think you'll fit right in with your love of the outdoors, but there are NO cities in Maine with 350K. You seem friendly enough and seem to know how to have fun and embrace the great outdoors; if you accept Maine and don't try to change her, you should get along fine with the natives. My relatives who lived in AK for a few years only complaint was the long periods of darkness during certain times of the year. In Maine, the winter daylight makes for shorter days....dark around 4:15 p.m. but not what I've heard about AK. Welcome to the Great State of Maine! You won't want to miss Acadia National Park, Baxter State Park, and all the other state parks along with the "hidden" gems.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:53 AM

19 posts, read 64,483 times
I think I should have posted this in the general section not the Portland section. Oh well.

We will DEFINITELY be taking every single opportunity to explore the state! I learned growing up in AK that you take advantage of every single day you can in the summers. Plus it's a 4 year tour so that's only so much time...!

I totally agree about the "Southern Hospitality" thing. I spent a little time in the south, and a lot of Puerto Ricans have that "southern hospitality" attitude also. They might invite you in for dinner if they see you on the street, but it's a charade and they do it because it's culturally expected, not because they like you! But they will never tell you or purposely let on that they don't like you because....I don't know why. Honesty is rude to them? I just don't get it. I would rather get the stink eye from a neighbor who obviously doesn't like me but leaves me alone, than a fake smile from one who is only pretending to like me!

Old 02-05-2013, 01:03 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkCrimson View Post
Congratulations

Quote:
... I'm an avid outdoorswoman who loves to fly fish, snowboard, bird, camp, hike, etc. I don't fancy large cities, I know how to drive in the snow, and I am accustomed to things like cold and high cost of living.
As you have opportunity to get away from Portland [our largest city], I am certain that you will enjoy yourself a great deal in Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area