Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 06:09 PM

3,889 posts, read 4,544,686 times

Advertisements

Hi!

Well, I just read the whole thread by Criticalsass about Portland Maine vs. Seattle and found it very interesting and informative.
(We are also attracted to the Seattle area)

I do have a few questions of maybe an offbeat nature if you don't mind since my husband and I are looking at possible areas to relocate to in the (hopefully not too distant) future...

One of the things that I have to consider when doing research is the fact that we both have "mild" asthma.
I do know that everyone has different triggers, and sometimes people will move to an area only to develop some kind of new allergy to something in the environment, but I'm curious about Portland Maine especially since I found it on one of those "lists" of asthmatic friendly areas.

So if anyone who has experience in this regard and could share with me, it would be much appreciated!

BTW, we've ruled out the Southeast, the extreme heat and humidity is oppressive and I also don't do well in extreme dry areas either like Phoenix. My throat starts itching as soon as I get near the place!
Not to mention we're not attracted to HOT for many months at a time.

I've also read that Portland has a computer tech industry there? Hubby is a software developer and also has experience in development support so has strong communication skills as well as the technical.
Hubby is also a huge "geek"... especially Star Trek, (I'm more of a "fan" LOL!) but we also love Lord of the Rings, Marvel, etc... we've been to Comicon in San Diego several times...
Would we find like minded folks of that sort of thing in Portland of all ages? (we're in the middle ageish zone now)

We're also kind of homebodies who don't mind being shut in... (I can cook )
But also love restaurants, (especially casual breakfast spots) bike riding, walking in scenic areas (who doesn't?) the ocean, but have no need for going in the water. (love the Oregon coast!)

Speaking of restaurants, are there many in town? I've worked part time in restaurants part most of my adult life. Possible job prospects for myself I'm wondering?

As far as snow and cold, my husband is from England and we actually moved up to the San Bernardino Mountains (in California) for a few years where it does snow in the winter! I know it's not a New England winter, but everyone thought we were crazy! We would still be living there probably if Hubs didn't get laid off and had to get a new job that was way too far away. (The California mountains BTW also have a huge risk of fires! We were evacuated for about a week during a major fire storm in 2003! Look up "The Old Fire") We loved living there!

Which reminds me... where would the best places for snowboarding be? My son (who's in college now) and loves snowboarding, and would want to know when he visits us... if we ended up in Portland.

Thank you so much for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 09:35 PM

404 posts, read 778,129 times
There are programmer positions in Portland, so your husband should do well...if you decide to come here send me a Pm and I'll list some places to check or head hunters here in portland.I work on the software industry here in the old port. They can be a little funny to people from outta state though...I don't understand it but the consensus is they think people will leave after the 1st winter.

I can't answer the asthma question...except there is occasional smog in the summer but as long as you don't have cold weather asthma you'll be ok...if you do...then think twice.
No regional allergies I've heard of or developed....I did develop some when I lived in Alabama and so did a number of people I know.

Resturants? Heck in portland you've hit the jackpot....foodie paradise. Do a web search and you'll see what I mean. check out maine.craigslist.com and check out the food serrvice listings too.

snowboarding...Sunday river, attatash in NH (only and hour and a 1/2 from portland) or sugarloaf are the big ones....lots of other smaller mom & pop ski places too.

Lastly oddly enough, I visited owls head light house last weekend, and while walking the patch to the light house I had a bit of deja vu and then realized the path and the light house were very similar to one I visited in Oregon!

Old 07-17-2013, 07:38 AM

506 posts, read 684,169 times
I have asthma as well.........cold does not affect it, but animal dander and wood smoke sure do! The worst trigger for me is during the winter when I am in a house with a wood stove and dogs/cats.......yikes.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:45 PM

Thanks for the replies... good point about the cold air and asthma.
Hubby grew up in England, which is a pretty cold (and damp) country, and we did live in the San Bernardino Mountains for a spell.
I would say we experienced 20 - 30 degrees often when it snowed up there, and lower temps in the teens up in Big Bear when we took my son snowboarding.

But saying that, it's still California cold, not New England cold!

We didn't notice too many problems while living there, except for one time hubs had to use his inhaler after jogging on a very chilly evening. Our doctor gave us the tip to breath through our nose and use a scarf over our nose and mouth if we get bothered by cold air.

Now the wood smoke from all the fireplaces and wood burning stoves around... that could be an issue. While most of the year I don't have to use my inhaler, smoke of any kind, and perfume, especially when some people bathe in it, are definitely my biggest triggers. We had the kind of fireplace that had the fake logs in it! I know... so not New England huh?

And while my asthma is considered "mild" by my allergist I also get into trouble with it when I get a cold or flu.
I've heard that "cold" does not cause a cold, but staying indoors especially with other people around up the chances. It even happens here in "sunny" Cal during the winter months. Seems I only get sick in the winter. Ug! What a pain in the booty affliction! Grrr...

Old 07-17-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrixwolfe View Post
There are programmer positions in Portland, so your husband should do well...if you decide to come here send me a Pm and I'll list some places to check or head hunters here in portland.I work on the software industry here in the old port.

Thank you so much! We've only just put Maine on our radar, and goodness, I wish we could get up there this year to visit, (we do have our anniversary in late October... hmmmm) but will definitely contact you if the stars align. I know it would be very interesting to my husband to see what the tech scene is there. Granted, things can always change. When we first came out to California for a visit, he went by a few recruiters offices and the were drooling to get him going. By the time he came out to here live, the DOT COM boom busted and it took forever to get a job! His previous contacts from the year before had gone belly up! It happens...
But, thank you for allowing us to contact you if and when we're out there!

They can be a little funny to people from outta state though...I don't understand it but the consensus is they think people will leave after the 1st winter.

I'm sure it's gotta happen... "New England" is a very romantic notion and especially people who've never dealt with snow, (we actually have on a much more modest level) can really be in for a shock! It can be a lot of work! But does the area deal with it well? In my research I've read that some places get snow, but since it's rare the town goes into life gridlock when it happens

Resturants? Heck in portland you've hit the jackpot....foodie paradise. Do a web search and you'll see what I mean. check out maine.craigslist.com and check out the food serrvice listings too.

I will check that site out as well as Tripadvisor... sounds like I could get fat! I will HAVE to get a job just to keep running around and moving!

snowboarding...Sunday river, attatash in NH (only and hour and a 1/2 from portland) or sugarloaf are the big ones....lots of other smaller mom & pop ski places too.

Nice!

Lastly oddly enough, I visited owls head light house last weekend, and while walking the patch to the light house I had a bit of deja vu and then realized the path and the light house were very similar to one I visited in Oregon!

Gotta love those rugged coastlines... So amazing
Thank you, replies above...

Old 07-17-2013, 07:23 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Hubby is also a huge "geek"... especially Star Trek, (I'm more of a "fan" LOL!) but we also love Lord of the Rings, Marvel, etc... we've been to Comicon in San Diego several times...
Would we find like minded folks of that sort of thing in Portland of all ages? (we're in the middle ageish zone now)
Portland has Portcon every year. I've never been, but my kids have, and they love it. Lots of comics stuff there, though a lot of it seems to be geared more toward anime. A lot of cosplaying too. Boston also has a big comic convention, and it's only a train ride away. The Boston con probaby gets more "big name" guests.

Portland has a great comic book store downtown. Casablanca Comics: Casablanca Comics - Newbury Comics in South Portland also has a pretty good selection of geek stuff, but contary to the name, it isn't just comics. They have comics, music, movies, TV shirts, etc. If you're looking for comics, go to Casablanca. If you want to just browse though nerdom in various media, Newbury is probably a better bet.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:59 AM

404 posts, read 778,129 times
Podo944

Yes in answer to your question they do handle the snow amazingly well. They have the equipment and plows are everywhere....downtown in portland they every have little bobcats that plow the sidewalk! I haven't found it to be a problem what so ever. SO do though, and some like to complain, maybe I'm easy going. But really they clean it up like nothing I've ever seen!

The programmer market is pretty strong right now...but yes you never know and it seems to go in waves.
And again If you end up being serious don't hesitate to contact me.

You should come out in OCT, great time to visit!

Lastly cold weather asthma is a particular type of condition, not all with normal allergies have it. Sounds like you could have a touch of it, but...really where can you live allergy free?! :-)

Old 07-22-2013, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrixwolfe View Post
Podo944

Yes in answer to your question they do handle the snow amazingly well. They have the equipment and plows are everywhere....downtown in portland they every have little bobcats that plow the sidewalk! I haven't found it to be a problem what so ever. SO do though, and some like to complain, maybe I'm easy going. But really they clean it up like nothing I've ever seen!

The programmer market is pretty strong right now...but yes you never know and it seems to go in waves.
And again If you end up being serious don't hesitate to contact me.

You should come out in OCT, great time to visit!

Lastly cold weather asthma is a particular type of condition, not all with normal allergies have it. Sounds like you could have a touch of it, but...really where can you live allergy free?! :-)
Thank you again for the feedback... I would so love to see Maine in autumn!
Of course that would be the most popular time to see it and the most dangerous time to fall in love with it!

I know Maine is known for 4 seasons, and I've been reading how in winter it can get pretty sunny, even having a lot of glare from the snow. It's good to know the state is good about keeping the streets clear.

I'm also curious how got and humid the summers are? Really sticky and buggy? Are people out and about or hiding from the conditions? Are there any lakes or places where people go swimming in the summer?
Can you tell how little I know about this part of the U.S.?

Also thanks again for the invite to contact you if we get out there. My husband is always up for a "tech talk". The one thing that does appeal about Seattle is the larger computer industry there. If a job doesn't work out, there could be other possibilities nearby, at least in theory.

Also, does Maine want more people moving there? I always hear about how places like Seattle and other areas want the influx of people to stop.

Thanks again!

And of course anyone else feel free to pipe in! This is the first time we even considered looking at the east coast for a relocation possibility.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:25 AM

893 posts, read 1,207,761 times
Maine is not a very good state for computer programmers, but Portland does have some positions. I am moving there in about two weeks and got a job as a developer with a local company. It was not very easy though, I applied to lots of positions and only two even called me back.

I think that overall Maine doesn't have a very big computer-skilled workforce (they only have one "major" university, and it is definitely not known for it's engineering programs, so it just doesn't produce those kind of people like many other states/universities do - or at least not nearly as many) plus it's not a very business-friendly state (high taxes) so technology companies generally stay away.

In fact, the only reason I had to find a new job is because my current company (which has offices all over the world) does not have an office in Maine (and Maine is like the only state they do not have an office in), so a transfer wasn't possible.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
Maine is not a very good state for computer programmers, but Portland does have some positions. I am moving there in about two weeks and got a job as a developer with a local company. It was not very easy though, I applied to lots of positions and only two even called me back.

I think that overall Maine doesn't have a very big computer-skilled workforce (they only have one "major" university, and it is definitely not known for it's engineering programs, so it just doesn't produce those kind of people like many other states/universities do - or at least not nearly as many) plus it's not a very business-friendly state (high taxes) so technology companies generally stay away.

In fact, the only reason I had to find a new job is because my current company (which has offices all over the world) does not have an office in Maine (and Maine is like the only state they do not have an office in), so a transfer wasn't possible.
Thanks for the input... in looking further into this, it may be more practical to pursue the Boston area if we're determined to live in New England, otherwise, Seattle may be the more practical choice.
We'll just have to see how the stars align.

Thanks and good luck to you in your new job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area