Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocation to Portland, Maine from Albuquerque, New Mexico questions: best public school districts, best private schools, child psychiatrist employment, occupational therapist jobs, area hospitals, rehab facilities, sights and neighborhoods

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 09:52 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,685,773 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of moving to Portland from Albuquerque. We hope you all can help answer a few questions:

What are the best public school districts and/or private schools in the Portland area?

What are potential places for a child psychiatrist to work?

What are potential places for an occupational therapist to work (hospital, rehab hospital, or long term care facility type setting)?

If we were to spend 2-3 days visiting Portland, what would be the top places to visit both in terms of seeing the sights and neighborhoods/suburbs?

Thank you much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 11:40 AM

48,116 posts, read 21,996,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmom View Post
My husband and I are thinking of moving to Portland from Albuquerque. We hope you all can help answer a few questions:

What are the best public school districts and/or private schools in the Portland area?

What are potential places for an occupational therapist to work (hospital, rehab hospital, or long term care facility type setting)?

If we were to spend 2-3 days visiting Portland, what would be the top places to visit both in terms of seeing the sights and neighborhoods/suburbs?

I recently moved to Gorham Maine and I like it here very much. I am told it has a good school system....I don't have children of school age so really dont know. My grand daughter goes to a private school in Portland K thru middle school..Breakwater School. Breakwater School, Portland, Maine Her parents really like it very much. I went to some of the end of school year programs and was impressed with the kids and the atmosphere....which I would describe as individualized, nuturing and loving!

Since I am a new comer to the area....I will let others suggest the sights and other neighborhoods.

I love my new community. Good Luck

Old 06-17-2008, 01:23 PM

Default Thank you

Thanks for the input, I'll start researching both Gorham and Breakwater. Our daughter is only 11 mos, but I don't want to have to move once she is school age. We would prefer to live somewhere w/ good public schools. We hear wonderful things about Maine and are very excited about the decision to move!

Old 06-17-2008, 06:40 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,223,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmom View Post

Welcome marmom,

Like elston, I also live in Gorham and have an 18 month old. We are excited about a new school to be built near us and ready in 2011 or so. I believe the Greater Portland area has plenty of opportunity for the fields that you specialize in, as there are many group practices in the area to explore. You might want to get a copy of the yellow pages for Greater Portland and look at all the ads. There are numerous areas in all the towns surrounding Greater Portland that might be right for you, depending upon your needs, wants and budgets.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:40 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,578,143 times
Child Psych and OT's are in as much demand here, as anywhere. I would think that you may look into the Cape area with your dual income. Home prices and taxes will probably be your biggest surprise. Maybe not. Good luck!

Old 06-18-2008, 05:55 AM

874 posts, read 1,855,332 times
From what I have heard about cost of living in NM you will be frowning at heating bills (no brainer there) but pleased with cooling costs. You may be surprised that there are days you will want to run an air conditioner and the humidity will be a huge change.

When we looked at Maine we had a list of places we thought we would like and ended up by chance in a place we had ruled out. My best advice is don't limit yourself. I do not know how schools are in Albuquerque but compared to the high rated "on paper" public schools my children and myself have attended in PA, NJ, and MD, the schools around here are the best I have seen. Not because of test scores in particular but because of an intangible, unmeasurable quality. People seem to truly care about children here collectively in a way I haven't seen elsewhere.

We are very happy with the Portland schools. The choice of an alternative HS has been nothing short of a godsend for us. But honestly I think you will find a good fit almost anywhere. And as Elston pointed out, there is Breakwater and a wealth of other private schools that would be able to fill in any gaps you run in to.

Figure out what your needs are in a house and neighborhood first. For us it was walkability due to a low vision family member and being in the city itself has been perfect for his needs. Write down a list of your dreams for a house and neighborhood. Make a list of the must haves. Then let us know the musts for a neighborhood and I bet we will be able to be even more helpful.

There really are so many different styles of places around here, even within the city itself. You could end up with almost anything you dream of. And with both of your job specialties you will have no problems finding work.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:11 PM

Default Love this forum

WhoFanMe, congrats on your 18 mo old!

This forum is so helpful, especially since we don't have any contacts in Maine. As for a neighborhood, genmomto5, aside from good schools, these are probably our top priorities (not necessarily in order):
-Safe
-Nice places to walk
-Beautiful views
-Not pretentious
As for a home, this is what we hope for:
-3/4 bedroom, 2/3 bath
-Quality built
-2 car garage
-Not too big

I am fairly certain that the taxes in Maine will be quite a bit higher than here. In terms of a house, I would say we could go up to 500K, but would much rather stay in the 300K or less bracket if feasible.

I have researched a lot of cities on city-data, and residents of Maine seem to be pervasively positive about living there. I would be interested to hear what people love most about living there. Also, what are the biggest drawbacks, if any? One thread described parts of Maine as quite conservative. Would you say this is generally true of Maine? Could one describe Maine as progressive? How would you describe the general attitude with respect to tolerance (e.g. race, sexual orientation, religion, etc)?

Thanks again to everyone for the input!

Old 06-18-2008, 12:39 PM

A couple more things (sorry!):
Genmomto5, what a lovely description of the schools:
"the schools around here are the best I have seen. Not because of test scores in particular but because of an intangible, unmeasurable quality. People seem to truly care about children here collectively in a way I haven't seen elsewhere."
As much as I love my hometown of Albuquerque, it is almost exactly the opposite here! (NM is 49th in the nation for education)

Another question about the general atmosphere of Maine is: how would you describe the people overall? Stoic? Friendly? Is there a strong sense of community pride? Thanks again!

Old 06-18-2008, 12:52 PM

48,116 posts, read 21,996,081 times
We moved here about 3 months ago from San Diego county.....we live in Gorham. I have found people in my neighborhood to be very friendly and welcoming. We are an older gay couple--and that has not been an issue.
All the neighbors wave or speak as they drive or jog or walk by our place and give encouragement about our attempt to get a lawn going etc. Our neighborhood is relatively new...so there are others who moved here "from away".....that is a non-issue by the way. We have been welcomed by both the old timers and newbies.

Gorham is a real community....sorta Norman Rockwell in appearance...with American flags hanging from the telephone poles and band concerts and lovely old colonial and victorian homes on the Main Steet and on the tree lined side streets. It also has some really nice upscale developments with beautiful new homes.

It is convenient to the mall and to Portland....but has enough in town that it really isnt necessary to go there very often. It is also a college town.....we were pleased that there was a concert series at the school of music.

We are going to start going into Portland to a UU church and will then spend time afternoons exploring Portland. (It is a beautiful old city). I can't say enough good about this part of Maine.

We just came back from a drive up to Lake Sebago State Park--and got a season pass to all the state parks in Maine. We intend to do a lot of exploring this summer.
Good Luck to you.....may you find just what your looking for.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:31 PM

Thank you, Elston. Your comments help to paint a picture in my mind of what the Portland area feels like. Much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area