Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 07:49 AM

54 posts, read 153,788 times

Advertisements

Our family is planning a trip to Brunswick over Father's Day Weekend to do some recon for a possible relocation next summer. We just have two days and would like to get in some of the sites that will give us a feel for the area. On Saturday, we'd like to get down to the water somewhere, try some local restaurants, and stroll around a little. Sunday, we're visiting a church & meeting with a realtor but have a few more hours that afternoon.

Can you give me some ideas for "what not to miss" for families visiting (ie. considering relocating to) Brunswick?

Thanks,

RC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 10:36 AM

11 posts, read 17,231 times
The Harpswell coastal trails are worth a look (not all of them in one day obviously). The giant stairs trail is great for a short but nice walk. Careful with that one if you have small kids though its very doable. Restaurants out that way are great. People recommend Cooks but I've never been. Morses grill right off the cribstone bridge always seems less busy and its a favorite of ours. Reid state park is a longer drive if you want more accessible water, but I'm sure there are places closer to Brunswick - Mere point maybe?

In town you have to do Shere Punjab if you like Indian food. Cant really go wrong with a walk down Maine street up through the Bowdoin campus. Lots of little shops whether you like art, antiques, food, etc. Little Dog and Wild Oats are great for coffee and lunch. Couple of toy stores depending on how old your kids are - Wylers and another one next to Wild Oats in the Tontine mall. Gelatto Fiasco is a must. If you want to avoid the temptation to drop tons of money, a walk down Federal street is always nice, which we have been known to do.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:40 AM

Great suggestions, doc. You don't happen to have a favorite Thai restaurant do you? Also, re: water, what is the best ocean beach nearest Brunswick in your opinion?

Thanks for the info...

Old 06-11-2015, 08:06 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceCake View Post
Great suggestions, doc. You don't happen to have a favorite Thai restaurant do you? Also, re: water, what is the best ocean beach nearest Brunswick in your opinion?

Thanks for the info...
Reid State Park and Popham Beach. Both are a 30-40 minute drive from Brunswick, but if you are wanting a sandy beach suitable for swimming, those are your best bets.

Of the two, I prefer Popham. But Reid is nice too. This time of year, neither should be overly crowded.

There are other areas in Harpswell where you can get down to the water, but it isn't really a "beach" per se. More rocky with lots of seaweed. Still fun if all you want to do is put your feet in the water and look for crabs. But if you want a real sandy beach, Popham and Reid are your best bets.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:52 AM

Thanks, Mark (and NeuroDr I should have searched on Reid before I asked that). Great suggestions.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:34 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Also, if you're visiting for a possible relocation, be sure to check out Curtis Memorial Library. It's only a block or two off Maine Street, so add it to your stroll itinerary. Just keep in mind that they are now on summer hours and closed on Sundays.

Depending on what ages your kids are, you might want to check out the schools. Offices won't be open on the weekend of course, but you could at least drive by and get an idea.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:51 AM

234 posts, read 360,167 times
Sweet Angel on Pleasant St. has great Thai food.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Depending on what ages your kids are, you might want to check out the schools. Offices won't be open on the weekend of course, but you could at least drive by and get an idea.
Great advice. Think the educator-wife is going to make another trip up during the school week if this trip goes well. Probably fall time frame.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:04 PM

793 posts, read 1,343,347 times
If you do decide to move here, a heads up...No one is in the school administrative offices throughout most of the summer. We had to wait a week or two, just before school started to register. Not a big deal, but I'm the anal, over-organized type and I just wanted to get it done.

Concerning restaurants, I'd recommend the Sea Dog, technically on a tiny island in Topsham, but over-looking Brunswick. Pretty good pub food...If weather permits, sit outside and enjoy views of the river and bridge.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:57 AM

Hey all - We tried Popham Beach and caught it at low tide. Man that was a great time. The boys loved walking out to the island and the beach was perfect for our age kiddos (6&9). The drive down through Bath and Phippsburg was also nice. Sweet Angel was closed on Sunday at noon, so we tried Top Spice in Topsham (which was excellent.) Also grabbed ice coffees and pastries at Wild Oats for breakfast - great spot. Noticed a nice indie movie house next door too. A lot of pluses in the Brunswick downtown.

The greater Brunswick area was pretty decent and we met a number of friendly locals. Not sure if it's the right town for us size wise but glad we took a long look. We liked the area between there and Freeport closer to the coast and we enjoyed some drives in Yarmouth, North Yarmouth, and Pownal. All of those areas seemed to be a little more our speed (size and rural feel). Will be anxious to get up there and visit a few schools once we put our house on the market in the spring and we start really investigating in earnest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area