Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 02:38 PM

9 posts, read 18,692 times

Advertisements

I'm from Phoenix Arizona. I hate it here. I hate the current 114* heat. I hate the standoffish and often violent people. Most of all I hate my abusive ex husband (who thankfully is NOT my child's father)

After leaving him and currently couch surfing with friends, I am looking for a new place to start life over with my daughter.

I did some research, took a "find your place" quiz, and came upon the area of Lewiston, Auburn, Brunswick, Bath etc area.

Bath seems by far the prettiest in my opinion.

I want a nice, quiet, rural, safe place.

I work in the medical lab, (med tech) and I'm hoping to find work right away. Phoenix, with its million plus people, offers very little prospects, as I have had to fight with hundreds of applicants for work.

Also a concern of mine, is my daughter is autistic, and I am hoping for good programs and support for her, including an autistic school as she cannot function in a public school setting.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Ideas on the best place for our forever home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 06:03 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,423,512 times
I would imagine that you will do fine in Maine.

That small corner of Maine is Maine's most populated area. While the other 99% of Maine is rural. You certainly can not get much further away from Arizona, by moving to Maine. Rent your first year, to make sure that you fit in well, before buying.

I live 3 hours drive North, so I can not say much about the specific region you are looking at. But at least I am still in the Southern half of Maine

I wish you the best luck in your move.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:23 PM

880 posts, read 2,346,438 times
I'd check out the Dover, NH area. Maybe not Dover specifically, but around there. There are a lot of schools in that area, and plenty to do. There is a major hospital near by in Portsmouth, but there is also a hospital in Dover. Plus, there is no income tax in NH so you'll keep more of your money which is a good thing being a single mom.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:17 PM

9 posts, read 18,692 times
Thank you both! Submariner I imagine anywhere is more rural compared to Phoenix, barring other major metropolitan cities. I've heard Portland is still not even very large and its the largest city Maine offers lol.

Dubthang, we really want to be near the ocean. At least a day trip distance away. Is that doable there? I grew up pretty much on the ocean in Washington I would like my daughter to see the ocean too

Old 08-17-2015, 08:05 AM

631 posts, read 749,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennei View Post
Thank you both! Submariner I imagine anywhere is more rural compared to Phoenix, barring other major metropolitan cities. I've heard Portland is still not even very large and its the largest city Maine offers lol.

Dubthang, we really want to be near the ocean. At least a day trip distance away. Is that doable there? I grew up pretty much on the ocean in Washington I would like my daughter to see the ocean too
It's not "exactly" Portland, but it's close enough.

8 Ancona Ave, Old Orchard Beach, ME 04064 is For Rent | Zillow

Old 08-17-2015, 10:30 AM

266 posts, read 285,803 times
Quote:
Bath seems by far the prettiest in my opinion.

I want a nice, quiet, rural, safe place.

I work in the medical lab, (med tech) and I'm hoping to find work right away. Phoenix, with its million plus people, offers very little prospects, as I have had to fight with hundreds of applicants for work.
Bath's certainly different than Phoenix (and the weather is terrible in the opposite quarter of the year) I don't know how 'rural' you're looking for, but there's plenty of 'farm country' rural around (as opposed to 'howling wilderness' rural).

Can't help w/ job info, there's a hospital over in Brunswick but this doesn't really feel like the kind of place with a lot of jobs.

It's quiet most of the year (except for tourists), and I'd call it about half scenic (the river's nice, but there's plenty of run-down parts).

Old 08-17-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Popham beach is about 30 minutes from Bath, but as a fellow ex-Washingtoner there are plenty of real beaches (i.e. full of rocks) too.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:49 PM

234 posts, read 360,304 times
I work in Brunswick. There is definitely a growing business community at Brunswick Landing. Mölnlycke Health Care has an office here and there are also two decently sized hospitals in town. There's an industrial park in town as well.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechRocker View Post
two decently sized hospitals in town.
I thought I read they were merging or one bought out the other?

Old 08-17-2015, 09:07 PM

426 posts, read 506,419 times
I like Bath a lot. We live 3 miles south of Portland, but drive through Bath on our way to the beautiful Popham Beach and Reid State Park. Also went to their Fourth of July Day and had lot's of fun. It is on the water, so is very picturesque. My son in law's co - worker commutes from Bath to Portland every day, so with that in mind, check out a well known employer in Maine- IDEXX Laboratories, who probably has jobs in your field. I don't know that much about them, but they are always winning awards, contribute a lot to lot's of non-profits and people who work there seem to be very happy.

I hope it works out. I found that moving from a state (NJ) that I really felt like I never fit in - to a state that I totally love (Maine) has been just incredible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area