Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2018, 07:28 AM

226 posts, read 860,054 times

Advertisements

Good morning All,
Heading to Portland for the first time for a sightseeing and foodie weekend. What would you say is not to be missed and does anyone have any recommendations for great places to eat. Thanks :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 09:47 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
For breakfast, Becky's Diner on the west end waterfront is great. It's busy and you hear commercial fishermen, merchant ship crewmen, local business people and truckers. They are a polite bunch. Red's is now open for the season in South Portland with very good ice cream, shakes etc. It's a sure sign of spring.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:53 PM

973 posts, read 2,381,633 times
The Front Room on Congress St up on Munjoy Hill is a must. My favorite restaurant by far. The Porthole Restaurant in the Old Port was featured on Diner's Drive-ins and Dive and that would be one of my favorite breakfast spots, although you should also check out The Bayou Kitchen for breakfast. Lots of great choices, that's for sure.

Old 03-26-2018, 06:27 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,328 times
J's Oyster
3 Dollar Dewy's
Maine Diner
Gritty's

Old 03-27-2018, 03:29 PM

12,417 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
J's Oyster
3 Dollar Dewy's
Maine Diner
Gritty's
It's been some years since I've been there, but I really loved the smoked seafood chowder at 3 Dollar Dewey's - outstanding!

Of course, being "OutdoorLover", I have to recommend some outdoor spots - on Cape Elizabeth just south of the city, easily taken in sequence. I suggest starting from Crescent Beach:
- Crescent Beach State Park - beautiful sandy (yes crescent-shaped) beach backed by trees and with a little island just offshore
- Two Lights State Park (nice granite ledges face the sea on a projecting point, especially fun when there are big waves smashing on the point), and there is a lobster shack down the road just a bit near the two lights
- Portland Head Light - iconic lighthouse, one of the prettiest you'll ever see

Old 03-28-2018, 07:13 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,328 times
I try to recommend places beyond the common tourist spots.

Gilsand Farm is a nice outdoor walk just outside the city.
https://www.maineaudubon.org/visit/gilsland-farm/

Across the street is Mackworth Island. A nice nature walk along the water with great views.
https://www.mainetrailfinder.com/tra...ate-park-trail

Portland Head Light is always great and you can easily spend the day. I would recommend continue driving down Shore Road when you leave the park. Just a nice scenic winding drive.

The food places I recommended have been staples of Maine for decades. The Maine Diner has been renovated but the original Diner is still there with a great story.

Just some places that aren't always mentioned.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:38 PM

43 posts, read 57,653 times
Food:

Bayside Cafe: really awesome breakfast/brunch spot, known for there various eggs benedict options

Dutch's: very cool breakfast spot, informal go up to the counter and order (the portland breakfast is great)

Slab: right across the street from Dutch's, sicilian pizza spot, multiple beers on tap

Holy Donut: the best doughnuts I've ever had, they have 3 locations now, 2 in Portland (park ave and exchange st.) there made with maine potatoes and are AMAZING

Tandoor: Really nice Indian restaurant on exchange st, very good prices for the area ($10-13 entrees)

Sights:

Walk around the eastern promenade, or run/bike the trail, very popular spot when the weather is nice, can also kayak in this area, has a small dog-friendly beach as well

try to catch a sunset at the small park on North St. (right next to 56 North), it overlooks the city and the back bay

if you're into running/walking or have pets, consider the back bay loop walk (there is a parking lot across from Hannaford), it's a 4 mile loop around the bay and is really nice

check out exchange street on foot, multiple shops/cool stores in the area

edit: guess i'm too late haha

Old 05-30-2018, 09:43 AM

28 posts, read 47,059 times
for spendier dinner, Central Provisions, Honey Paw, Pai Men Miyake. For cocktails, The Bearded Lady or Hunt & Alpine. For brunch, Lolita in the East End....pizza at Slab or Otto, beers at Novare Res, dumplings at Bao Bao. Ice cream at Gorgeous Gelato or MDI Ice Cream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area