Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 01:41 PM

874 posts, read 1,856,395 times

Advertisements

The YMCA is probably the best option for families. There is a pool and swim lessons and childcare are included in the cost of membership. Planet Fitness is another option. It is designed for a streamlined machine work-out with no class options I think. But it costs a heck of a lot less than the Y. I don't know much about the other gyms in town but the Adult Rec program has a bunch of fitness classes that are walk-in. Also, many people in town get their exercise outside year round. Portland has a great trail system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 02:03 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,050,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicbookmommy View Post
OH! And I was wondering what people thought the best Gym in Portland is? We currently have a YMCA membership as it's the only choice in town, but we're super excited to try somewhere new!
The YMCA is decent in Portland. Most of my peers worked out at Planet Fitness (a few locations around). For laps and other aquatic activities, you can't beat the city of Portland. Riverton Pool (not far from the Wesbtook Line) and Reiche Pool (West End) are both cheap and easy to use. Not as busy as YMCA swims. They also offer a lot of other activities. HERE is the link to the city's pool schedule. Their prices are cheap (3.50 for an adult resident 1.00 for a child... you can also get various types of passes).

Old 10-22-2009, 07:32 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
There are a great many farms, dairies and CSAs in Maine who are not 'Certified Organic'. However among them are many who completely follow the organic guidelines, but for whatever reason do not wish to pay the fees associated with getting certified and play the politics of that organization.

I have seen them where customers are welcome to come visit, to tour their operation, to see for yourself if there is any thing going on that you do not want in your food.

There are many who like the ideals of organic, even though they may not like the politics of the LLC that administers the certification process.
I guess it's a moot point since I drink about three cups of milk a year!

Old 10-22-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday1 View Post
Well said, Maineah. I'm thinking I'll vote for no on the excise tax change, though. I thought Bill Nemitz's article in the Portland Herald made sense (that it only benefits people with new cars and hurts local budgets) although I'm still thinking about it. What say you?
It's a tough call on that one. If I felt the towns were actually fixing the roads as they should be with the money they (steal) from us at registration time I guess I wouldn't care so much. I think they take a disproportionate sum from the so-called wealthy because they can afford to buy a new car. If they were forced to raise the excise tax on everyone else there would be a huge outcry, but it's ok to take advantage of those with a bit more money. In my town this year they laid about 1000 feet of new pavement. Somehow I think they probably taxed the Lexus and Mercedes owners much more than what they actually spent on hot top.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:35 PM

33 posts, read 88,877 times
Thank you for the information on the gyms!! Planet fitness sounds nice. I'll have to check and see if they have a "kid gym" type thing like the Y to watch the kids while working out, that's been a big help over the years. Also my husband loooooves to lift weights and try new machines, so if Planet Fitness has more than the YMCA we might have to switch!

Oh, I'm just talking to myself again, thank you again so much for the info on the gyms! Going to check them out right now!

Should have a place finalized early next week, if everything goes right! Can't wait!

Old 10-22-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicbookmommy View Post
Thank you for the information on the gyms!! Planet fitness sounds nice. I'll have to check and see if they have a "kid gym" type thing like the Y to watch the kids while working out, that's been a big help over the years. Also my husband loooooves to lift weights and try new machines, so if Planet Fitness has more than the YMCA we might have to switch!

Oh, I'm just talking to myself again, thank you again so much for the info on the gyms! Going to check them out right now!

Should have a place finalized early next week, if everything goes right! Can't wait!
I lift weights too but I'm afraid it's 12 ounces at a time now!

Old 10-23-2009, 04:29 AM

300 posts, read 758,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
The YMCA is decent in Portland. Most of my peers worked out at Planet Fitness (a few locations around). For laps and other aquatic activities, you can't beat the city of Portland. Riverton Pool (not far from the Wesbtook Line) and Reiche Pool (West End) are both cheap and easy to use. Not as busy as YMCA swims. They also offer a lot of other activities. HERE is the link to the city's pool schedule. Their prices are cheap (3.50 for an adult resident 1.00 for a child... you can also get various types of passes).
Lr, is there anything you didn't do in Portland? :-) you certainly got around :-)

Old 10-25-2009, 02:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,712 times
Hi Comic book mommy. We live on the Maine New Hampshire border not far from Portland and it is really nice having both ocean and mountains to choose from for a daytrip. I like your spunk. You would definitely be a friend of mine! Follow your dreams. Notice who sounds happy here are those who are positive thinkers and there is nothing wrong with being adventurous because if you have done it enough, you are resourceful enough to solve your own problems. Stay in touch, especially when u arrive.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:32 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,050,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablogun View Post
Lr, is there anything you didn't do in Portland? :-) you certainly got around :-)
Hahaha I try to take it all in when I live somewhere. I didn't get to the islands much (once really), nor did I spend much time at the beaches or doing many of the outdoor activities the area is known for (i.e. kayaking, canoeing, hiking, etc). I do regret that a bit.

I love going out to eat, so the gym/ swimming were important to keep me from blowing up like a tick.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:47 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,441,819 times
I keep seeing references to excise tax on vehicles and the dreaded emissions inspections. If you live in Anchorage you have to get the inspection; however, if you live outside of the Anchorage area, as I do, you don't have to.

We do have a tax up here also on vehicles; it is determined by the year of the vehicle. We purchased a 2009 vehicle when we were in the lower 48 this year and when we got our registration and license plates in AK. the fee was something like $265 (can't remember how much of that was tax). Our plates here are good for 2 years. Is this similar to what Maine has?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area