Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 03:10 PM

55 posts, read 153,964 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I wish to move to the West Hills part of Portland early next year with my fiance... A friend of my mothers wrote the following in a e-mail to her...

"Tell your son 'not' to move to Portland, to many odd things happening in that market place. One wanting to get rid of all police, so the citizens can rule the state. Not such a good thing when they have let so many other cultures in. The crime looks almost like LA anymore. We are glad to be out."

What is this person referring to...? Do this even make sense...?

-RoatanMan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 03:18 PM

90 posts, read 150,724 times
The Red and Black Cafe's co-owner responds to criticism for his decision to ask Officer James Crooker to leave.

The video is a litany of leftist idiocy which will either make you laugh or yell...

YouTube - Cafe owner explains why he booted a cop!

Old 06-09-2010, 03:46 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoatanMan View Post
Hello,

I wish to move to the West Hills part of Portland early next year with my fiance... A friend of my mothers wrote the following in a e-mail to her...

"Tell your son 'not' to move to Portland, to many odd things happening in that market place. One wanting to get rid of all police, so the citizens can rule the state. Not such a good thing when they have let so many other cultures in. The crime looks almost like LA anymore. We are glad to be out."

What is this person referring to...? Do this even make sense...?

-RoatanMan
No one is proposing getting rid of the police in Portland. There was a well-publicized incident in which an anarchist cafe owner asked a police officer to leave--referenced in the post above. Just another case of anarchists acting badly--nothing new, and not really something that would be of much concern outside of SE Portland if the media didn't pick up on it.

There has been some local concern about a rash of fatal shootings of the mentally ill involving police this year. This has led to some criticism of the department. But other than that, crime is still failry low in this town--nothing like LA or big cities in California---and while there have been police budget cuts resulting in reduction in services, this is more a reflection of Portland's own financial issues.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:26 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,508 times
People who have never lived in parts of LA, Chicago, Detroit quite literally are clueless about the depth of urban crime can get. Portland is an urban community of about 2.2 million people including the 'burbs. The crime rate is not in the big leagues, and most likely never will be. I still contend the crime rate (except for vandalism, and maybe domestic issues) is low all over the Portland area.

HOWEVER, there are going to be Public Employee cut backs. Thus, I have been told, 1 year ago, a 911 call for a bar fight would have had a 2 police officer response, now in the face of cut backs there are 6 or more officers responding, and being very, over the top, aggressive, taking anyone in the area as belligerent person. Thus justifying reasons for no cuts in Police Union, and upping the crime rate to also justify the No Cuts in police payroll. There are anecdotal examples of many kinds. There are entire neighborhoods that object to the recent over the top police aggressiveness that seem to stem from poor leadership from the Chief of Police, to a Police Union trying to expand it's membership in the face of City Budget cuts.

Portland is NOT Idaho, Montana, Utah, it is the largest urban city in Oregon. Portland is not for everybody. I, who moved here from the suburbs of Detroit, am quite happy and feel safe. YMMV.

If you don't feel safe in Portland, don't move here.

Phil

Old 06-09-2010, 04:56 PM

771 posts, read 1,582,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Hungrybb View Post
The Red and Black Cafe's co-owner responds to criticism for his decision to ask Officer James Crooker to leave.

The video is a litany of leftist idiocy which will either make you laugh or yell...

YouTube - Cafe owner explains why he booted a cop!
No one *wants* the police until they actually need them.

I'm going to laugh like a maniac when this guy's place gets robbed and he tells the media that "maybe I'll get a gun" afterwards.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:27 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
It doesn't really make sense as an English-language paragraph; no.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:33 PM

90 posts, read 188,491 times
I was reading some reviews of this place online, Seems like a lot of other people have had problem with this place. From what I read, they only cater to a certain crowd, so if you only like that place if you fit into there crowd.

Red and Black Cafe - Southeast Portland - Portland, OR

Old 06-09-2010, 07:57 PM

117 posts, read 274,459 times
I have been here almost 6 months now, and have never felt threatened or unsafe... I take the MAX, I walk at night, its not like I am a hermit... crime here is much lower than So Cal....

However, I have never seen a community so openly hostile towards its police department. From that idiot cafe owner, to the Oregonian editorial page, the lack of support for the local police force is unlike anything I have ever seen or heard of before. The community hostility towards the cops makes me much more nervous than any stranger I run across walking around my neighborhood.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:13 PM

55 posts, read 153,964 times
Yeah, I figured it was an "over the top" comment... The lady that wrote is in her late 60's... Either way, I just wanted to see a local stand-point on the issue... I hope to move to Portland early next year if everything goes my way... I really love if up there... It seems like the Pros vastly outweigh the Cons...

Thank you all for your input...

-RoatanMan

Old 06-09-2010, 11:11 PM

890 posts, read 3,701,554 times
Yeah I laughed out loud at that....definitely an overstatement and seems to suffer from sever exaggeration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland