Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2010, 08:16 PM

105 posts, read 225,608 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Portland and was just wondering what traffic is like on the Sellwood Bridge if one were to be going east in the morning and west in the evening. I'm wondering if it's feasible to live in SW Portland and work in SE Portland. Thanks for any help or info!

Last edited by Oildog; 06-20-2010 at 10:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 05:41 AM

157 posts, read 523,425 times
If you were to live in SE and work in SW, you'd be going west in the morning and east in the evening unless those were two separate questions, or you work nights. Heading west, I usually don't have any problems throughout the day. Macadam going north is good until John's Landing. Taylor's Ferry is good heading west.

Coming home east is a different story. Taylor's Ferry is slow with a jam at Macadam. Then it slows at the bridge since oncoming traffic going onto the bridge doesn't have a light. The east end of the bridge is slow on Tacoma due to people turning left at 13th and 17th. It backs up all the way to the bridge.

The bridge itself is narrow and some of the more adventurous/suicidal bikers like to hug the roadside.

One warning, Sellwood Bridge is in need of an overhaul. If you plant yourself in SE, you might lose that route to work in the near future.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:20 AM

105 posts, read 225,608 times
Oh, right - sorry about the mistake in the first post. I would like to live in the SW and work in the SE parts of Portland (I've edited the post accordingly).

So in light of the correction, would going east in the morning be a problem? Is going west in the afternoon still alright?

Also, is the Ross Island Bridge any better of an option? Thanks again!

Old 06-20-2010, 03:08 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,483,278 times
For just plain old fashion gut level "this-bridge-is-not-going-to-collapse-today" vibes, take the Ross Island Bridge.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:14 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,819,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
For just plain old fashion gut level "this-bridge-is-not-going-to-collapse-today" vibes, take the Ross Island Bridge.
The Ross Island Bridge commute in rush hours is awful. I attend school in SW and live in SE and take the Deathtrap Bri... I mean... Sellwood Bridge just to avoid the traffic on Powell Blvd and the Ross Island Bridge. But then again, I am going the opposite direction from OP. Going over the Ross Island Bridge heading east might be a bit smoother coming up from Barbur, but not sure about Macadam.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:17 AM

157 posts, read 523,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvrpl View Post
Oh, right - sorry about the mistake in the first post. I would like to live in the SW and work in the SE parts of Portland (I've edited the post accordingly).

So in light of the correction, would going east in the morning be a problem? Is going west in the afternoon still alright?

Also, is the Ross Island Bridge any better of an option? Thanks again!
Backdrifter is right. Heading west is generally not a problem (on Sellwood)but heading east is (on both Sellwood and Ross Island).

It's bad on the Sellwood if you are coming down Taylor's Ferry or north on 43. On 43, it's only a yield sign. You have to gun it when you can, or hope for a friendly driver to let you on.

On Ross Island heading east, it's worse. Ross Island gets fed by 4 different sources all converging at the bridge. Yield signs are the only traffic control and so the wait to get on can be painful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland