Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 11:44 AM

3 posts, read 5,329 times

Advertisements

Well, I have been seeing a lot of "men" walking around in flip flops, I know quite a few "men" who are vegetarians, and I've seen some "men" who don't know how to change a tire or who don't how to use a hammer.

Very girly-manish in my mind and girly straight men are .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 02:01 PM

48 posts, read 126,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauxbatonsDropout View Post
Well, I have been seeing a lot of "men" walking around in flip flops, I know quite a few "men" who are vegetarians, and I've seen some "men" who don't know how to change a tire or who don't how to use a hammer.

well.. would you rather have some egotistical meat head types instead?

are flip flops considered girly or something? same goes with not eating meat?

i don't think so.

you paint a picture of frolicking males in flip flops eating carrots or something.

as it might be hard to believe that a man could not do those things. some people have never been around the tools to do such. especially young males who have never had to do house work, or car work for that matter. doesn't make them girly in my opinion, just lacking expertise and experience. i can do the latter but don't look down on those who can't. if anything i'd show them how easy it can be done.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:31 PM

73,027 posts, read 62,634,962 times
What do you consider the criteria for being a manly man?

Old 08-13-2010, 03:00 PM

415 posts, read 1,666,676 times
Quote:

I have to agree. There are certain things a man should know, like how to change a tire and do basic tasks around the house. Most women I have met in my life appreciate a man who is fairly masculine and knows how to be a man when needed.

However, there is a huge difference between being masculine and being a complete meathead, a la the jocks in the Revenge of the Nerds movies. Just think, would you find a woman attractive if she didn't possess any feminine characteristics? If a woman didn't shave her legs, didn't cook, and couldn't be seductive when the right time comes, I highly doubt she would find a quality guy.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:14 PM

639 posts, read 1,599,491 times
Everyone should know how to change a tire and check their oil and coolant regardless of their gender! BUT -- last time I was on the street checking and refilling my coolant (it ran low) some guy sidled over quietly and sort of stood around near me on the sidewalk until I was done and then he went on his way. I think he was just looking out for me, sort of ready to help if I needed it.

I sort of liked it.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:03 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Is wearing flip flops really considered un-manly? I thought that was just kind of a casual West Coast thing...I mean I never wear them(then again I don't wear shorts either usually) but I've never looked at my flip-flop wearing friends and thought of them being girly men for doing so, lol...

And yeah, everyone with a car should know how to change a tire or check their oil. That's not really a test of masculinity, that's more just basic skills anyone with half a brain should be able to do...

Old 08-14-2010, 04:06 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,782,278 times
Quote:

I live in Alabama. I wear flip-flops in the summer and call a tow service if I get a flat (don't know how to change one). Now I do eat meat, but not a whole lot and definitely not red meat, unless it is pepperoni on a pizza. Mainly just ocassional turkey, chicken, or fish. I do know how to use a hammer though, and am a good craftsman when it comes to building stuff. Am straight, for what it is worth. I do wear tight jeans in the winter.

Just pointing out that us "girly men" can be found all over.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:39 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,907 times
With all the breweries and iron bridges around there, I for one second never thought Portland would be at the bottom of any "man list".

Also, I regularly bicycle down in the desert, rain or freezing wind.
The dude-bruhs barreling past in their heated, lifted trucks in 20 degree weather while I spin the cranks are the real princesses.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:18 AM

5,463 posts, read 8,184,520 times
Any city where one of the two official cars is a Prius can’t be manly. The politically incorrect (makes fun of the Green movement and Americans, for starters), internationally popular BBC show Top Gear shows what a real American man (beginning at 1:40 mark) does with a Prius:

YouTube - what is a prius good for?

Old 08-14-2010, 11:14 AM

73,027 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Any city where one of the two official cars is a Prius can’t be manly. The politically incorrect (makes fun of the Green movement and Americans, for starters), internationally popular BBC show Top Gear shows what a real American man (beginning at 1:40 mark) does with a Prius:

YouTube - what is a prius good for?
I guess I am not manly by any stretch if that is what it means. I would never shoot bullet holes into a Prius if I could help it. I have actually thought a Prius was a good car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland