Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,396 times

Advertisements

Hello! My family and I are thinking of moving to the West Coast. My husband and I live in Md with our 2 girls ages 2 and 13. I am soooooo over this state and all the crime. We were thinking of maybe moving to Portland,Oregon. That is one of our top 3 anyway. We have never been so I was hoping to get some much needed advice. I am 34 and I am a stay at home mom. I am part of a non kill animal rescue and I would certainly continue to do that no matter where I am living. Animals are a HUGE part of my life! My husband is in the comic industry. I would love to get advice about schools, crime, activities, jobs, real estate, and all that jazz. If anyone has advice about another West Coast state, I'd love to hear it. Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 03:13 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
Here's an excellent place to start your research:

Coming to Oregon? Check these links for FAQ s before posting

Old 07-15-2010, 04:16 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,025,495 times
You'll fit right in here. Portland is probably the #2 city in the country for comics people (after NY) and there's a large animal-rescue community. There's even some crossover between the two; I know a freelance letterer who has 8-10 cats at any given time.

The things that would complicate your move to Portland: #1 would be jobs. Jobs can be very (VERY) difficult to come by. #2 would be the weather. Look around this forum; there's a lot of discussion of it. It's cloudy and rainy here about nine months of the year. If you need sunshine, you won't make it here.

On the plus side, the schools are among the best of large-city school districts (and as with most large cities, the suburban schools are even better); the crime rate here is among the lowest in US Metro areas; and the area is full of things to do.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:47 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,508 times
Bring you own crab cake recipe, they just don't do crab cakes as well out here in Portland. Dungeness crabs instead of Blue Fin. Very, Very, good crab cakes, but not the same as in Baltimore. Also I haven't found anyone who does Crab Imperial (you know, the heart stopping ultra high cholesterol swimming in butter crab dish?) But hey, you can make your own, only better because you can use Dungeness crabs.

Portland is unique, and not for everyone. Do your homework, and compare with the other cities you are thinking about.

City of Portland has not been left for deterioration. We have enforced Urban Growth Boundaries on the suburban communities, For the neighborhoods of the city of Portland, Google: Moving to Portland, OR.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:50 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Darkhorse Comics has their home here. Your husband may want to contact them to see about a job. A friend of mine worked there before he moved to New York and really liked it but it was extremely difficult to get hired on due to the competition. But there is competition in every field. If you have a family and you want to remain a stay-at-home mom, please check out the employment situation for your spouse before you move.

The unemployment statistics may be the same as other places but the competition is through the roof.

If you are able to support yourselves here it's a good place for families. Portland schools are experiencing major cutbacks so you have to be careful about the nieghborhoods you chose. There are some excellent suburban schools as well. There are parents on the board who can fill you in on those. There are lots of activities for kids outside of school.

Portland has a wonderful animal shelter: The Orgeon Humane Society. They are largely no-kill. they will foster animals and have subscriptions to keep their "guests" alive and happy. There are other definite no-kill cat shelters in the area as well. Someone else will have to speak specifically for the dogs. I am a cat lady.

The weather may take some getting used to but most of us enjoy it. If you are not a sunlover you will do ok.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:09 PM

506 posts, read 1,313,627 times
According to this state crime ranking, the West Coast may not be your best bet if you're trying to get away from crime. Oregon is the best of the West Coast states though.

http://os.cqpress.com/rankings/Crime...kings_2009.pdf

Old 07-17-2010, 01:30 AM

48 posts, read 126,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDNY View Post
According to this state crime ranking, the West Coast may not be your best bet if you're trying to get away from crime. Oregon is the best of the West Coast states though.

http://os.cqpress.com/rankings/Crime...kings_2009.pdf
Sorry, but that's absurd... Just stay away from the entire west coast???.. common sense tells me.. crime is usually at its highest in centralized urban areas.. in any urban city.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:33 PM

506 posts, read 1,313,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcims View Post
Sorry, but that's absurd... Just stay away from the entire west coast???.. common sense tells me.. crime is usually at its highest in centralized urban areas.. in any urban city.
It's taken from FBI crime statistics, but ok, it's absurd if you say so.

I didn't say "stay away from the entire west coast" did I? The OP said she was trying to get away from crime. If that is her main criteria, there are places that would be a better bet, in general. Don't be so hypersensitive.

Here is a best/worst list of crime by city. Feel better? Portland is in the top 10 for cities over 500k.

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2009...Population.pdf

Old 07-19-2010, 03:36 PM

54 posts, read 118,698 times
Portland area is a great place for animal lovers, I have seen them ranked on several lists as pet friendly etc. Plenty of dog parks, cafes and markets that allow dogs and many stores that specialize in pet products. The Oregon Humane Society is one of the best in the nation. There are countless rescue organaizations too ( Indigo, OFoSA, C.A.T.) Plus the Audubon Society. I'm out in the burbs but its the same here too. Most Northwesterns are active and into nature and I think this goes hand in hand with loving animals.

Last edited by BirdInHand; 07-19-2010 at 04:07 PM..

Old 07-20-2010, 06:25 PM

48 posts, read 126,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDNY View Post
It's taken from FBI crime statistics, but ok, it's absurd if you say so.

I didn't say "stay away from the entire west coast" did I? The OP said she was trying to get away from crime. If that is her main criteria, there are places that would be a better bet, in general. Don't be so hypersensitive.

Here is a best/worst list of crime by city. Feel better? Portland is in the top 10 for cities over 500k.

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2009...Population.pdf
Thanks for the link. On the top ten list, for cities listed as the lowest crime rate rating (500k plus), five of them are on the west coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland