Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 11:06 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefr View Post
P.S.
It's also highly illegal here to brew your own beer and transport it. That means you can't enter your homebrew in local competitions or even take it to a friends house to enjoy.

Transportation of homebrew and regulation of super market shopping bags is of paramount importance to our corrupt politicians. Jobs and the economy mean absolutely nothing to them.
The homebrew thing is stupid - it's an old, old law that everyone had forgotten about and then (rumor has it) some jackass didn't want to see homebrew at the Oregon State Fair, asked the OLCC for clarification, OLCC had to take it to the State Attorney's office, and they said that the correct interpretation of the statute is that homebrew can't be taken out of the home.

OLCC claims they are rewriting the law ASAP, but we have a part-time legislature and it won't be until next year that the law gets fixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 06:50 AM

404 posts, read 1,338,788 times
Home | Oregon Liquor Search

See for it yourself.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:20 PM

Just thought I'd update the thread - the OLCC did indeed rewrite the law in March of 2011. From the Oregon Home Brewer Alliance, the main changes are:
Quote:
Oregon SB 444 allows the following:

● Eliminates the restrictions on the transportation of homebrew
● Eliminates the restrictions on where homebrew can be consumed
● Eliminates the restrictions on where homebrew can be made
● Allow clubs to charge dues
● Allow entry fees and prizes at competitions
● Allow homebrew to be served at club meetings held at pubs or other licensed premises
● Allow homebrew club members to participate in small-scale professional brewing at pubs
● Allow people who teach homebrewing classes to be paid.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:52 AM

145 posts, read 265,072 times
Interesting thread...I am moving from Louisville, KY to Portland soon. I will definitely bring a few cases of BOURBON!

Old 12-03-2011, 11:39 PM

892 posts, read 2,392,936 times
Just for perspective, I moved here from the east coast and I think all the alcohol here is amazingly affordable (especially considering the quality of the beers available). None of the liquor prices, in the stores or the bars, seem odd at all from my perspective.

I've never been out drinking or grocery shopping in CA, I guess stuff there is just insanely cheap?

Old 12-05-2011, 09:47 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
I just found out that SW 7th street is known as "Distillery Row." There are five distilleries in twenty blocks that make everything from White Whiskey (VERY good,) to a variety of flavored liquors. Add in places like Clear Creek Distillery and Sake One in Forest Grove, I see very little reason to even go to a liquor store anymore.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:45 AM

892 posts, read 1,593,103 times
For beer, wine and specialty liquors like Clear Creek and New Deal, the prices are comparable. But, the sales and Costco in CA pretty much make bulk liquor like rum and whiskey half price in California. You can compare prices online to get an idea by going to BevMo! - Wine, Spirits, Liquor, Beer, Microbrews, Gourmet, Champagne, Cabernet, Chardonnay, Bordeaux, Scotch, Vodka, Tequila vs Find Liquor In Oregon | Oregon Liquor Search That won't get you the sale prices but it's a start. All the state liquor stores carry the same basic liquor at the same price. You will find some that carry above and beyond the basics - there's a great store in Lincoln City.

I'm excited about the deregulating of liquor stores in Washington and wondering what its affect on prices and selection will be. And how it may affect Oregon's liquor stores in the coming year or two.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:01 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,002,162 times
So what's the price of a six-pack - say Black Butte Porter - in a grocery store in Oregon?

Same goes for a regular-sized bottle of wine, such as Berringer Merlot?

Old 12-05-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
So what's the price of a six-pack - say Black Butte Porter - in a grocery store in Oregon?

Same goes for a regular-sized bottle of wine, such as Berringer Merlot?
Regular price for the Deschutes Brewing Black Butte Porter would be about $8 a six, sale price around $6-$7. Right now the Jubelale 12 pks are on sale for about $9.

The one that irritates me is my favorite Dead Guy Guy from Rogue, which is $11 a six at Fred's, regular price, about $9.50 on sale. The local Costco - which rarely carries it - has it for $24 a 24 pack, which is a GREAT price. Down in the LA area for Turkey Day, I bought it for $7 a six at Total Wines, and that wasn't even a sale price.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:33 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,837,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
, I bought it for $7 a six at Total Wines, and that wasn't even a sale price.
Total Wine in Las Vegas is the best. $10 a fifth cheaper than Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland