Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 10:50 AM

506 posts, read 1,313,352 times

Advertisements

I like facts, whether from the BLS via the internet, or otherwise. The facts say that the job situatation is getting better. The facts say that the unemployment rate in Portland is just a smidgen over the national average. The facts say that there was "statistically significant" job growth in Oregon last month (from the BLS).

Yes, there are many people making less or the same than they were a few years ago in Portland. There are many people who have left the labor force or are underemployed. However, that's the case all over the place. From 2000 through 2009, the typical American household saw a drop in income in real terms of 7%. Only five US states saw a rise in household income during that time, and Oregon wasn't one of them.

Things aren't great in Oregon economically right now, but they aren't great too many places in the US. The fact is though, they have bottomed and are improving. I employ myself, but if I didn't and was having trouble finding a job, I'd find a different kind of job. There are always jobs available. Change your skill set, do some research, wash dishes or scrub toilets if you have to.

Hell, in my early twenties when I was trying to break into the business world and was looking for a chance to prove myself, I would have worked for free if it had given me the opportunity to show them what I could do. I didn't end up getting much more than nothing, my starting salary at my first "real" job in 1996 was $20,0000 a year. In NYC too, which is less than homeless people probably make. My main function initially was to make copies, get coffee, and pick up dry cleaning. I arranged bachelor parties, I went out for food, I shopped for presents for people's spouses. I did whatever they wanted me to do. By the middle of my first year I was making 35k, by about the 15 month mark I was making 150k. Yes, that's right, 20k to 150k in one year. At age 25. I'm now 39 and no longer work for anyone else.

Now, I'm not special, but my particular experience is unlikely to be yours. I suppose the main point of my ramble is that opportunities are everywhere, you just have to take advantage of them when you see them, and you need to always be on the lookout for them, and not wait for things to fall into your lap.

I'm moving to Portland from NY next summer. My wife is from there and I've spent a lot of time there. I see many business opportunities in Portland, and I fully intend to take advantage of them. It's a wonderful city with a bright future. It's not heaven, it's not perfect, but then where on this Earth is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 04:29 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Didn't mean to come across as accusing you of being "flat out wrong".

It's been a long, draining, and demoralizing recession. According to the Oregon Dept. of Labor stats, it has gotten better in some parts of Oregon but I have yet to see those numbers actually reflected in the lives of those I know who have been affected by it.

The numbers just don't tell the whole story.

For instance, I work in Alaska. The unemployment rate in the area which I work is about 18%. But it's actually easier for the average person to find work there than it is in Portland. Sounds strange, I'm sure, but it's simply because there's a huge influx of seafood workers in the area who leave and draw unemployment when the season ends. Not that that applies to Portland; it's just an example of how numbers can be misleading.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:23 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Change your skill set, do some research, wash dishes or scrub toilets if you have to
These are the most difficult jobs to come by in Oregon. They have the greatest competition. Better advice would be to find what types of jobs are in any kind of demand and get some training in them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland