Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 02:14 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,443,694 times

Advertisements

The Riverplace is technically in South Waterfront. Pretty much ten years ago it was empty industrial land so gets cut out of the traditional "in downtown" definition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 06:32 PM

600 posts, read 1,469,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastee View Post
Wouldn't the Riverplace Hotel be considered directly in the downtown area? I've lived here less than two years and I don't begin to understand the neighborhood cutoffs, close-in, etc. terminology.

The Riverplace Hotel looks very nice from the lobby. You couldn't be closer to the river without being on a boat. Since its at Riverplace, its a block or two from the streetcar free rail zone.

Mountain views during the day are nice (assuming the weather cooperates), but being near the river at night is very nice with all the lights being reflected.
Yes, Riverplace is on the waterfront and also downtown. The hotel is very nice and the outdoor deck is fabulous for cocktails in the summer. This hotel has been here a while and has changed hands a few times (it was originally the Alexis Hotel for those that can remember that far back). There are other restaurants there (Mc Cormicks/Harborside) and places to get ice cream and such. It seems lately that its sink or swim for restaurants there, Stanford's closed along with Newport Bay but that could be due to Pacific Coast Restaurants selling the company and Restaurants Unlimited phasing out that concept

Last edited by Daisy32673; 02-11-2011 at 06:40 PM..

Old 02-12-2011, 06:10 AM

39 posts, read 58,413 times
Thank you all for the great info!

Yes, I'm addicted to Yelp...just wanted to get views from people living in PDX or nearby.

I'm really surprised no one mentioned The Benson. I heard it's haunted too! Does anyone have any opinions on The Benson?

P.s. I really love hotels with atriums. PDX has some very interesting and beautiful hotels!

Last edited by atjl72; 02-12-2011 at 06:48 AM..

Old 02-12-2011, 10:37 AM

181 posts, read 455,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atjl72 View Post
I'm really surprised no one mentioned The Benson. I heard it's haunted too! Does anyone have any opinions on The Benson
My boyfriend and I stayed at The Benson last summer, and we would happily stay there again. The lobby is beautiful and has a very glamorous feel to it. As for the rooms - we were traveling on a budget, so we stayed in a regular guest room (actually I think it was called a "Deluxe King" room). There was absolutely nothing wrong with it, but there was nothing special about it, either. Everything was very clean, and the bed was comfortable, but it was rather small (especially the bathroom). We were traveling casually, so it was just fine for our purposes. Since you're planning a special romantic trip, though, I would recommend getting a suite to have a little more elbow room and perhaps a slightly more "upscale" feel. I just checked their website, and it looks like the junior suites are only $30 more per night than the deluxe king rooms. Re: dining - we only had breakfast at the London Grill (the restaurant downstairs at The Benson), but I can tell you that the setting is lovely. There is another upscale restaurant at The Benson called El Gaucho, but we did not dine there. Anyway, hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atjl72 View Post
Thank you all for the great info!

Yes, I'm addicted to Yelp...just wanted to get views from people living in PDX or nearby.

I'm really surprised no one mentioned The Benson. I heard it's haunted too! Does anyone have any opinions on The Benson?

P.s. I really love hotels with atriums. PDX has some very interesting and beautiful hotels!
I did!

"If you want something nice, romantic, walkable area and view I would go with either the Benson hotel (which houses El Gaucho and the London Grill...YUM! Presidents stay here when they come to town) Riverplace hotel or The Nines. The Marriott on the river is old and isnt that great a hotel anymore, compared to the others listed. Hotel Lucia and the Vintage Plaza are a couple others that are nice too."

If you want to go top notch, then I would eat and stay here. There really isnt a view of the river or anything so that might be a factor. But if I was going to be proposed to and wanted the highest level of class/service and romance this is where I'd want to be proposed to!

Old 02-13-2011, 07:29 AM

Thank you for he replies. Yes, Daisy you did mention it, my mistake! There is this restaurant that's at the top or high floor of one of the towers downtown...famous steak place, idk?

Old 02-13-2011, 10:28 AM

I wondered when someone would mention this. You're talking about Portland City Grill. While the view is great, the food is not. Its a chain restaurant based out of Seattle that used to be very good but now, its just another chain steak house. The bar area can get kind of sleazy in the evening hours.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:17 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,149,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastee View Post
Wouldn't the Riverplace Hotel be considered directly in the downtown area? I've lived here less than two years and I don't begin to understand the neighborhood cutoffs, close-in, etc. terminology.

The Riverplace Hotel looks very nice from the lobby. You couldn't be closer to the river without being on a boat. Since its at Riverplace, its a block or two from the streetcar free rail zone.

Mountain views during the day are nice (assuming the weather cooperates), but being near the river at night is very nice with all the lights being reflected.
Well, the Tourist Board will call it downtown. But I'm talking the heart of downtown. Where everything is. I've never stayed at the Riverplace, but we have (several years back) hosted a couple conventions at The Marriott, right across from it. So I've stayed there. And it was nice. The views (from the river side of the hotel) are phenomenal. There are a few nice restaurants nearby. But you're 13 blocks from Pioneer Square (really, the center of "downtown"). And there's not much but deserted (during the evening) office buildings in between. And most of the great restaurants, etc. tend to be out in the Pearl (another 13 blocks in the opposite direction). Another downside to it is, you're right at the only direct access in the downtown area to I-5. So, lots of cars, especially during the days.

But yeah, it's a nice. But, you're going to want transportation to get you downtown. For me, it's preferable to be able to walk out my hotel, and keep strolling.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:23 AM

Ok,

Thank you Enricov and Daisy.

Sad to hear about the City Grill.

With everyone's help (even though I love Marriott and suites I have decided to go closer in to dowtown. Now, do I want a water view hotel or a nice city hotel??? This is hard. So many nice hotels.

Well, I did forget to mention we're taking the Coast Starlight up to Union Station PDX, but I don't think it matters where we stay, we can catch a taxi to get to any hotel within 10-15 mins max, no?

Old 02-14-2011, 12:16 PM

Skip the Waterfront Marriott...the best restaurant they have at this location is Champions and is a sports bar and lounge...that should tell you a little bit about the quality of hotel.
Marriott has a property downtown off Broadway that is nice. A cab from Union to downtown would take about 5 minutes..its that close
You're not missing anything by not going to PCG
What do you plan to do during your stay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland