Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:33 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,447,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDNY View Post
Minneapolis has 200,000 fewer people than Portland. So much for a big, sophisticated city....

But, aside from that, who moves to PDX and doesn't know it rains a lot for 8+ months of the year?

The Minneapolis metropolitan area has 3.2 million people. The Portland metropolitan area has 2.2 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 09:02 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,098 times
Well, at least the OP is being honest. I don't think these boards see too many people who move to Portland with stars in their eyes and then are gutsy enough to get back on the boards and admit they made a mistake.

On the other hand, I don't think I'd move to Phoenix and start complaining two weeks later that it's already been 100 degrees in March.

And if you can't find good coffee you're not looking in the right places.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:29 AM

506 posts, read 1,313,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
The Minneapolis metropolitan area has 3.2 million people. The Portland metropolitan area has 2.2 million.

Yeah, so? I don't believe the term metropolitan area was used.

I hail from a metro area of 19-20 million. They both seem small to me. I like the fact that Portland has a bit of a small town feel to it. I've been to Minneapolis and the words "big and sophisticated" never popped into my mind.

It's not a bad place I just think that presenting Portland as a cowtown vs big or sophisticated Minneapolis is silly, especially when Portland's city proper population is so much bigger.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:20 AM

66 posts, read 144,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDNY View Post
Yeah, so? I don't believe the term metropolitan area was used.

I hail from a metro area of 19-20 million. They both seem small to me. I like the fact that Portland has a bit of a small town feel to it. I've been to Minneapolis and the words "big and sophisticated" never popped into my mind.

It's not a bad place I just think that presenting Portland as a cowtown vs big or sophisticated Minneapolis is silly, especially when Portland's city proper population is so much bigger.
Minneapolis has bigger roads/highways, you feel you are in a nice clean area. Portland seems smaller and older. No big 6 lane highways, with shiny buildings. Also mpls has a very sophisticated galleria area, uptown and lake minnetonka. These are all outside 'minneapolis' (edina and minnetonka).

Old 03-30-2011, 10:34 AM

986 posts, read 1,866,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffffffaaaaa1 View Post
Minneapolis has bigger roads/highways, you feel you are in a nice clean area. Portland seems smaller and older. No big 6 lane highways, with shiny buildings. Also mpls has a very sophisticated galleria area, uptown and lake minnetonka. These are all outside 'minneapolis' (edina and minnetonka).
If your idea of a nice city is defined by big highways, Walmart, Starbucks, and basically strip malls etc, you are never going to be happy in Portland. There are many cities like that in the US. Portland isn't one of them.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:57 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
If your idea of a nice city is defined by big highways, Walmart, Starbucks, and basically strip malls etc, you are never going to be happy in Portland. There are many cities like that in the US. Portland isn't one of them.
Exactly. And I totally agree with the people in this thread that commend honesty. It is great ffffffaaaaa1 is honest in his/her personal assessment of Portland.

The thing that doesn't make sense, to me, is how someone could be so very out-of-touch with the very basic trends, weather, etc. of a city they choose to uproot and move to. Especially a city like Portland which has such a distinct personality.

Maybe ffffffaaaaa1 needs to be more diligent in his/her research.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:16 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
All the weather forecasters have been saying that this has been an unseaonably cool and wet spring. I think the OP might want to give his/her stay a little more than two weeks to judge the weather. This has been an unusual season.

Regarding Starbucks, there are many other good coffee places in Portland that may stay open later. It wouldn't hurt to check them out. We do have WalMarts but not in the city. Clackamas comes to mind for example. One thing I do agree with from a pedestrians point of view is the drivers here.

Again I would suggest that the OP give Portland in general a bit more chance than just two weeks. I am curious as to what he/she was expecting before moving out here and how much research was done on the things that were important. I think you have to stay in a place for at least a year before really getting a good idea of what it's all about. That way the lay of the land, weather, lifestyles etc can be more fully explored.

But there's nothing wrong with moving on if one place does not suit you.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
I think this is exactly the problem. So much of America is like this (Walmart, strip malls etc.), you can't tell Sacramento from Kansas City from Tallahassee (except for the weather). People expect every place to be like every other place, so they come to Portland and find the city doesn't operate that way. For some it's a blessing, for others they start planning their next move 2 weeks after they arrive.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:24 AM

66 posts, read 144,150 times
well I am not planning on moving out. I think Minervah is right, will need more time. I may have lacked in some research can't lie about that. Portland is unique in its own ways, will have to take time to get to know it, acclimate.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffffffaaaaa1 View Post
well I am not planning on moving out. I think Minervah is right, will need more time. I may have lacked in some research can't lie about that. Portland is unique in its own ways, will have to take time to get to know it, acclimate.
Good for you. Embrace the differences and you may find you'll like it. Or you'll hate it, but either way you'll have given it a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland