Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 12:12 AM

2 posts, read 4,882 times

Advertisements

Sorry to hear that you are struggling with acclimating to your new home. While it is true that this spring has been particularly cold and wet, the truth is that you just made a major life transition, and as such, should expect to go through the same stages as anyone goes through when they move to a different area. For me it was very difficult, and my friends were actively advising me to move back to San Diego that first year. But I made a commitment to stay here for at least 2 years, and 18 years later I have more or less grown accustomed to the place. I love this city,this environment, her people.......I do tire of the gray weather at times, but not more so than I would tire of certain aspects of any place over time. So, give yourself a realistic time line, recognize that you will sometimes feel depressed, melancholy, out-of-place, whatever...get though it. Then see if this city is right for you. Best of luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 08:33 AM

76 posts, read 209,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I don't know anyone who actually likes rain.

Just for the record, I LOVE the rain. Absolutely adore it. I am sick of the sun and cannot wait to move.

Just sayin'. We do exist.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:36 AM

76 posts, read 209,938 times
Default "she only drinks coffee at midnight, when the moment is not right..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Coffee, as high in caffeine as it is has never become known as a nighttime refreshment.

Also, I drink coffee ALL the time. Day or night...

Old 04-02-2011, 10:35 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puerco View Post
It was announced earlier this week that the drought is officially over in California. That's saying a lot! Aside from the floods and landslides, the excess rain this year has really been beneficial.
That was a mistake. This will probably give people an excuse to waste water again.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:01 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I think there is one Wal-Mart in the city of Portland - on 82nd Street, a ways north of the Clackamas Town Center mall.
There are two Walmarts there on 82nd BTW. Both of which have made driving that street a nightmare.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:39 PM

682 posts, read 1,579,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puerco View Post
Actually, ffffffaaaaa1, summer begins on July 5th. It's always gloomy on the 4th.
Actually the correct (and by correct, I mean incorrect) tongue-in-cheek response is that summer begins the day after the Rose Parade (2nd Saturday in June).

Portland is one of, if not the best, metro areas to live in from June through October, good (but not ideal) through the holidays, and tough to handle from February-May. Here are some survival tips:

-Be a snow skier
-Enjoy storm watching on the coast
-Be a Trailblazer fan (especially helpful when they are playoff-bound)
-Take up jogging (ideal weather for this)
-Buy a lamp for Seasonal Affective Disorder
-Go someplace warm and sunny for a week or at least a long weekend (plenty of cheap fares to the desert southwest and sometimes Hawaii as well)
-Take advantage of the nice days (or partially nice days) when they come
-Coffee in the morning, Microbrews in the evening

Old 04-02-2011, 11:29 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cactus Leaguer View Post
Actually the correct (and by correct, I mean incorrect) tongue-in-cheek response is that summer begins the day after the Rose Parade (2nd Saturday in June).

Even though it seems that it's always raining Rose Festival Week.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:57 AM

9 posts, read 35,620 times
I got here from Hawaii 3 1/2 years ago and found myself with a job remodeling in SE. 35 degrees and raining putting up new siding on a house out on 90th and Division, November or December I think. I made it through that winter and spring and now just about 2 more of each so I'd say that if I can manage that, anyone coming from anywhere can manage one Portland spring. This one is kinda getting on my nerves though, it really does need to get warm and soon.

And I'm sorry but Wal-Mart exponentially sucks, I'm glad they're few and far between. (so does starbucks, at least hit up the Dutch Bros.)

Old 04-03-2011, 09:49 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewayneg View Post
I do tire of the gray weather at times, but not more so than I would tire of certain aspects of any place over time.
In these few words, you hit on something really important. The weather is only one aspect of Portland. It's not what Portland is all about, even though you might think so based on how much some people seem to obsess over it.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:07 AM

39 posts, read 68,574 times
Going back to the coffee, for some reason we can't figure out the east-coast secret. There are a lot of good coffee places but none that are great compared to what you get in little Italy in New York or even one in the MidWest. I'm talking more espresso than coffee.

Same goes for Italian as well as other European cuisine, especially bakeries. There's good but not great. I have family in Cleveland and as much as I prefer living in the Northwest, it's worth going back there for the food (but just to visit). There are some hidden gems out here and it's fun to try and go find them. Lot's of good happy hours to check out, good pub/movie theaters (drink beer while watching second run movies) and lots of live music. Also a lot of good thai and vietnamese food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland