Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 04:43 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,282,976 times

Advertisements

Bookstores, libraries, parks like Hoyt Arboretum , cozy cafes & shops. That is what I would be looking for. I also am not into the party scene (well, at my age who is, except Rod Stewart ). Goose Hollow sounds like a great place . I just can not wait for this school year to be over so that I can move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 05:14 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,026,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Bookstores, libraries, parks like Hoyt Arboretum , cozy cafes & shops. That is what I would be looking for. I also am not into the party scene (well, at my age who is, except Rod Stewart ). Goose Hollow sounds like a great place . I just can not wait for this school year to be over so that I can move there.
I saw him in concert recently (good show) he's still got that original voice.
I'm ok with kids partying, having fun etc...So long as it doesn't become violent, no problem. It would be wonderful to discover a city that's actually different from the rest of the U.S. Somewhere where people don't have to be scared to be themselves. It's truly a wonderful thing when you take a moment to enrich someone's life. If people brought out the good in others we certainly would have a much better world to live in.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:13 AM

From what I have been hearing Portland is a place like that. Of course, there are no utopias, but Portland is considered a 21st century San Francisco.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:03 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,183 times
Don't forget we've got the best library in the country!

Old 08-09-2007, 03:45 PM

Default thanks again oldtintype

Thank you oldtintype (I am not sure how to abbreviate that "oldie" ? , "tinny" ? ) I did check on that link to Goose Hollow. What wonderful places! Boy, I sure wish I could be there now . THey were just filled with charm and light . Can you imagine how much a condo like that would be in San Francisco , in the Russian Hill or Pacific Heights area !!!!!!! And, I think that I am going to be happier in Portland even . The best library AND the best bookstore. What could be better ?

Old 08-09-2007, 04:17 PM

147 posts, read 578,327 times
I don't know about the best library. The central library is not well stocked. I guess there are too many users. If you know what you want to read, you can put a hold on it, but popular books/dvds have long queue.
example - The Overlook, new book by Michael Connelly - 200 people has a hold on this.

Don't set your expectation too high, we have our problems too.
Goose Hollow is nice though.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo4 View Post
I don't know about the best library. The central library is not well stocked. I guess there are too many users. If you know what you want to read, you can put a hold on it, but popular books/dvds have long queue.
example - The Overlook, new book by Michael Connelly - 200 people has a hold on this.

How big is the central library and where is is located? I hear Portland's lbraries close early, is this true?

Speaking of Wi-Fi in Portland?

Old 08-09-2007, 04:47 PM

147 posts, read 578,327 times
central library is in the middle of downtown and is pretty large.
closes at 6pm most days, 8pm on Tuesday and wednesday.

free wi fi in portland - see metrofi

Old 08-09-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
central library is in the middle of downtown and is pretty large.
closes at 6pm most days, 8pm on Tuesday and wednesday.

free wi fi in portland - see metrofi

6pm WOW...that's early. Do most places/shops close early in Portland or do you have the late night /round the clock places?

Someone told me that Portland has free Wi-Fi everywhere, is that true?

Old 08-09-2007, 05:16 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,183 times
Quote:

There are 193 holds and 88 copies! Not a long wait. Most systems would have 10 copies. But seriously, have you used many public library systems before? If you have, and you look at the options, collection, and so on Mult. Co. is one of the best out there. Other people are envious when they see what we have--I know this from experience. Central Library has a majority of their collection in closed stacks. And yes, you can place free holds on anything you want, get it delivered and keep it for three weeks--no matter what the item is, or renew it a zillion times if there aren't holds. That's unheard of in most places, especially for DVDs and new books, not to mention the amount of stuff you can check out.

The system ranks number one in the country for circulation, is consistently rated number one or number two in national rankings overall, etc.

Our system rocks, and I've used many different systems!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: