Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2007, 06:33 PM

59 posts, read 92,668 times

Advertisements

I heard about Portland and the cold winds. How far around (on the map) does that happen? Looking at little towns all around the outskirts of Portland and having a difficult time understanding weather pattterns of the various areas. Hillsboro, Banks, Forrest Grove, Beaverton... ? Also, does it snow much in the area?
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 06:45 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Look on the map and look at the line of the Cascades - see the gap where the Columbia River comes through? That opening forms a venturi for the wind to drop down from the higher plateau on the eastern side of the Cascades into the metro area. From Hood River on into about the Portland Airport, we get Gorge effect winds and hence a colder, icier winter than most of Portland.

Most of the towns on the west side of the Portland Hills (Beaverton, etc) have calmer, slightly warmer weather in the winter (summer as well, although it's not as pronounced in the summer).

It might snow once or twice in the winter, or it might not snow at all. It rarely sticks, which is good, because we don't have much in the way of snow removal or sanding equipment here, and it'd make the morning commute pretty awful...

Old 08-06-2007, 10:46 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
I remember Beaverton area was called the "banana belt" when I lived there. Left for good in 2000, but the 7 years I was there, winds in winter were terrible, bitter cold with ice, sleet, freezing rain. True, when it snows it doesn't stick. But commuting in the rest of it is bad enough! When I was a poor PSU student, had to wait on the corner for the bus, and sleet hitting the legs not very fun! I was there when the big ice storm hit (1998?), throwing out power for several days. We got around with lanterns and candles, thankfully had a fireplace and plenty of wood stocked up. Very important in fall to already have your wood in the basement.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:45 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,183 times
Really? The only bad winds I've encountered were in the Gorge or outer NE area. I've lived in SE and downtown. Maybe those areas escape wind?

Old 08-07-2007, 12:13 PM

550 posts, read 3,266,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
Really? The only bad winds I've encountered were in the Gorge or outer NE area. I've lived in SE and downtown. Maybe those areas escape wind?
I grew up in the gorge and unless wind is REALLY bad, I hardly ever notice it, either. Maybe it just depends on what you're accustomed to.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:20 PM

59 posts, read 92,668 times
All good info, thanks everyone! Keep it coming...
We really like the way Banks is looking. We looked at the school webiste and it looks good and we called the chamber and they seemed nice. Now, to decide between outside of Portland or outside of Eugene! It's always just a feat of magic to find out all the details you think you need to know when in the end you just never know until you spend a little time in a place and meet a few local people. I'm really afraid of the cold winds. The rain is OK... but icy windy sleet? Ouch. I think I'd hate it.
I think we will plan a trip to the Portland area in the next two weeks... before school starts. I've been there, but never looking at it as a prospective home. That changes how you look and what you look at. We were in Eugene last month and liked it a lot. (we're sorta scared of the naked alternative love fair that our realtor warned us about though LOL!)

Watch out Portland.... here we come! Thanks everyone!

Old 08-07-2007, 06:26 PM

550 posts, read 3,266,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybeaches View Post
I'm really afraid of the cold winds. The rain is OK... but icy windy sleet? Ouch. I think I'd hate it.
Every wintertime in the gorge you'll get some icy sleet that comes at you sideways with the wind, but usually only during the occasional winter ice storm. Sorry, though, I'm not an expert on the areas you mentioned so I'm not much help with those.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland